Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

New American SSBNs???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torpedo Fodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"By using Blue Sun products you agree that your life, brain or body maybe used to test new Blue Sun products."

LMAO!! I think I'll go with that one...
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: I believe w should always have a Boomer Fleet Reply with quote

Gentleman;
I rode SSNs and SSBNs for many years, most of the Cold War, and I hope we always keep a viable number of Boomers.
One of you made the point of how they contributed to the winning of the Cold War. I believe that to be completely true. I know from the news that China has tried very hard to get the plans on our war heads, obviously for a reason, and certainly India could, at some point, present a problem.
A Boomer fleet gives all potential enemies cause to consider the threat to them if they decide to challange us.
I agree they are not much use against Terrorism, but we can and will face threats other than terrorist.

Respectfully,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(SS)
OptimusX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the "cheaper" alternatives to SSBNs that involve the Virginia included the idea of a "towed ballistic missile module." It basically looks like a minisub, except that it holds about 10 or so ballistic missiles.

The module is unmanned, of course, and basically the sub would just tug this thing around and use when needed. Of course, this severley limits the submarine's manuverability and speed....

My memory could be completely off...it's possible this towed module is only for TLAMs...but the size comparison in the sketch that I saw showed it to be a *big* unit...perhaps 25-35% of the Virginia's total volume. I don't know if this idea is in the pipeline or out the window though...

The question is though, do we really need an SSBN carrying around 200 nuclear warheads nowadays? I remember reading that the British navy no longer max out the nuclear warhead load of their SSBNs...their missiles apparently carry only a "deterrance load" on their missiles.

Perhaps a dozen Virginia subs with a few dozen warheads a piece will be more than enough deterrance against the capabilities of the other navies of the world.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting OptimusX, I remember reading the Germans wrote up plans for such a system for Nuclear Tiped V2s to bomb the USA. :hmm:

The problem with a towed unit is that it could be lost if the cable(s) brake.
Torpedo Fodder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do we really need an SSBN carrying around 200 nuclear warheads nowadays?

Well, the Trident II's are technically capable of carrying 12-14 warheads per missile in reduced-range configuration: remember, these are America's primary deterrant, designed to be effective even if all the other branches of America's nuclear forces have been destroyed: thus by themselves they must be capable of completely dismantling such large countries as Russia and China, SIOP style: meanwhile, Britain's deterrant probably isn't even enough to take down Moscow when you account for the ABM system protecting the city...
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do the Russians use for ABM? Long Range SAMs with nuclear warheads or something?

I remember vaguely reading they started to deploy something with nukes around Moscow in the 80's.

If it is nukes why doesn’t the USA use that for our ABM system instead of kinetic kill vehicles?
Torpedo Fodder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do the Russians use for ABM? Long Range SAMs with nuclear warheads or something?

Dedicated ABMs, of which the whole system (designated A-135) has two types comprising a total 100 missiles: 2/3s of thes are SH-08 "Gazelle" ABMs: these are hypersonic point-defence missiles designed to intercept incoming RVs after they enter the atmosphere: the remaining 1/3 are longer range SH11 "Gorgon" ABMs, designed to intercept missiles before warhead separation, while they are still in space. The missles are currently armed with nuclear warheads, but the Russians are apparently removing the warheads and upgrading the guidance systems so they can function as "hard-kill" missiles.

It should be noted that the Brits do employ penetration aids on their SLBM warheads designed to defeat ABMs, and in fact this was in derect response to the Moscow ABM system's original deployment in the '80s. However, after the penetration aids were first implemented, Britain's deterrant was still judged barely able to overwhelm the ABM shield with enough "leftover" warheads to effectivly nutralize the city, and the RN could launch alot more warheads at a time then it can now...

TLAM Strike wrote:
If it is nukes why doesn’t the USA use that for our ABM system instead of kinetic kill vehicles?

political considerations, I guess: theres also concern about EMP effects the ABMs could cause if they're actually used, but that would be nothing compared to what would happen if someone deliberatly detonated an ICBM exoatmospherically over the contenintal US, as demonstrated by the 1962 "Fishbowl" test, in which a 1.4MT warhead detonated at an altitude of 250 miles over the Pacific cause EMP disruptions (including power outages) up to 800 miles away.
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: I guess I am just old fashioned Reply with quote

I, maybe becuase I am 64, and the cold war was a major part of my life. I always doubted that it would ever end nd if it did, well it would end in blowing each other up.
Now with the current situation I see deterence worked, expensive as it was and always will be. I am sure I am biased, but having a weapon system like an FBM to keep the other guy honest is viable. With the Ohio class I believe 10 boats with the ww80 warheads would do that. If things go back in Russia, China become more aggressive, and honestly I don't know what India will do. I would sleep better with FBMs running silent and deep and the other guy knowing it, would tend to keep thed other guy honest.
I guess towing a module could work but if you had to go into shallow littorial waters to drop off seals what happens to the module? I will alway believe that FBMs are a unique class of boat, with one purpose keeping prospective bad guys nervous and worried. I also feel that after all the years and all the patrols they made they proved themselves. Getting rid of them all together would, in my opinon be a mistake. Ping

Happy Holidays,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
"The Old Nuke" Ping
OptimusX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the case, I'm not entirely sure what our SSBN future is. The Ohio boats are up to be decomissioned in the next 25 years or so...what is going to replace them when they reach their age? I know they plan on extending their operational lives, but that does not exclude needing a plan to replace them.
Sub Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Years Reply with quote

My gosh Optimus, I have not thought or even heard of Seabats in years. That sure brought back memories of pranks played on newbies. E.G. Squee-gee sharpner, keys to the feed pump reduction gears etc.

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: