Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Silly sub question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bograt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Silly sub question Reply with quote

I am not a sub guy and this may be a silly question. I apologize in advance if it is. I do not want to tip toe into OPSEC, so please ignore if it does.

I heard stories of old Canadian subs "resting on the bottom" (purposely Wink ). Is this correct, and if so do other navies use this tactic? Is this tactic used in modern sub sims?

Cheers,
Spectator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go on ground you risk damaging your boat badly, because you can never know if there are some sharp rocks or stuff like that, or maybe you get stuck in the sand because sea bottom can be like quicksand. another disadvantage: you can't use your towed array anymore.
Scion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not correct spectator... and this has been raised earlier...

Some navys routinely practice grounding their diesel boats... many of which do not have towed arrays anyway... The sub does not push down very hard on the sand... the trim is simply adjusted to give a slight negative boyancy, this provides all that is required to hold the boat on the ground. This cannot be done with nucs - the coolant pumps have to run 24/7, and grounding the boat risks sucking mud and other contaminants into the system.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some SSNs (and I guess some SS(K)s) have been modified to sit on the seabed, such as Halibut. But as Scion said its risky, even if they have Halibut style skids.
Smuook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peruvian 209's are rumored to be somewhat proficient at bottoming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thomasew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. as are the Australian Collins class Subs. Yep

I wouldn't necessarily say they are proficient at it, as that would suggest that some sort of skill was involved Confused ... rather, .. it's something they do quite naturally. Wink

Cheers
Tom
Fish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasew wrote:
.. as are the Australian Collins class Subs. Yep

I wouldn't necessarily say they are proficient at it, as that would suggest that some sort of skill was involved Confused ... rather, .. it's something they do quite naturally. Wink

Cheers
Tom

He he, you couldn't ignore the chance Tom? Very Happy
diver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.. as are the Australian Collins class Subs.

I wouldn't necessarily say they are proficient at it, as that would suggest that some sort of skill was involved ... rather, .. it's something they do quite naturally.

when has a collins ever sunk or bottomed, get over that crap its old and untrue.
Scion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accept the collins bashing and get over it :shifty:
Ramius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scion wrote:
Accept the collins bashing and get over it :shifty:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lt. Staumeier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy @ everyone

You really take your subs personally, don't you Wink

Well, I'm swede so I don't have many subs to be proud of Razz. The Gotland, however, is quite nice. Though not very suited for deep sea operation. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
diver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Accept the collins bashing and get over it

no, bash something that deserves it. The canadian subs are troubled, almost sank a month or two ago and a crewman was killed, russian subs are constantly sinking, a year or two ago a chinese sub had an accident and everybody on board died, why bash the collins that has never had a major accident and nobody has ever been hurt on one, and they perform very well. Is it jealousy or just idiotism that drives collins bashing, cause it sure isn't anything wrong with the collins. There are many ferked up sub in the oceans, the collins class are not any of them, so give it a rest.

Seriously what drives collins bashing? i cant see any reason for it
Scion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it sorts the men from the boys... as evident here.
Fish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
Quote:
Accept the collins bashing and get over it

no, bash something that deserves it. The canadian subs are troubled, almost sank a month or two ago and a crewman was killed, russian subs are constantly sinking, a year or two ago a chinese sub had an accident and everybody on board died, why bash the collins that has never had a major accident and nobody has ever been hurt on one, and they perform very well. Is it jealousy or just idiotism that drives collins bashing, cause it sure isn't anything wrong with the collins. There are many ferked up sub in the oceans, the collins class are not any of them, so give it a rest.

Seriously what drives collins bashing? i cant see any reason for it

He Diver, this is an everlasting joke, you are here for to short a time to understand. Neutral\
There are more....let me think, beer was involved if I remember right. :hmm:
diver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He Diver, this is an everlasting joke, you are here for to short a time to understand.
There are more....let me think, beer was involved if I remember right.

but if stupid jokes like these make australians doubt therir navy, and not want to join because of this mis-information then it is damaging. I won't get over it when i know people who have told their family members not to join because of they beleive crap like this (even though sub service is voluntary), so i can't just accept it as a joke. When public opinion is turning against the governent in military procurment and spending money on new things, and the pacifists use the collins as an example of why we shouldnt build up our military i can't take this stuff as a joke.
Maybe in Europe you can think of your navies as a status simble, but down here we need everything and everybody, Austrlia is the eye in a very dangerous storm, so i wont handle our subs being doubted by our own people. So it maybe just a joke here, but it extends far deeper in Australia, that is why i cannot let it slide.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: