Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

How do you work out AOB
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanzfeld

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that AOB is just used to calculate the targets coarse. With this this I can arrive at a solution. I like the idea of using AOB to calculate a target heading then put this into the TDC for a preset bearing, match, and shoot. Razz :hmm: Rock
Kron161

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubi and the dev team said that SH3 would be a "captain simulator".

In real life U-boot captain did not have to do the calculations himself: He just read the bearings and observation data he could work out from the target through the periscope and say them aloud for the first officer sitting next to him in the conning tower in front of the TDC console to work the data out with the slide rules and feed the refined data in to the TDC...

Nevertheless U-boot captains were expected to be totally proficient at the process and to be able to work out the necessary data to fire a torpedo by just mental calculation. Without need of slide rules! (impressive, huh?).

Anyway, I do stand along with Ubi on that "captain simulator" concept, and although it may be cool at a due time to do all the calculations by oneself, just for the sake of it. I think that a real "hardcore" process where you are expected to do much of the work, on long term basis will be a pain and will affect on the playability of the game, therefore, I do want to take just the observation data and have the first officer in the conning tower do all the maths for me (That's why he is payed for! isn't it? ) Rotfl
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: