Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

AI torpedo detection

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: AI torpedo detection Reply with quote

Will AI in DW, like a foxtrot for example, still be able to detect your ACTIVE torpedo even when homing in their baffles?
holyspirit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I'd like to know too but i think there's only a veryyyy sliiiim chance of this kind of realism. I think detection is stil simplyl about keeping the distance.
Angle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of torpedos. Hope passives won't go after dead platforms anymore Smile
Hutch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions, Angle, I'll have to check those out...

Hutch
Hutch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyspirit wrote:
I think detection is stil simplyl about keeping the distance.

No, there's more- all sensors have acquisition cones. Active Intercept shouldn't pick up anything in its baffles.

Hutch
Cochonou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, but wouldn't the crew hear the torpedo "ping" echoing on the hull regardless of the cone of acceptance of the active intercept detector ?
badhat17

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How realistic is it having a baffled area of detection on an active intercept receiver ?
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably quite.

It seems to me that the active intercept functionality uses the spherical array for its input. That provides its limitations in baffles and speed. Yep, speed too. In SC, active intercept stops at 25 knots. Or is that 26?

As for hearing the pings hit the hull, sure... if something distorts the sound from 20khz (torpedo pings are usually around here) to 15khz. 20khz is about what the human ear is capable of hearing, in its "virgin" state which means newborn. The grown man usually has ~15khz as max frequency he can perceive - unaided. The "aid" is usually part of the active intercept sensor.

You'd not know more than that a ping had happened for those at lower frequencies though. The sector (baffles) in which it happened, since active intercept didn't show anything, but not where in it. Certainly not accurately enough for TMA.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaHuJa wrote:
It seems to me that the active intercept functionality uses the spherical array for its input.

No the Active Intercept is a diffrient sensor. On US subs its the WLR-9 the Spherical Array is the BQQ-5D.
Rip

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that's about the limit of the info you will get about the real world active detection abilities. People who know, also know better than to discuss such things.

What the game does will be more important, and I'm ready to wait and test it for myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware the AI is in the bow so it will have a baffle zone.

Maybe Ramius can correct me but on RN subs that little tower on the bow is the Active Intercept receiver.
Angle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Foxtrot.. I set up a mission where a kara was up against 6 shallow and cavitating foxtrots to test how many torpedos the helix drop (3 apparantly). Anyways the Foxtrots would sit there a dive then run shallow, dive then run shallow. And I noticed that after a small time they didn't cavitate anymore. Even when going 10 knots at 60 feet.

Got my attention so I started launching 35 knot active torpedos at them so I can enable and pre-enable back and forth to test the torpedos cavitation and noticed that after a bit they would stop cavitating too!

Not just the graphical representation of cavitation in 3d but also their signatures in the broadband.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: