Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

GREEK OPERATION FORCES AND DANGEROUS WATERS

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olympus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: GREEK OPERATION FORCES AND DANGEROUS WATERS Reply with quote

Hello all AirNavy fanatic friends.
We are GREEK OPERATION FORCES bigest Game Clan in Greece.
www.greekopforces.gr
We"ll joined and play DW from the first moment that it Realased.
We need all Greek Players that can help us to make our Navy section (already have Army and Air ).
Until now 19 of our boys want to play DW, so we need Greeks Trainers.
Please Contact me : olympus@greekopforces.gr
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeks, cool that should be fun...

If you have ever heard the noise a group of Greek men make ever thought how loud one of their subs would be regardless of the fact that they are decent subs....

Con, Sonar: Loud contact to the east, singing, sounds like the Zorbos....and plates breaking....

Sonar, Con: UZO

Joking Joking Joking Joking
xenonguy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,i am from Turkey:)
i could be your counterpart:)
btw,some sort of greek and turkish naval warfare would be could in dw,which is likely.
Stewy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeks vs Turks - sounds a bit full on!

But all the more case for a Western Diesel intrerface!
xenonguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey olmpus i am on the turkish-greek defence forum,we could expand this idea.Your AIP submarines would make sense in the aegean theatre,so sour Perrys
Olympus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK friend its seems good idea.We had play a match in Battlefield 1942 with a Turkish team and all was very cool guys.
If you want come in our Forum and write something (in English of course ),and maybe give me and your forum.
Neptunus Rex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time, A Long Time Ago, while in the sub service, I heard of an urban myth (or Navy myth).

It went like this.

Many moons ago it seems, the USA leased/sold several venerable GUPPY boats to Turkey, and one of them, their first dive, they left the hatches open! :hmm:

Anyone else hear of this? Not casting dispersions here, just trying to dispell an old myth.

Last edited by Neptunus Rex on Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
xenonguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah sure,do you know that Turkey is one of the first submarine users in the world that starts in 1880's.Turkey,actually ottoman empire was using submarines when Greece had not heard the name of submarines.

You should better learn about history before insulting people.

For more information:http://www.turkishnavy.net/submarine/hist1.htm
Spectator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenonguy wrote:
Turkey,actually ottoman empire was using submarines when Greece had not heard the name of submarines.

Quote:

Later the Greek government bought this first Nordenfelt submarine for 9,000 pounds. Sultan Abdülhamid, who was afraid of the tensions between Greece and the Ottoman Empire, ordered the Naval Ministry to buy two submarines from Nordenfelt, 11,000 pounds each, capable of firing 3 torpedoes. The submarines were to be delivered in 2.5 months.
Neptunus Rex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenonguy wrote:
oh yeah sure,do you know that Turkey is one of the first submarine users in the world that starts in 1880's.Turkey,actually ottoman empire was using submarines when Greece had not heard the name of submarines.

xenonguy,

As I stated, I was not trying nor intending to insult anyone. To imply that I was is an insult by itself.

That being said, if I have offended you, too bad. In general I do not, as personal policy, apologize if there was no intent.

I had heard this back in 1982 after reporting to my first boat. (For those listening and unaware, submariners in the U.S. Navy refer to submarines as "boats". It's a service custom.) I was in discussion with the Chief Quartermaster (Enlisted navigator) and he was getting into his "Sea Story" mode. (This particular chief had entered the sub service in the late '50's), and out of the blue, he mentioned this alleged Turkish submarine, something about being in the turnover training crew.

I mentioned this to see if this "Myth" could be dispelled.
xenonguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sorry if i am mistaken,well everything can happen in the world,it could happen to Greece,Turkey and even USA.

Do you remember a nuclear submarine(Los Angeles Class)while surfacing ,hit a fishercraft killing tens of japanese students,that happened 1-2 years ago.There are lots of incidents like that,maybe the story would be true,i don't know,as you know more than 80 sailor are enlisted on the guppy class submarines and as you know Turkey and Greece are still pursuing mandatory conscription,your officers in the boat would be great but one of your 18 years old enlisted man would be so dumb to forget to close the hatch.

In conclusion,there is no perfect army,navy or airforce in the world that does not make mistake,the important thing is not arrogating such incidents to whole armed forces or a nation..

Regards,
Nireas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Xenonguy,
I hope DW will have succes on the market so that we can have an add on with the new Type 214 sub equiped with AIP.You are right it would be cool to have some scenarios with O.H. Perry vs Type 214. But in the begining we can start with a Kilo vs O.H. Perry.Hope to have DW for Cristmas.
xenonguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,still can't understand,U series are the best selling submarines in the world,that is widely used in Brazil to Greece,it would be better to include U 209 or series rather than Kilo.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its because the Kilo is an OPFOR platform (the only other OPFOR platform in DW is the Akula while NATO has several others) while the Type 209 is generally found in NATO or Friendly nations fleets. Also the Kilo is operated by nations like Iran, China and India, which are more likely to be conflict areas than Brazil, or Greece (well maybe not Greece).

Also the 209 is quite old compared to the Kilo; Late 70’s IIRC vs. still being built.

Also the 209 can't shake a stick at the combat capablitys of the Kilo.
Nireas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Kilo is the best OPFOR diesel sub but the new German Type 212 and 214 is now the best diesel sub in service( Germany, Italy and Greece use them).In MP games we often see US vs US or Russian vs Russian subs.I think the type 212 or type 214 equiped with DM2A4 or Black Shark torpedoes will have good chances against SSNs.It has new sonar and it's equiped with TA.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: