Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Sonobuoys' RF comms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amrcg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Sonobuoys' RF comms Reply with quote

Dear all

I am looking for information about the RF communications between sonobuoys and monitoring platforms (e.g. P-3C Orion). More specifically I would like to know the following:

1) What is the usual RF frequency band used for communications between sonobuoys and monitoring platforms? VHF?

2) Does the sonobuoys transmit the sensed noise to the monitoring platform using an analog modulation or are there any sonobuoy types that digitize the noise prior to transmission?

3) Does the transmitted data consist only on noise samples or is there any additional digital data resultant from pre-processing (e.g. direction of noise in the case of directional sonobuoys, SNR, GPS positioning, etc.)?

4) In the case of digital communication what are the most used communication protocols? Are there any specification documents?

5) What is the usual RF comm range? Does it impose practical limits to the area being monitored by a single platform?

6) What is the usual sonobuoy dropping pattern/procedure and what is the usual number of sonobuoys required to monitor a given area.

7) Could you specify your answers to the above with references to apecific sonobuoy models and manufacturers?

Cool Where can I find detailed documentation on the above?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Antonio Grilo
NefariousKoel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing some of the answers you're looking for are classified.
Looney11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from experience that a lot of those questions are classified information Smile

The only think i could dig up from our friends at FAS.org was

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/an-ssq-62.htm
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep quite a few seem classified though I guess some real navy guys can give clues if not definite answers.
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XabbaRus wrote:
Yep quite a few seem classified though I guess some real navy guys can give clues if not definite answers.

That wouldn't be a good idea. :shifty:
Beer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Demon wrote:
XabbaRus wrote:

That wouldn't be a good idea. :shifty:

As they say out here in the oil patch with a thick Wayne County Mississippi accent...

"Thats Right"
compressioncut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question 1) is not classified - they transmit essentially in the FM band. There are restrictions on using them in certain areas because of it. You get some Mexican Radio station instead of the buoy on a channel or two at the SOAR range, for example. And occasionally taxi cab company comms from Vancouver in area Whiskey Golf, et cetera.

The rest of the stuff, um, well, no.
amrcg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the answers. I'll definitely try to contact a P-3C Orion crew in Portugal. The reason of all this is that I am working on a way to improve RF communications in sensor networks.

Regards,
Antonio
amrcg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Sonobuoys RF comms in DW? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there will be any range limits for RF communications between sonobuoys and monitoring platforms? I believe that in real life the usual frequencies (VHF or UHF) are high enough to place a significant limit on range.

Regards,
Antonio
Nitro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, VHF and UHF are both LOS-dependant... If you've got a clear line-of-sight, and enough transmitting power, you can talk to just about anything. However, the LOS dependancy becomes an issue for anything located at ground/sea level due to the earth's curvature, which is why the VHF radio antenna on my sailboat is wayyyyy the hell up at the top of my 60-foot mast. Altitude = Range

Now, if you want to factor in any atmospheric "skip" you might get, you can open up a whole other can of worms... I pick up transmissions from a coast guard station more then 200nm away, with both land and sea between us, on a regular basis.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sonobuoys RF comms in DW? Reply with quote

amrcg wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be any range limits for RF communications between sonobuoys and monitoring platforms? I believe that in real life the usual frequencies (VHF or UHF) are high enough to place a significant limit on range.

Regards,
Antonio

Yes, Line-of-Sight is required.
amrcg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, VHF and UHF are both LOS-dependant... If you've got a clear line-of-sight, and enough transmitting power, you can talk to just about anything. However, the LOS dependancy becomes an issue for anything located at ground/sea level due to the earth's curvature, which is why the VHF radio antenna on my sailboat is wayyyyy the hell up at the top of my 60-foot mast. Altitude = Range

However, if I'm not in error, the sonobuoys rely on batteries to energize all their activity. To increase the transmit power may cuse a sonobuoy's lifetime to become even shorter. I am correct? If yes, I'd like to know how (or whether) DW will simulate these issues.

Antonio
Scion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transmitter has a double setting on the family yacht - 5 watts for close talk - and 25 for long range.
Smuook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power setting on sonobuoys are .25W for BT's and 1W for just about everything else. Although the life settings can be adjusted (up to 8 hours max on certain buoys) the RF coverage is based off line-of-site limitations as stated earlier in this thread. So basically, if you have a large pattern in the water you may have to be at a higher altitude to receive all the buoys. The transmitter power cannot be adjusted.

The sea state can also cause loss of coverage by washing over the bouy.... but it has to be pretty high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
amrcg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smuook wrote:
The power setting on sonobuoys are .25W for BT's and 1W for just about everything else.

Could you please tell me what "BT" is ? Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: