Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Headphones...... Yes or No?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Headphones...... Yes or No? Reply with quote

In preparation for DW's release I've been considering a pair of headphones (w/mike of course). There are some new ones out there with everything from 5.1 surround sound to Force Feedback. Was wondering what everyone's opinion on the subject is. Do headphones help or hinder gameplay and the experience?
Egan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience of using headphones in Sub Command lasted until I heard some active sonar (This was before they sorted out the loudness in a patch.) My ears still haven't recovered....

Having said that I have toyed with the idea of getting a set of 5.1 cans. Force feedback ones I have never heard of but it sounds very cool. I might have to take a look at them myself.
Driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out Egan. http://www.edimensional.com/product_info.php?ref=45&products_id=30&affiliate_banner_id=9"%20target="_blank
Smuook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a pair of Sennheisers and I like them very much. These let me hear the sound at a good level and not disturb others in the house. The sound quality is very good and the mic works well. Sometimes I forget I have them on. These are not cheap though...

Here's what I own:

http://www.sennheisercommunications.com/pr-pc155.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smuook! Thumbs Up These look pretty good! In keeping with this topic I'm wondering if having a good set of headphones can actually help when you're listening for sonar contacts? Seems like (at least for a rookie like me) that most of the sonar work is done visually and not by audio, at least when you're searching for faint contacts. Any thoughts? :hmm:
Angle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egan wrote:
My only experience of using headphones in Sub Command lasted until I heard some active sonar (This was before they sorted out the loudness in a patch.) My ears still haven't recovered....

Having said that I have toyed with the idea of getting a set of 5.1 cans. Force feedback ones I have never heard of but it sounds very cool. I might have to take a look at them myself.
]

Which patch fixed the ping loudness? I'm running 1.08 and it is really loud.

I noticed that I could lower the volume in the sound options but lose volume with several of theo ther instruments. Is there a way to just lower the volume of pings?
Zerogreat

Location: Czech Republic, Prague, coordinates are sumthin like 50,10 North 14,25 East, not much accurate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Angle"]
Egan wrote:
Is there a way to just lower the volume of pings?

Yes, it is. Open subcommand.ini in notepad (or other plain text editor) and look for something like:

.MaxPingVolume 40

That number is maximal sound volume of a ping. You can enter any number you want, lower nomber, less louder ping sound.
Skybird

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angle wrote:
Egan wrote:

]

I noticed that I could lower the volume in the sound options but lose volume with several of theo ther instruments. Is there a way to just lower the volume of pings?

Look in to the ini-file, there is a reading with a value of 80, entitled sonar or something, reduce it to let's say 50.
Fish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:
Thanks Smuook! Thumbs Up These look pretty good! In keeping with this topic I'm wondering if having a good set of headphones can actually help when you're listening for sonar contacts? Seems like (at least for a rookie like me) that most of the sonar work is done visually and not by audio, at least when you're searching for faint contacts. Any thoughts? :hmm:

Yeah, your right, its all visually.
Driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Fish! That answers my basic question. There doesn't appear to be any gaming advantage to using headphones. Although it's probably an advantage when issuing voice commands. Can't tell you how irritating it is to issue a voice command for a depth change and have the AI respond "SURFACE, SURFACE!" :huh:
sonar732

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:

In RL, it was a mixture of both. You could get a rough estimate of speed and TPK by listening to the contact. I spent many hours in a simulator with just a pair of headphones on listening to recordings for this purpose. However, this is in another topic.

In 688(I), Sub Command, and now Dangerous Waters, the sonar console is mostly visual. I just like the memories of ultizing everything.
Egan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to set the INI setting really low to get any benefit. About 25 or so but i'm pretty senstive to noise and I like the creepy sound of a distant ping over the rest.

lrankine: Thanks for the link! They look great and not too expensive. I think I might get a set when I upgrade my computer. I used to use a pair of Senhausers that I bought when I used to DJ but I was never over keen on them for playing games with. (Mind you, they were the best phones I ever had for DJ'ing in a club on a saturday night with- totally rock solid and loud enough that you could hear what you were doing without any irritating distortion. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up )
Driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Sonar! Seems like you should be able to utilize both the audio and the visual since that's RL and this IS a simulation. I'm guessing that's something that might be outside the envelope for this game engine..........Hey Jamie, if you're listening (no pun intended) any thoughts?

Last edited by Driftwood on Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skybird wrote:
Angle wrote:
Egan wrote:

]

Look in to the ini-file, there is a reading with a value of 80, entitled sonar or something, reduce it to let's say 50.

Thanks Skybird. I've been in the ini before and just plain overlooked it. thanks!
Fish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrankine wrote:
Thanks for the reply Fish! That answers my basic question. There doesn't appear to be any gaming advantage to using headphones. Although it's probably an advantage when issuing voice commands. Can't tell you how irritating it is to issue a voice command for a depth change and have the AI respond "SURFACE, SURFACE!" :huh:

Gaming advantage! Sure there is, no kids no wife, no nois from the neighbours. Its just you and the ocean. Neutral\
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: