Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Beer's second P-3 installment
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssn724

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice play by play!

And I thought I had alot of choices between subs! Very Happy
Bograt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer,

I haven't read your biography, were you an P-3 NAV or AESOP?

edited
I just read one of your threads, and I am assuming you were a driver.
Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Bograt, I was a NAVCOMM/TACCO in P-3C UII, and UII.5's. Did a Junior Officer tour to pay back the Navy for a scholarship and took an early out with the RIF (Reducion in Force) programs VSI/SSB to pursue a career in the Merchant Marine (no sense going to a Maritime Academy and getting a license to never sail on it).

This game is gonna be a Keeper Thumbs Up.
donw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: P3 replacement Reply with quote

Beer....
How do you feel about the P3's being replaced by a 737??

Personally...I think the P3 has a lot more class and rich history...will hate to see them go
Looney11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called modernizing, progress, the next thing, the future...

Without it, we'd still be in a cave smashing stones together making a fire...
Savages_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Cool! Reply with quote

Hey All,

Just read the preview myself, very cool! Thumbs Up I have to say Dangerous Waters is getting more of my attention every day now! Cant wait to try the P3 myself Very Happy

Wolfy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Three14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying several times now and I just have to admit it.

I can't load Biohazard. I don't think it's a Chinese firewall thing, but whatever it is is doing a good job of keeping me from Beer's masterpiece.

Any chance that the text could be posted here, or that a mirror to the article could be made?
Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three14 I copied it as a Word Doc hehe I find it amusing China has Biohaz blocked :8Cool
Try Down Loading from the link below its about 1.23 megs, the screenshots will not be full size but you should be able to get the overall idea of what is being done in the downsized screen.

BioHaz Preview #2

Very Much off topic for this thread donw, but you asked :hmm:

As for the 737 replacing the P-3C I think it is a long needed hardware/software update (but not the best choice for the task). I do not think the two engine low and slow in a 737 is as safe as four engines of the P-3C, have a bird strike and ingest a seagull in one engine and its time to Return To Base, have the same happen in a P-3 (or P-7) and your still in the fight with three engines.

The 737 is not new to the NAV/TACCO's as they get their overwater Navigation Training in the USAF T-43's. The plane has plenty of room for the electronic hardware and stations and is an fairly easy plane to modify for the task (expenses minimized).

IMHO the decision is purely political and economical (As all these decisions are). Political in the sense of the long dead P-7 LRACCA (Designed from the ground up for the Mission, without doubt would be the better plane for the mission) contract never happening and economical in that they are using an existing airframe already tooled with spares parts logistics located throughout the world.

The true winners are actually gonna be the Pilots, and the maintainers as they will have airframe maintenance expeirence and PIC (Pilot in Command Time) of existing airline aircraft. This is going to make these guys/gals very marketable outside the Navy, which may cause personnel retention issues down the road for keeping these guys in. Love for ASW does not pay the Bills, when you can make 80k+ a year (as a Airline Pilot) and work 10 days a month, vice making way less and have to put up with 6 month deployments; or in the case of a maintainer going home everyday making more with no deployments. which would you choose for your family?

Good decision to update the equipment, however the spirit of competitive bidding and fair contract negotiation (based on actual needs) seems to be dead.
Three14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Beer...not just a read, but a tickling of the eyes and the mind. In fact, I might even read it again right now!

Looks like one can get overloaded quite quickly in the P3.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: