Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Virginia-Class and SCU?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettDez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Virginia-Class and SCU? Reply with quote

Has anyone made a mod for SCX IIc where you can make the Virginia playable?
Scion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of... Perhaps for DWX Wink Wink Wink
SeawolfMikee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trying to make my own playable Virginia class submarine. I've created my own "mixed" interface using mostly the stations from the Seawolf submarine interface (since it has a Wide Aperture Array Sonar and modern touch screen controls like the Virginia class sub would have) with the exception of the weapons control stations which I use from the 688I interface (since the Virginia class sub has 4 torpedo tubes and 12 missile tubes like the 688I class.

To make this interface playable you must rename it to one of the playable interfaces and update the controllers.ini file to show the ship class number -288- next to the interface that you have renamed it to. Prior to this you would rename the original interface to something else. I have SCU installed so I rename the original Usersub interface and rename the Virginia interface that I have created to Usersub and in the controllers.ini file I go to where the USERSUB interface and change the ship class number next to it to 288.

I haven't finished working on this yet. I still need to make updates to the database to make the Virginia class sub fully playable. If anyone is interested in obtaining the interface that I have created please feel free to contact me.
BrettDez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Well, Reply with quote

When you've finished the whole project, you could always put it together and submit it as a download. I'm sure Neal might put it up or maybe the SCU guys would use it.
Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I made the Oscar, the Mike and the Daphne Playable, but I don't think the SCU guys were very happy about it!
I asked Jsteed for the .bin files to have the correct loadouts, but...

...until now... still waiting!
OptimusX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the mike or the daphne, but the limitations of the software will not let you accurately model all of the Oscar's available tubes...which is probably why this "favorite" was left out of SCU.

As for the Viriginia (and this is IMHO), I see it as just a gimped Seawolf (same noise but fewer weapons), so why bother? Ping
The Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmmmmmmmmmmm, are't you forgetting the VLS system, the new reactor, and the next generation fire control system (BSY-3 isn't it) plus the fact that the Virginia is designed to operate in Litoral environments. (what do u think the bottom sonar dome is for), I think the Virginia would be a great sub to add to SCU, its on the top of my SCU wish list, closly followed by the Oberons, and Skipjacks.
Driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brett, nice sig! Looks like it would make a great wallpaper. Where'd you get it?
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda agree with The Bandit, it’s a Seawolf: lite. The VLS really has only one purpose today, Launching TLAMs. Four additional torpedo tubes would be fair more useful since they can launch in addition to MK48s the next gen UUVs and SAMs that are being developed. Now 8 Torpedo Tubes in addition to the VLS system would give it some serous punch.

But all things considered the VAs have the feel of a boat that’s just filling the void between the two ground braking submarines of the end of the last two decade (688(i) and Seawolf) and what ever is developed 20 years from now.
BrettDez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Irankine... Reply with quote

The link for that picture is http://www.mrcds.com/images/Seawolf.jpg
Driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brett!
OptimusX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major reason we are producing Virginia class SSNs is based on cost. The cost of building a VA class is roughly 60% the total cost of a single Seawolf.

A committee pitched the idea of building the better Seawolf submarines at a rate of 1 every other year....this was deemed unacceptable at maintaining the force. Therefore, we are now doing the VAs at roughly 1 boat a year.

As for the combat system, the Seawolf combat system is upgrading from the BSY-2 to the BYG-1 total integrated system. I assume that this is the same or similar combat system being used on the VAs.

I'm sure the smaller hull and the bottom dome sonar will give it some littoral advantages, but as far as total firepower and staying power, IMO the Seawolf is still the greatest nuclear submarine design.

And even though the VA class is a smaller boat, the crew requirements are not that much less than the Seawolf...which boat would YOU rather be cramped up in Ping
Pingjockey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having been around the forums in a while I hope some people remember me.

Anyway, I a crew member on board PCU Texas SSN-775 (A first class sonarman I may add) and I have had the chance to ride the USS Virginia.

It's by far the quietest boat I have ever seen, period. The BYG-1 is a great CC system and the AN/BQQ-10 makes the BSY-2 suite look tame.

The seawolf is a great design, but the Virginia class is designed to alot of things it can't.

Pingjockey
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrettDez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Well, Reply with quote

So no one has come up with a playable Virginia-Class yet?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: