Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Your Favorite platform?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your favorite platform?
Oliver Hazard Perry
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
MH-60 Helo
26%
 26%  [ 26 ]
P-3C Orion
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Akula
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
Kilo
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Seawolf
21%
 21%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 98

Heppuli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Furia! Yep
Stewy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
Stewy wrote:
Although I won't be truly satisfied until a Western Diesel addon is made after the release of DW Yep

[Collins Bashing]
Until then entertain your self with this Collins Simulator.

[/Collins Bashing]

Nice one TLAM - I'll have to pay that.... Laughing
Ramius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

ahhh nice to see the Collins bashing hasn't stopped Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
diver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find collins bashing odd coming from a german, it is no longer 1942, german subs are no longer good.
Scion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
german subs are no longer good.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

You have NO idea what you are talking about there mate... :nope:

They only build the best Non-Nukes in the world... Does type 212 mean anything to you? No? What about Type 214 (Not a diesel). Doesnt use nukes at all. I hold german sub builders in higher regard to American subs...

BTW, Im not german, Im a Kiwi...
diver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a kiwi, thats even worse mate, what would a kiwi know about subs.
anyway german subs, the best conventionals in the world? my god there is to much mercury in the drinking water in the land of the long white cloud, i guess you fail to think about japanese, australian, swedish and a few others, the german subs currently in service (all that counts) are crap in comparison Neutral\
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....... Don't forget the Russian SS and SSKs Diver. When it comes to firepower they don't skimp.

Plus its Superpower grade weapons at Mad Dictator prices over there. Laughing
Looney11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted MH60 for one, I believe it is a versatile platform. My second platform would be the OHP and P-3.
TexasAggie99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OHP is my favorite, not only because I served aboard one, but I think even though she is becoming old and outdated, she is still a very capable ship.

Go Surface Navy

-Aggie :sunny:
Biggoggs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it remains to be seen how well they each play, but as this is a subsim.com board, I'll probably go with the Seawolf, but not until I've played the new UH-60 platform (longtime copter & aircraft enthusiast here) Smile

I'd like to try all of them for a bit of variety...

Cheers
Scion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
a kiwi, thats even worse mate, what would a kiwi know about subs.

Well in this case, obviously more than an Aussie...

Lets have a look at the subs you mentioned...

Japan: Quite nice looking subs, based on the US designs... resonably quiet, however they have a High TPK, meaning they make a racket whenever they try and move...

Australia: Well, as above, with high technology, but used to be "noiser than a rock band", and are still plagued with welding problems, leaks, contaminated water etc etc etc.... If I recall correctly there was a report presented to the Aussie government listing over 200 things wrong with these boats. The only real difference to the Japanese boats (above) is that instead of making a lot of noise when they try and move... they just sink instead!!! Great!

To follow on, as TLAM rightly pointed out, here is a nice Collins Simulator for your enjoyment...

Sweeden: It is difficult fault the Gotland, it is a very capable and good boat, but suffers from a lack of torpedo tubes (4), and a loadout of 12 fish maximum... Nice and handy, but not the best.... I cant find information about the stealt of these, but would still take a 209, 212 or a 214 over these any day...
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotlands have 6 tubes not 4. 4 are 533mm tubes and 2 are 400mm tubes for ASW torps. They can also be equiped with 48 mines in an external girdle.

Of course I would take a Kilo, Amur or Tango over any of those boats. Wink
diver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Australia: Well, as above, with high technology, but used to be "noiser than a rock band", and are still plagued with welding problems, leaks, contaminated water etc etc etc.... If I recall correctly there was a report presented to the Aussie government listing over 200 things wrong with these boats. The only real difference to the Japanese boats (above) is that instead of making a lot of noise when they try and move... they just sink instead!!! Great!

used to be noisy, now one of the quietest subs in the world. welding problems were only for THE HMAS Collins and have since been rectified. leaks have been taken care of, not their anymore, contaminated water i will admit is still their, and a bad problem, but this problem does not restrict how the subs operate, just how the crew drinks.
they dont sink, name one that has, and they dont make a lot of noise, many times in wargames they have "sunk" US carriers, evading the US battle group in the process, as well as sinking many numerous other ships in many wargames. Unless you are currently a sonarman on a ship tracking a collins, then how would you know just how noisy they are.
their have been teething issues, but when austrlia takes on its first sub building program ever (as opposed to buying off-the-shelf british) then thats to be expected, but they are fixed now, so shut up.
Pigfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
their have been teething issues, but when austrlia takes on its first sub building program ever (as opposed to buying off-the-shelf british) then thats to be expected, but they are fixed now

Good call. Try buying second hand British subs.... Sad Joking

Sea Demon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
THE HMAS Collins and have since been rectified. leaks have been taken care of, not their anymore, contaminated water i will admit is still their, and a bad problem, but this problem does not restrict how the subs operate, just how the crew drinks.

Yes. The Australians have a very capable sub force with the Collins class. And they have done a great job in fixing the problems associated with the subs. The Collins is an awesome platform. Thumbs Up GO AUSSIES!

But I'm not too impressed with the diesel or AIP designs myself. In a broader context of war, these subs would easily be rendered ineffective. They have to surface at some point. Just stay out of their way in the meantime, destroy their support facilities/ships, close off access to their ports, and locate them with superior C4I when the time comes and kill them. Diesels/AIP types need alot more support than nuke designs. And if they shoot somebody, you can quickly find where they are and give em' hell. In that regard, I'm not so impressed with the 214, 212, and other diesel/AIP designs. In modern high-tech war, I feel that they could become obsolete pretty rapidly.

Give me a nuke anyday.

Sea Demon

P.S. But I do have to say, I'm happy the Aussies are on our side. They have proven to be a high value submarine force with what they have worked with in the collins design.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: