Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Hello All, New Captain here
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeevz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Hello All, New Captain here Reply with quote

Hello All,
After reading about Dangerous Waters on SimHQ, I though some naval simulation sounded like an interesting diversion from flight simming. I found a used copy of Sub-Command at EB and I am enjoying it, I'm running without any auto crew and at full realism and I've managed to complete the Seal insertion mission, the Iran Kilo hunt and the Damage the Kuz mission so far. My knowledge of submarines and sub warfare comes bascially from Clancy books and sub movies (Suprisingly a pretty good start it seems). What guides and such are out there for sub newbies like myself?
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Be sure to check out my website. I have lots of links there to guides (TimmyGoo's is great), training missions, SCX mods, etc.
sonar732

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello All, New Captain here Reply with quote

Jeevz wrote:
Hello All,
After reading about Dangerous Waters on SimHQ, I though some naval simulation sounded like an interesting diversion from flight simming. I found a used copy of Sub-Command at EB and I am enjoying it, I'm running without any auto crew and at full realism and I've managed to complete the Seal insertion mission, the Iran Kilo hunt and the Damage the Kuz mission so far. My knowledge of submarines and sub warfare comes bascially from Clancy books and sub movies (Suprisingly a pretty good start it seems). What guides and such are out there for sub newbies like myself?

Wow! For just getting the game and not reading the guides, you are doing darn good. The Iranian Kilo mission is usually the one that everyone complains about not being able to finish.
Jeevz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the deepest spot and set up a racetrack pattern to patrol in it, lo and behold there was the kilo trying to slip out in the deep water.

I'll be sure to check out the site Bill, thanks!
Wxman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

You got all the sound mod mods or what, dude?

I have all the controversial model-skins too. But you don't need any of those. You do need the sound mods. The game is just NOT worth playing without all of the sound mods.

End of Story.

Oh, P.S., there's some hoops that have to be jumped through to get the sound-mods into the game. But you did say you were a flight-sim guy? O.k. whatever, flight-sim guy in a submarine joint...(he he he he).
Jeevz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have the sound mods, hoops are not a problem as I've follwed falcon 4's development over the past few years, and I've jumped through enough hoops to last 10 people a lifetime. Wink
Wxman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then, you're certainly qualified to mod SC if you can mod F4.

Get a hold of:

JSteed's SoundEditor
SCEdit
Sonarman_1019's sound pack
Ambient Sound pack
Boomer's Sound Pack

The contents of Boomer's Sound Pack is intrinsically compatible, but the default installation is inherently incompatible. You'll need to use SC Edit to implement Boomer's new sound files for SCX objects.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these sound mods you speak of? Have I been missing out? Please tell me that they make the sonar audio actually audible!

KB
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molon Labe wrote:
What are these sound mods you speak of? Have I been missing out?
check out www.subguru.com under the fav links and DLs section for the sound mods.

Quote:
Please tell me that they make the sonar audio actually audible!
use the V1.05 patch sonarBB.dlls for that.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM, thanks for the pointer. One problem, I'm running SC 1.08 with SXCIIc on top of it. Is there an easier way to do this besides installling SC1.05, which would probably require me to redo everything all over? Maybe i can extract the BB dll's somehow?
Wxman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Sonarman_1019's sounds --> here <--
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molon Labe wrote:
TLAM, thanks for the pointer. One problem, I'm running SC 1.08 with SXCIIc on top of it. Is there an easier way to do this besides installling SC1.05, which would probably require me to redo everything all over? Maybe i can extract the BB dll's somehow?

Just point the patch to a directory other than Sub Command like a folder on your desktop. Unzip it there and take out the .dlls and move them over after makine a back up of your current files.
Wxman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molon Labe wrote:

Never bothered to mess with the 1.05 (or 1.07) DLL for BB. It didn't appeal to me in losing the improvements inherent in 1.08 update (you gotta read the change log on that). However, after having implemented Boomers, Sonarman's and the Ambient sound packs, it doesn't seem like there's a need to implement the previous version BB DLL fix.

Unfortuantately Boomers (and Liquifuze's) sound packs require a little of the jumping through the hoops and as such don't readily lend themselves to implementation. But since I'm a decorated veteran of the Psychic Wars (Falcon4 F4Patch Installation Dance) through the years, the SC sound mods are piec of caek in comparison.

Read here about implementing Boomer's mod. The concept behind integration of Liquifuze's sound pack is basically the same. I'd suggest to implement Boomer's sounds right into SFX.agg first. Then extract Liquifuze's sounds to a hold folder and audition them (they're just WAV files), comparing to the SFX.agg sounds (extract everything from SFX.agg to a different hold folder using SoundEdit). With these two sound packs there's lots of options available at the user's discretion ie. making each of the LA class subs sound different, or assign the specific sounds you want to the specific platforms you desire. I've been a rabid advocate of Boomer's sounds since I've been on this board.

There's another sound pack out there that contains oodles of improved biologics. I never got around to pulling it, or Liquifuze's sounds (16MB filesize) down, always a "Oh, I'll do that in a little bit." That "little bit" just never managed to come around yet. Maybe I'll pull them down while watching CSI tonight.

I hope DW when it comes out is sympatico with the object skins, models, and sound files. It'd be a real shame if that not the case.
Wxman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some threads concerning Liquifuze's sound mod:

link1

link2

link3

link4

I never could understand what the problem was in that Boomers sounds don't seem to me to have that issue concerning sound volume.
OptimusX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you get the SC TACMAN that is downloadable at the top right of thw subsim.com homepage.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: