Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

BIOHAZCENTRAL - Sneak Peek DW Multi-player Preview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: BIOHAZCENTRAL - Sneak Peek DW Multi-player Preview Reply with quote

Thank you to the BiohazCentral guys for the preview... Yep

http://www.biohazcentral.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1092&Itemid=25
finiteless

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!, voice command included and .doc manuals!
Looney11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.... really nice.

Again, can't wait Smile
Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait, either...... Joking
porphy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very intressting indeed. Looks like the subsim community have two really strong products coming their way (DW and SHIII). DW seems to allow for endless variations and refining of skills in different scenarios. The true mark of a real sim Thumbs Up

Cheers Porphy
Thomasew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

One of two things:-

1. My IE has a problem and I didn't get to read ALL the text, .... as there seemed to be a whole lot missing.

or, ...

2. Although the 'Previewer', .. and I use that term loosely, ... had high praise for DW, .... I wonder what happened to the actual preview.

He didn't really talk about anything ... Confused

Sad, ... people get given opportunites, .... and nonchalantly throw them away ... Damn

:8Cool

Cheers
Tom
Smuook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness the Beer (the author), he did make this statement in the article:

"The focus of this Preview will include the P-3 and Multiplayer features modeled in build offered to us by SONALYSTS."

I too would have liked to see more... but previews are like movie trailers... they are supposed to get you interested, not give away the whole story line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thomasew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smuook

Smuook wrote:
In fairness the Beer (the author), he did make this statement in the article:

"The focus of this Preview will include the P-3 and Multiplayer features modeled in build offered to us by SONALYSTS."

I too would have liked to see more... but previews are like movie trailers... they are supposed to get you interested, not give away the whole story line.

This, in itself, is makes the Preview that much weaker ...

Trying to Preview a simulation like DW would be extremely challenging, ... given 4 Subs, 2 Aircraft & a FFG, ... all their Stations and Weaponry etc etc..

However, he chose to focus on just the P3, ... which is fine if that's the aspect he wants to concentrate on. I'd rather read a well thought out, and presented preview on just one platform, ... than a thin preview on all the platforms.

... but, what exactly did he say about the P3?

Did he talk about the Flying aspects of it.? ... nope
Did he talk about any of the stations on board? ... nope
Did he talk about Weapon Loadouts etc., ? ... nope

He dropped a VLAD and a DICASS .. ??? Now, to the man in the street, perhaps interested in DW, .... What the heck is a VLAD ... and a DICASS??? ... what the heck is that?? Confused

"The weapon is delivered" ... What weapon?.... a Depth Charge?, a Torpedo? Confused

Do ya see what I mean? ... this 'preview' seems more like a 'summary' of an After Action Report (with screenshots) that he sent to a friend, ... who has knowledge of the sim, ... and knows what a VLAD and a DICASS is.

What aspects of Multiplayer did he discuss ... ? Confused

Could have been much much better ... Yep , ... given, as you say, he only concentrated on one platform.

Cheers
Tom
Smuook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not disagreeing with you Thomasew. It may not be complete but it is another positive review that will help get the word out... which is important for a game that you won't find in stores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MrMudd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasew,

I think you are a little too Critical on your assessment. Being that you are a purist i can understand your enthusiasm for the game. Bare in Mind that "Beer" has never played Subcommand and is not familiar with the Product as we are.

Beer does provide a unique persepctive in ASW as he has lived the tale. From what i recall speaking with him, he had a great number of questions and actually is asking the developer to inhance the TACCO specific tools and strategies. This is the hardest part for him as a reviewer. He is attempting to employ real world tactics and methodologies the game doesnt even model.

It will take him time to learn the "Sonalysts" product designed as a Open source and non classified game for public consumption.

I think you will find that He will become a serious asset to you in the days ahead.

One thing i have learned as a Consultant for Real World and Gameing flight simulations. Is that no matter how much subject data you provide to a developer. They can only implement so much before deadlines end production.

This preview isnt over and he will be diving deeper into the abyss with the product.

If you feel that you have something to offer or would like to participate more in this review. You can contact him. He is always open to biohazcentral viewer needs.

Salute!

MrMudd

Last edited by MrMudd on Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom....

Whats a VLAD and DICASS ??? - and i aint joking.

Guessing they are some sore of buoy.

I'm going with the possibilty that the previewer just forgot to put the links to the rest of the review on the bottom of page 1 :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramius wrote:
Whats a VLAD and DICASS ??? - and i aint joking.

Guessing they are some sore of buoy.

Yes they are,
DICASS Directional Command Activated Sonobuoy System: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/an-ssq-62.htm

VLAD Vertical Line Array Directional frequency analysis and recording : http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/an-ssq-77.htm

The short verson is a DICASS is an Active Buoy while the VLAD is a Passave Buoy that is/has a NB function.
sonar732

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important aspect is this...we are being critical to a former military member that was having flashbacks to his enlistment time. We as the subsim community who are very well voiced in the simulation genre need to chill out a little bit. As mulitiple people have posted, this will only wet their appetite for the game. I posted in the Battlefront.com because I thought it would site interest in the game for the general population.
MadJeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to drop in and reply to some of the comments here in the thread. My name is MadJeff, I'm the Site owner and head admin over at BiohazCentral.

First off, I appreciate the comments, both good and bad, that have been presented here. I take full responsibility for the preview's brevity. I failed to make my expectations clear to Beer, so I think we were on different pages, so to speak. As you can see from our other previews onsite, we are usually much more in-depth in our articles, and this one kind of slipped through the reviewing system before I realized what had happened.

That being said, remember that this is a preview of a beta build, and not a full-blown review. they are very different beasts, and you can't expect the same level of content and detail from a preview article. Beer will be fleshing this out quite a bit more for the review, with further insight into the different stations, the mission editor and much more. We are also gathering input from several of the other Biohaz staff, all of which served in the Navy (One on subs, one on destroyers IIRC). That experience, along with Beer's background as a TACCO, should prove to make for an excellent Review article.

So, please be patient, and check back with us over the next few days and weeks as we expand on this preview in the near future with our full in-depth review.
John Channing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that MJ (if I may call you MJ), and there is certainly no need to apologize.

We just seem to have a case of the "Gottahaveitnows" going on, and while every little morsel of information is appreciated and devoured eagerly, its pretty natural that some people just hate to leave the table hungry. <end of food analogy>

Me... I love the anticipation almost as much as the acquisition.

Lastly it was a great preview from someone who has obviously a lot of credibility. If members of the "been there done that" brigade are talking about how much fun it was that just makes me all the more anxious to know more.

Thanks and well done

JCC
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: