Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Question on sub capabilities in DW

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bishop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Question on sub capabilities in DW Reply with quote

I haven't played SC for a while, but I am excited about DW. I like some of the new features, the quick mission generator for example. I still play RSR on occasion just for those random encounters when I just want a quick game, the QM feature looks like it will fill the bill nicely.

I do have a question that maybe Jamie (when he has a moment) or someone else here can comment on. I'd have to search the forum messages to find it but I do remember a comment made a while back concerning the play balance (mostly for multiplayer) of SC. For example, all that has been written about the Seawolf suggests it to be superior to the 688I and Akula, and far quieter. But in SC, Sonalysts may have toned down the Seawolf in order to keep a player from having an unfair advantage in a MP game. After playing SC since the day it was released, and even with the excellent SCX mod, I always did get the impression of some sense of 'sameness' in the abilities of the 3 subs. A Seawolf for the most part wasn't much harder to detect than a 688i or Akula, despite the reported advances in design to make it much quieter. And the WAA offered only a minor advantage over the other platforms, is this accurate?

So my question is, will this 'balancing' of abilities be modeled in DW as well, or will the subs be closer to their actual or at least published capabilities. Speaking for myself, I don't play much multiplayer so play balancing isn't a concern for me, but I would like to be able to really notice the difference in the different platforms and have to adjust my tactics as such. There are times I would like to have the advantages of commanding a Seawolf, knowing I'll have superior sonar and be very hard to locate. You know, the baddest MF on the block kind of thing.

Anyway, just a couple questions from a longtime fan of these games. Again, looking forward to DW, looks like it's going to be a blast to play. Thanks for continuing to make them.
Scion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, the Seawolf is NOT the quietest sub in the world. It is nuclear, making it automatically out of contention. Its a race out of the diesels, the Seawolf doesnt make it to the starting line.

Also, the Seawolf has significant advantage over the other subs. Compare these pictures of narrowband. All these subs are stopped, at the same depth, and approximate range. The Seawolf is the clear winner...

The 2nd Frequency line in the Seawolf is undetectable here, whereas the 688 and Akulas lines are clearly visible. I cant pick it between the Akula and 688, but the Seawolf is definatly the quieter.

Seawolf -

688(i) -

Akuka -

bishop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scion wrote:
First off, the Seawolf is NOT the quietest sub in the world. It is nuclear, making it automatically out of contention. Its a race out of the diesels, the Seawolf doesnt make it to the starting line.

Also, the Seawolf has significant advantage over the other subs. Compare these pictures of narrowband. All these subs are stopped, at the same depth, and approximate range. The Seawolf is the clear winner...

The 2nd Frequency line in the Seawolf is undetectable here, whereas the 688 and Akulas lines are clearly visible. I cant pick it between the Akula and 688, but the Seawolf is definatly the quieter.

Yes, I went back and changed what I originally wrote, I meant to compare the subs in the original game, not the real world or to diesel boats.

Most of my experience was with stock 1.08 of SC, and the gamma setting on my monitor was pretty high, so even a extremely faint 50hz line would show up pretty clearly. I just remember not really having a whole lot of trouble locating it. That was around the time I read the play balance comment. When I get a chance, I'll reload it again and mess around some, it's been a while, my memory could be failing me as a result of old age creeping in.

My reason for asking in the first place was because I remembering reading a statement to that effect, for game balance. Just trying to get a clarification if that was the case.

For the record, my favorite boat in the game was the 688i.
OptimusX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the differences in the platform capabilities are readily apparrent in multiplayer. The AI will never be able to outplay a human opponnent in a game this complex.

In single player, you are usually the most superior unit in the game...since the AI can only follow preprogrammed routines. In that sense, the differences in the platforms don't really show themselves very well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: