Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

What will be included in the box?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TacFire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: What will be included in the box? Reply with quote

Can you tell us whats going to be in the box.What kind of manual,one that we can read without glasses?Will there be any maps?Any info would be nice.
Scion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a post by Moon (Admin at Battlefront), the manual will be a 500 page, printed beauty. This is one of the upshots gained by Sonalysts/Battlefront by publishing with the method they have chosen.

With regard to maps, I am downright certain that none will be included for two reasons:

• The entire world is modeled, as in SC, the missions both stock and custom can take place within a 600 x 600 nmi Square anywhere in the world.

• The Map on the NAV screen is very detailed, with contours, depth/height, Lat/Long, countries, and the US States included. While you cant perform some of the manual calculations on it like you can with a ruler, protractor, compass and pencil on real paper, everything else can be done.
Ritual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gift Certificate for free 2.4 billion US Navy sub if you can find a dock to store it at, or your choice of a perry class frigate.

Helicopters and Orion gift certificates may be available for the expansion pack, pending ATF approval
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus you can always download decent maps from the internet and print them off.
Pigfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic but would be nice come DW we could make missions with the North Pole at the center of the map.

In SC you just cant get to the North Pole. Sad No big deal and I suspect would be a lot of work to implement a true 360 degree map in mission editor.

Also I hope DW has better, more realistic depths.
Especially along coasts, straits, etc.

You guys know what I mean... Smile
TacFire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: What will be included in the box? Reply with quote

I'm very excited to hear about a 500 page manual...Scion,thank you for your post.I'm a happy guy.
Pole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigfish wrote:
A bit off topic but would be nice come DW we could make missions with the North Pole at the center of the map.

In SC you just cant get to the North Pole. Sad

I'd like to get to the North Pole

Not-so-much-northern - Pole Joking
Scion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigfish wrote:
Then you would face all the problems real subs have there. If you are at the north pole, every way is south, so where does the needle point? If the helmsman is ordered to hold course 000 to intercept the north pole - what happens there?
Henric Edwards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 500-page manual should be enough to make any grown man weap with joy. I know it's been said before, and that it seems rather pointless to say it again, but I just can't wait for DW. Very Happy
Overkill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean they still put manuals over 50 pages in games these days!! Surprised I thought that went out when console game systems got hot. Maybe the good 'ol time sims are make'n a come back! Now if we can just get Sid Meier to bring back more of the other classic MicroProse sims! :hmm:
Stewy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now if we can just get Sid Meier to bring back more of the other classic MicroProse sims!

F-19 Stealth Fighter, M1 Tank Platoon and Sword of the Samurai were years ahead of their time...

Shame you can't get those games any more... Crying or Very sad
TheSatyr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually,there won't be a box. Battlefront.com considers it to be cheaper for them and for you to just slip the disc(s) in the front of the manual,seal it in a clear plastic wrapper and ship it off.

That's what allows them to spend the money on decent manuals. They don't have to spend much on packaging.
MSgalileo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

source ?
MaHuJa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scion wrote:
Pigfish wrote:
Then you would face all the problems real subs have there. If you are at the north pole, every way is south, so where does the needle point? If the helmsman is ordered to hold course 000 to intercept the north pole - what happens there?

They could stop following the magnetic needle and instead follow an INS. I believe the INS would be able to keep "0" being in the same direction until you were past the ice pack. And I'd be surprised if the US does not have that sort of thing aboard their subs.
Nexus7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSatyr wrote:
Actually,there won't be a box. Battlefront.com considers it to be cheaper for them and for you to just slip the disc(s) in the front of the manual,seal it in a clear plastic wrapper and ship it off.

That's what allows them to spend the money on decent manuals. They don't have to spend much on packaging.

That would not just be cheeper for them, but also ecologically clever Yep Thumbs Up
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: