Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

? for Jamie/Hutch on Multiplay

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: ? for Jamie/Hutch on Multiplay Reply with quote

Knowing all to well that soon after release, all of the modders/tweakers will be attempting to twist the tail on this Jewel...trying to make adjustments to this sensor.. or that weapon or some platform's top speed or..."fill in the blank"

...because well...thats just what they like to do Very Happy

But during multiplay matches, its important that each player has the same specifications.

Will there be some way to assure that all connected players are playing off the same sheet of music??
Scion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ts the same as in SC, all players use the same DB. Im not sure how exactly it works, but I think they all run off the host computer DB.
Thomasew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Multi-player in SC actually uses both the DB on the Host, ... as well as the Client's own DB.

The assumption is/was ... that the DBs should be the same.

I did make a posting, ... some time ago, about what is used from where, .... over on the Sub Command forum.

Although you will get a caution if the DB differs between the Host and the Client, ... it still allows you to connect.

It's an aspect of the MP functionality that needs to be tightened up somewhat.

Cheers
Tom
Ramius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasew wrote:
....Although you will get a caution if the DB differs between the Host and the Client, ... it still allows you to connect.

It's an aspect of the MP functionality that needs to be tightened up somewhat.....

You can manage to connect without any cautions Wink
But i can't remember what conbination of various installs i had to use to not get the warnings Confused

But as you say Tom, something definately needs to be tightened up.

Personally, i can't see how using only the "hosts" database would help. As if you know you are going to be playing against a certain unit all you would need to do is lower the effectiveness of its sensors/weapons and increase your own - and in theory they would be none the wiser until they died and watched a replay (if they managed to tell from that :hmm: )

Ramius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
donw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly...thank you very much Ramius!

As a long standing member of the online multiplayer Seawolves Fleet...we view this as a VERY important issue...as we're all looking very much forward to incorporating this game into our gameplay

Gentlemen's agreement that all is equel...only goes so far Wink
Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasew wrote:
Hi

Multi-player in SC actually uses both the DB on the Host, ... as well as the Client's own DB.

I did make a posting, ... some time ago, about what is used from where, .... over on the Sub Command forum.

Although you will get a caution if the DB differs between the Host and the Client, ... it still allows you to connect.

Cheers
Tom

Hey Tom,

Pretty sure (99%) that this has been fixed...

You now need to have the same DBs, it alerts you when your interface DLLs differ from the hosts (although it will let you play, it just tells everyone else in the game as well) and if you don't have the mission that the host is serving it will download it automatically from him...
donw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me!
Thanks Jamie!! Thumbs Up
Thomasew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamie

Sounds Good Smile

I know that these issues are of primary concern to the Online guys. I hope they will be happy with what you guys have done.

It's sad really, ... given the mature nature of Sonalysts' simulations, .. that people still feed the need to cheat. Sad

Cheers
Tom
sonar732

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie wrote:
Thomasew wrote:
Hi

Cheers
Tom

Hey Tom,

Pretty sure (99%) that this has been fixed...

You now need to have the same DBs, it alerts you when your interface DLLs differ from the hosts (although it will let you play, it just tells everyone else in the game as well) and if you don't have the mission that the host is serving it will download it automatically from him...

That is SWEET!!! Too bad you couldn't insert a message stating..."caught you trying to use another mod."
Fish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am am wondering, usig password protection for a map, is that the same as in Sub Command.
Quote:
It's sad really, ... given the mature nature of Sonalysts' simulations, .. that people still feel the need to cheat.

Reading that line I thought it would be nice if you could protect maps from looking into in single player with Show Truth.
I have enough perception to know some people always will try to look into a map before the match start.
Normal maps are so random, that it is not of a great concern, but war-maps have fixed start positions due to the tasks or goals.
One of the problems with multiplayer wars.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: