Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

enigma and multiplayer - is it financially viable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> ENIGMA: Rising Tide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mendipbus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: enigma and multiplayer - is it financially viable? Reply with quote

Hello

Something got me thinking about enigma and the upcoming multiplayer aspect and I am quite worried.

Is it financially viable to have a mmog model in place?, as I would have thought this would be a niche product and not a large customer base type of game.

I am not sure how large the company producing this game is and how much enigma multiplayer is going to cost, but look at the fate of warhammer online and also codemasters dragon empires, 2 huge compantys who could not see a financial future with the mmog model for those 2 games.

Ok there are niche mmog sims about (warbirds, aces high 2 and also figher ace), and these seem to be going strong and have a small to medium player base, so it does look as though the mmog model could work.

I am just worried that the multiplayer aspect maybe dropped and we will not be able to play any multiplayer at all.

if this is the case would it not be in the best interest to setup a simple multiplayer model (via a patch) like a direct connect system as in silent hunter 2 and destroyer command?

Maybe I am worrying too much and sorry for the long rambling post

thanks
Cpt-Maxim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible you hadnt noticed the number of people that have registered their CD's on the warfleet.net website? Even though it is multiple thousands of people (sounds impressive doesnt it?) you may worry that other companies that actually had more people were not surviving - and you'd be right.

However, when a company that hasn't even released it's multiplayer game yet, and already has multiple thousands of registered users, makes you wonder how many more are just waiting for the release. TAG actually knows how many units were shipped to stores, and probably has a good idea of how many of those copies left stores in customers hands, but no need to get into those details..

The important point here is the game has selling points that no other game has, creating the kind of excitement that can break records, and some other points that equal other games on the market - voice command -the best ocean 3D hydrodynamic modeling for multiplayer - talented 3D modeling design team - realistic graphics - command simulation - sub/surface/air naval warfare - 3 factions and multiple types of character career paths - and quite a few future storyline enhancements in the works..

The playerbase is just as dedicated and hardcore as any other game style if not more, which means they will "keep" their subscriptions active, rather than jumping from one rpg to the next, but remember this type of playerbase has been denied for years a really satisfying game of this type, since naval games have been on the market for years without producing a playable multiplayer environment like this..

I would suggest that the players that play this game would now possibly be more dangerous than a pitbull with aids, if you even try to suggest this game not make it after it has finally come this close..

With all the bunny-hoppin/sci-fi/magic/dragon/alien/slaying games on the market, isnt it time for something different? It's a different world.

Last edited by Cpt-Maxim on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
mendipbus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: I understand Reply with quote

Hello

Yes I agree, was just worried as the simulation market has fallen from the publics eye quite a bit over the last few years.

Cannot wait for enigma mp to come out and also cannot wait for DW

Thanks
niteshade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not shure how much eney one els has payed for there copy of this game but i for 1 would more than likly not pay for mp i have payed allmost $60 at the store for my copy y do i need to pay more now this is the Q that i can see most peaple will be asking them selfs that and money is verey tight right now this would be a bad time to relees a pay as you go mp game couse the ones that can aford it right now are not going to be abondent for long
and with the price of oil going up as well as house hold utilitys no one wonts to letgo of eney more money than they have to
Jesper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i for 1 would more than likly not pay for mp i have payed allmost $60 at the store for my copy y do i need to pay more now this is the Q that i can see most peaple will be asking them selfs that and money is verey tight right now this would be a bad time to relees a pay as you go mp game couse the ones that can aford it right now are not going to be abondent for long

Different products mate.
You paid $60 for a PC game. (A Single Player Game)
The Multiplayer game wont need the Single Player Game. That client will be a free download.
It's kinda like you want a car and you want to drive it, but you wont pay for fuel cause you allready bought the car so fuel should be free of charge.
Get real skipper life dont work that way. Smile
EAST

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice analogy Jesper.
hunter301

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesper wrote:
Quote:
Different products mate.
You paid $60 for a PC game. (A Single Player Game)
The Multiplayer game wont need the Single Player Game. That client will be a free download.
It's kinda like you want a car and you want to drive it, but you wont pay for fuel cause you allready bought the car so fuel should be free of charge.
Get real skipper life dont work that way.

I totally disagree with this Jesper.
That analogy is so far from what PC games are supposed to be. 95% of all PC games come with a free multiplayer already in the game.
From the very beggining in the forums we where told that ER:RT was going to have a MP version to go along with the game we purchased shortly after the release of the single player and that it would be downloadable. How many years was that? If I knew that I was going to have buy a whole seperate game to play online I would have never bought the single player and waited. I can't think of one PC game out that you have to purchase MP seperately after the fact. While I can sympathize with them for the legal problems they have had from the internal problems it shouldn't cost us more to keep playing the same game after all this time. If anything it should be tied into the CD key for the single player version and given for free to all the people that trusted what they where being told in the beggining.
EAST

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many PC games come with Free Internet Multiplayer. City of Heroes, PlanetSide, et al. are sold in stores and require a subscription fee. Enigma was designed from the beginning to be that kind of product.

Single player was done at the request of a publisher and to help fund us getting the multiplayer done. Many things have happened that have caused us not to get the MMOG version done. It however changes nothing. When it launches (and we showed off an alpha of the MMOG at ENIGMACON last year) you won't have to purchase a new game - the MMOG patch for the singleplayer game will be available as a free download.

That only leaves the delay. Sorry. We are doing all we can about that.
hunter301

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I to understand the when the "free" patch comes out for multiplayer that it will not cost anything? Than what are people talking about having to pay more money for?
BTW...what is MMOG??
Seeadler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter301 wrote:
Than what are people talking about having to pay more money for? BTW...what is MMOG??

They mean the extra fees per month which are normally usual for MMOGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Games) . As far as I know, the registered owners of the singleplayer version have only the first month of gaming free of charge, in a way as a month to test the gameplay.
Justin Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, you download the multiplayer game, and then pay proabably 10-20 bucks a month to play it. (I say 10-20 as most MMOG fall in that range). So, it can cost 120-240 dollars a year to play this game.

Many games are worth that, and I am sure Enigma will be. However, if you are a college student/low rung game designer (like me) then it is just not financially viable. While I will check out and pobably love the free 30 days I should hopefully still get from buying Enigma last year, I doubt Ill continue to play it past one or two months.

And that is not meant as anything bad towards Enigma. I have played several MMOG I wanted to keep playing, but when its hard enough for a lump 40-50 dollar one time fee for most games, continually paying for a new game isn't possible for me.

Still, I am sure that when it is done, it will be great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jesper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard was $12.95/mo for Enigma MP
Justin Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12.95... that works out to $129.50 a year. $12.95 will be easier to swallow, but still it doesn't help if you are poor (or cheap) Rotfl

Still, ya never know, one might get addicted to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EAST

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are also considering a ticketing program - a competitor is doing it and it sounds like a good plan: buy a book of 10, 20 or 30 tickets. Each ticket is good for 24 consecutive hours. This means that you only pay for the time that you actually play....only play a couple days a week, buy 30 tickets and you're playing for 15 weeks (almost 4 months). I expect that this option will be very popular if we add this to the standard subscription.
Justin Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound like it would be better on the ol' debit card.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> ENIGMA: Rising Tide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: