Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

GREAT NEWS! Battlefront Deal... (Sonalysts reply & BETA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesT73J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasew wrote:
Hi Tramker

Quote:
I don't know how in SA, but here in the Czech Republic I paid exactly the price shown on the Batteferont site, no tax or anything added. It was about the same as games in shops costs.

I hear ya .... however, your Government is probably not as corrupt as ours.

I mean ... how else is Thabo Mbeki supposed to pay for his personal Boeing. ???

Believe me, ... I've imported enough goodies to know that we are being ripped off. Sucks, ... but that's the 'new' SA. BTW, short of using a Courier, ... you can't insure post to SA, ... so, you gotta take the risk that it won't be 'pinched' by the GPO/Customs staff.

Cheers
Tom

I can sadly verify that's a very real risk. As my fairer half is South African, she sends presents and what not home. A phenominal amount of stuff just gets nicked or tampered with. Shame.

Hope you luck out in this case Tom. I would be very surprised if CDV didn't run the title; they've got just about everything else battlefront does!

Cheers

James
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks.. guess I'll have to get meself a credit card then, eh.. Idea
TexasAggie99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie,

I dont know what the requirements are for picking Beta testers, but sign me up if you can. I qualified TAO on USS DE WERT (FFG 45) and would love to test out the systems you have simulated in the program.

Aggie
jsteed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Quote:
Let's say that you guys Retail 'DW' for $50. Add $10 (from BF's site) for shipping to South Africa. Based on my most recent experience (not with BF) .... the day it leaves BF's door, ... I would have paid $87. If our Customs guys give it a 'sniff' and decide I need to pay Import Duties .... you can add another about another $28 to that. So, total price for me would be about $115, .... or, with the Exchange Rate ... about R 755.00 (ZAR).

Surely some country north of the equator would be willing to take you in. Idea

cheers, jsteed
Egan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlefront? Really? Wow! A marriage made in heaven!

Aside from my dislike about having to buy games online (Like a lot of others it seems - and the main reason I was grateful for their deal with CDV in Europe.) Its a good set up. I'm impressed!

Does this meen there will be a DW forum on the BFC site now? The'yre a strange crew over there and they scare me....... A word of advice to anyone that hasn't been over there before; avoid anything with the words "Peng", "Maggots" or "TNT" in the title......at least until your ready. Very Happy
Thomasew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Quote:
Surely some country north of the equator would be willing to take you in.

:hmm: ... well I'm not sure they would be 'willing' as such ... not that that in itself would deter me. Cool

However, ... living in SA, .. I guess that one must take the cons with the pros ...

... and the pros here are much nicer .. Wink Wink

Hey Egan

Quote:
The'yre a strange crew over there and they scare me.......

Yup! .... they scare me a little too ... Surprised Been visiting that forum for a couple of years or so now, ... but, I only visit once i've had a couple of pints ... soothes me nerves. Smug

Cheers
Tom
Egan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, Yeah, it's best to visit with a little liquid fortification inside. The Poltics forum over there makes our General Topics look like a playgroup.

I also believe that in the dictionary under "Grognard" it says " visit Battlefront.com". They know there stuff, thats for sure.

Great series of games though - with a hardcore following to match.

I wonder if we could talk BFC into buying up the CAOD licsence from whoever has it now....
Skybird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie wrote:
... big hefty manual ...

That's my mantra from now on Smile
Skybird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double posting

Last edited by Skybird on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skybird

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomasew

isn't there a budyy of yours living outside SA who could send it to you? I also think there are some trustworthy guys here in this forum that are willing to help you in this style, and the money transfer then shouldn't make any personal noise. And if then you still don't find anyone, tell me, then I'll "take the risk" and buy it and send it to you. Because you are around this place long enough for not beeing considered a "risk" anymore Smile
Zerogreat

Location: Czech Republic, Prague, coordinates are sumthin like 50,10 North 14,25 East, not much accurate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tramker wrote:
Thomasew wrote:
Hi Jamie
I hear what you're saying ... Smile However, it's the Exchange Rate, Bank Charges, Import Duties etc., ... that push it over the top. Sad

I don't know how in SA, but here in the Czech Republic I paid exactly the price shown on the Batteferont site, no tax or anything added. It was about the same as games in shops costs.

----
Martin

Nazdar kamo ty jsi taky z CR? Ping Jak jsi za to co jsi od nich kupoval platil? Ja totiz nemam kreditku takze musim posilat seky, jednou se mi stalo ze ten blbej sek cestoval dva mesice! Nejsi z Prahy? Jestli jsi z Prahy a mas kreditku, mohli bysme se nejak dohodnout ze by sis koupil DW 2x a pak bysme se sesli a ja ti dal prachy a ty mne DW (samozrejme original zavarenou krabici Wink )? Dej mi kdyztak prosimte vedet.
hachiman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game will not be sold in stores, but will only be available via mail order from www.battlefront.com.

This can only hurt sales.
Not everyone has access to the web to order online and neither has everyone got access to a Credit Card. Rolling Eyes
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hachiman you can order via Check or Money order.

But I hope word of mouth will help this game sell.
Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hachiman wrote:
The game will not be sold in stores, but will only be available via mail order from www.battlefront.com.

This can only hurt sales.
Not everyone has access to the web to order online and neither has everyone got access to a Credit Card. Rolling Eyes

Well, their business model is pretty unique and I think it could work for DW. In essence, they sell directly from their website first and it gives them a good sense of where the interest is for the game (what countries in Europe, especially). Then after some period of time the game *WILL* go into retail and be more widely available to those who were reluctant to buy on-line. However, they really do their very best to make it easy to purchase and ship the game, so I'd hope that people wouldn't too concerned about it (with the exception of Tom's circumstances which are decidedly unique, we hope Sad )...

Retail will come, just not immediately...

Has its pro's and con's, sure... But in this marketplace we have to take some radical measures sometime, and this one seems like it could certainly work for both parties involved (and Battlefront would argue that it is not radical at all, they've been doing it for 3 CM games already and doing just fine! Wink).
Leaky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tramker wrote:
Thomasew wrote:
Hi
Like others have mentioned in this thread, ... I have a natural reluctance to make 'Mail Order' purchases from U.S. based companies, .. for a couple of reasons. Besides having my fingers burned a couple of times, ... those products that have safely arrived, .. have cost me between 2 and 3 times the normal price. Surprised
Tom

I've bought from them all CM games, it wouldn't cost you more then buying game in a store and if your order get lost or something, they will send you another copy.

I can vouch for this too.
Although I'm in the US, I've bought a number of games from Battlefront.

On my first purchase I had recently moved. I gave them the wrong adress. Embarassed Joking (<--not the sharpest tool in the shed) :know:
3 emails and 6 days later I had the game I ordered though it soon became apparent that it was entirely my own fault. They didnt balk. They didn't protest. They simply confirmed the details of my order and sent along another one.
I wonder who got the first one. :hmm:

I am also aware of their German distributor.

In a nutshell, I simply can't say enough good things about Battlefront, or what I know of Sonalysis for that matter.
To me it seems like a great marriage.

I, for one and speaking as a nobody, am looking foward to seeing some of you visit us over at the BF forums if only to say hello.

-Leaky
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: