Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Headsets in DW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Headsets in DW Reply with quote

Did a quick search, but nobody's gone over this that I can find, unless I did and forgot Smile

What's the possibility of allowing, when at the sonar station, to have all the sonar noises pumped out the rear channel and the 'normal' game sounds out the front channel?

This would allow those of us doing multi-computer setups with single platforms to plug a real set of headphones into the rear channel of our four channel cards to really add to the immersion Smile

Has these been done? If not, what are the chances?

It'd be an awesome feature.
OptimusX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap, so that is what that output slot is for!

I never thought of that, and honestly that is a great idea!
Rohan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, I'm pretty sure it's got a slightly different use if you talk to Creative Labs, but I find it useful for things like that Smile

Having a game that actually supported it for the sonar station would be freakin' rad. So many people have four-channel sound and don't use it, too.
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound cards are not by best subject but are you talking about having regular speekers pluged in to the back of the computer while headphones are pluged in to the jack on the CD drive?

This is a fan-friken-tastic idea, I'm always turning down the music and crew voice and turning up the speakers to full blast when hunting for elusive targets.
Oberon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:

I'm always turning down the music and crew voice and turning up the speakers to full blast when hunting for elusive targets.

Me too, except I'm using 'phones at the time. The local FFGs seem to have an uncanny knack of knowing when I've just turned the sound up because no sooner than I have placed my counter on the contact:
PIIIIIIING!!
*rolls around on the floor clutching at his ears*
Rohan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, TLAM, many (most?) modern sound cards, even many of the cheap ones that come on motherboards have four-channel sounds.

Two jacks - front and rear. All Soundblaster Live & Audigy cards have them, as do the nVidia onboard sound things, et cetera.

Most people don't use the rear channel - they don't have a surround sound setup on their PC.

It seems like a cool idea to me to be able to set all game sounds except the actual headset noises on the 'front' channel, which you have your speakers plugged into, and then have your headphones plugged into the 'rear' channel and listen to the sonar set on that.
Rohan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

Anyone feel like giving me a response to this now? Please? Smile
lokust

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if it will be in... go maaaan that would be great

Im sure it can be added as a mod, althought it will be quite tricky :hmm:
Hutch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Headsets in DW Reply with quote

Rohan wrote:
What's the possibility of allowing, when at the sonar station, to have all the sonar noises pumped out the rear channel and the 'normal' game sounds out the front channel?

Well that's a new one! Idea Sorry to say that's too big a change to pull off at this late stage, but we'll add that to our list of interesting ideas for future patches, etc.

Hutch
Looney11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W000T

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Rohan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Headsets in DW Reply with quote

Hutch wrote:

Well that's a new one! Idea Sorry to say that's too big a change to pull off at this late stage, but we'll add that to our list of interesting ideas for future patches, etc.

Hutch

Awwww. *stares morosely at his headphones*

Definitely worth adding, when you guys get the time!

(I've got my room laid out like a submarine conn at present, PCs in the right location for the core stations, and if that headphone option becomes possible, I'll go set up the drapes fo the sonar erea.)
Lt. Staumeier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rohan wrote:
(I've got my room laid out like a submarine conn at present, PCs in the right location for the core stations, and if that headphone option becomes possible, I'll go set up the drapes fo the sonar erea.)

You know...there are words for guys like you... Laughing

Hehe, just kidding Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bubblehead555

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Headsets in DW Reply with quote

Rohan wrote:

Do you have a mattress under your coffee table, so you have a 'good' place to rack out ... take apart your dishwasher (even though it works perfectly well) every other month .... well we know all those nice 'sub things' Smile
sonar732

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Headsets in DW Reply with quote

Rohan wrote:

Don't forget to run out of fresh milk after 2 weeks, then place a skull and bones drawing on your refrigerator. Rotfl

You MUST live on an 18 hour day of 6 hours of duty, 12 hours of random drills while trying to sleep, study the boat, etc...
Zerogreat

Location: Czech Republic, Prague, coordinates are sumthin like 50,10 North 14,25 East, not much accurate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOh i think that would be really cool to place sonar sounds in different channel than the other sounds Smile Finally i would have use for that little Rear-Front balance thingy on my speaker control :hmm:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: