Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Gamespy's SHIII impressions: Bad news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
america person

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep really powerful wisdom at that Razz :nope: :nope: thievery bad Yep legit buying of games good Yep Yep Idea

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: My Bad Reply with quote

You are the fools for buying into a game that will suck. You think a Dev team is going to learn when people are buying there games?? Wake up people. Damm
EAST

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumbass. That's like saying it's ok to carjack someones Hyundai because it's a crappy car. You are the kind of chimp that would try and justify having sex (again) with a goat because you prefer sheep.

Stop being a moron and if you play it - pay for it.
Thunderhorse

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a troll trying to stir something up. Troll, be gone!

-Thunderhorse-
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!

What kind of man boasts about stealing?
les green01

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:
Amen!

What kind of man boasts about stealing?

not much of one
RobertH

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it has to go thru the act of sinking so much tonnage to move on to the next mission I will wait until it hits the bargain rack at walmart. It didn't take long for SH2 to get there and from the sounds of it this one won't be out too long before it's there too.

I admit it sounds like it does have some cool features but imagine the crews, not to mention my own moral if I have to keep repeating the same mission over and over.

Besides if eye candy and "cool features" were all that made a game a classic AOD nor SH1 would still be on my computers...

I think the term "simulation" is getting to a point where it's too losely used by game companies. Also if "simulator" style games are too narrow on their audiences then why is AOD, Falcon 4.0 etc. still considered some of the best in their genre's, especially considering their age/

I guess it is nice to know that the SH3 dev team did listen to us and other hard core sub simmer's and...... erm..... uh..... never mind that after all I seem to recall a dynamic campaign being first on the list.....

I guess that would explain their lack of "details" or post's to this board.

RobertH (yes, dissappointed.... again... now where did my CAOD cd go?)
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertH wrote:
Well if it has to go thru the act of sinking so much tonnage to move on to the next mission I will wait until it hits the bargain rack at walmart. It didn't take long for SH2 to get there and from the sounds of it this one won't be out too long before it's there too.

Actually, SH2 was a prime title for nearly a year, a long time.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal I have been extremely busy and visits to the board have been sporadic. I have been doing a little catch up. Thanks for the E3 visit and info. I am impressed with SH3. For me personally, 1 feature that isn't exactly how I might have chosen in a perfect world is not an issue in light of the overall presentation of a title. Thanks for the time, effort and money placed into the E3 visit along with the screens and info you brought back for all of us slavering fans.
Nightowl

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Sh III looks great to me.. Reply with quote

I don't believe a word of these guys saying they won't buy it til it's out on the bargain bin, most of it is just talk, they'll probably be the 1st ones in line to get their hands on it as soon as it is out, who are they kidding? And from what I see so far, it will be on the top selling list for a long time. No game is going to please everyone, no matter how the game is put together, so I am thankful to get a great new sub-sim that looks like a great game. -Nightowl
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought SHII the day it was released, and was bitterly disappointed. I thought it would be SHI with U-boats, maybe just a little better. After several months of it barely running at all I discovered the SubSim community while looking for a possible fix.

I've heard the stories about similar threads to these being posted prior to the release of SHII. I wouldn't know, I wasn't there. What I do know is this: the "Career Mode" is what keeps me playing the older sims, and that "one little thing" is the only thing I want fixed. If SHIII doesn't have it I won't steal it; I won't play it at all. You see, I can't justify spending close to a thousand dollars for a "game" that doesn't give me what I want, and that is what it will take for me to buy a new computer that will run the thing.
DedEye

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard the stories about similar threads to these being posted prior to the release of SHII. I wouldn't know, I wasn't there.

I was here and read them and there are similar posts. However at release, SHII was a failure on so many levels and not just the campaign/career mode. AI, physics, weather, atmosphere, sensors, you name it.

I don't believe SH3 will be similar. If it has the physics, AI, and atmosphere, if I can go where I will in the patrol zone and have random encounters (ala SH1), then I can live without a dynamic campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I want a truly dynamic N. Atlantic as much as any of you, but I won't let that desire get in the way of experiencing an excellent subsim, if SH3 indeed turns out to be one.

Time will tell I guess Smile
RobertH

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sh III looks great to me.. Reply with quote

Nightowl wrote:
I don't believe a word of these guys saying they won't buy it til it's out on the bargain bin, most of it is just talk, they'll probably be the 1st ones in line to get their hands on it as soon as it is out, who are they kidding? And from what I see so far, it will be on the top selling list for a long time. No game is going to please everyone, no matter how the game is put together, so I am thankful to get a great new sub-sim that looks like a great game. -Nightowl

Then you wouldn't want to bet me on that one as there are several titles I have bought just that way, DC being one of them.

I paid full price for MOA the day it hit the shelves amounst many others but if again you have to sink a certain amount of tonnage to move on then I will indeed wait.

BTW SH2 hit Buds stores in as little as 6 months (actually more like 4 ) for the lump sum of 19.95 and our local Walmart had about 4 copies of DC and they never hit the bargain bin due to the fact our Walmart never ordered any more copies of it and I was told the couple remaining copies were returned.

RobertH

P.S. You are correct no game is going to please everyone but when designers come to a community and ask for a wish list and a Dynamic Campaign being the first on the list and then ignoring that request then I do infact beleive many of those that say they will wait until it hits the bargain bin.
america person

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im inclined to agree with those whop are going to wait for actaull impression stec. etc, since im gonna be one of them
Steeltrap

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I am waiting for is to see the comments from real users - and NOT reviewers - that will crop up in here.

The most positive thing I gained from SH2 was this community. I have enjoyed seeing the varying views and have been amazed at what was done with SH2 by some of the modders in here. Even had a few laughs! Subsim is one of the few sites I visit every few days.

As for my comment about reviews, I fervently hope we do not see the appalling situation we saw with SH2. That game had SO many bugs and flaws you had to be blind not to see them, but I didn't see a single one mentioned. Whover wrote them ought to be ashamed of themselves as they were either lying or unaware, either one of which makes them unsuitable for writing a review.

As to the issue of 'scripted' campaigns, I'll see what happens. Is it what I would prefer? No. Do I think it is wise to avoid the overwhelming feedback to be found about that particular aspect of the sim in this community? No. Does all that mean I think it's impossible for them to do a good enough job on all the aspects of the sim that this aspect kills it? No.

For that reason I'll stay tuned. Let's face it - if SH2 had addressed all its OTHER problems, the scripted campaign would still suck but it wouldn't be the killer. It was the fact that the scripted campaign sucked AND SO MANY OTHER THINGS DID, TOO, that made SH2 a dud.

Bear in mind - the intrepid modders have made SH2 pretty enjoyable despite all that. The developers, however, might also bear in mind that it's only the source code constraints that keep SH2 fatally flawed. It's ironic that the code that professionals developed is the limiting factor to what unpaid amateurs have since done with it....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: