Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Big picture naval sim?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apeboynotloggedin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Big picture naval sim? Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to a couple of releases that will be shown at E3 this year but they all seem to concentrate on one platform ala PT Boats (Akella), Subs (Ubi) or Aircraft (1C).

I'm wondering if anyone else is is going down the path of Sonanylsts Dangerous Waters where the player has access to several facets of naval engagements? It appears Midway, a recently annouced game, flirts with this approach but is more along the lines of BF1942 than DW.

I can't remember the last sim that allowed players to control from either a flagship and/or specific platform in say, the PTO from 1940-45 but also applies to any theatre. Players assigned a fleet and given responsiblity for finding and destroying the enemy fleet or taking a land objective. From assigining/flying Catalina recon flights to manuevering Carriers or other ships underattack form the opposing side. In multiplayer each player can be assigned a task force with clear objectives as to not spend countless hours wandering around the Pacific looking for each other.
em2nought

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres this and the follow on titles he's going to work on http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/RJW.html Imagine it won't be at E3 though.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks em2nought. I wish more titles like this were in the works. It seems graphics are coming a long way but frankly depth of sims seems to have plateaued for some time now.

Alot of work is going into the way things look but most boil down to; Grab a plane, boat or sub, make your way to mission point deal with AI defenses which are usually either lackluster or uber-otto, return to port later rinse repeat. Multiplayer in sims has little to do with strategy and more times than not boils down to a fragfest.

I'll be looking for Norm's release, hopefully enough intrest will be generated (and profits) to continue development of other conflicts and addition to adding more varibles.

-Apeboy
Torgen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh *wow*! I LOVE that era! In fact, the only thing better in my book would be covering naval combat post US Civil War to the introduction of HMS Dreadnaught. There were some *crazy* ships made, and it would be a hoot to try them out in battle!
Imp

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: regarding Reply with quote

Hello,
Just regarding the question: wha'ts the name of the game playing the conflict russo-japanese from 1904-1905 ? is it another mod patch to add to SH2 ? thanks for infos Smile))))
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's current working title is "The Russo-Japanese War 1904-1905", and from the pictures it looks more like Fighting Steel than anything SHII-related.
Imp

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks sailor Steve,
So this is a totally independent game which has nothing to do with SH2 structure....
I like very much historical reportage and documents and I watched a wonderful reportage made with original film from the time from the Romanov family and life, from the french realisator Frederique Mitterand talking of all the life of this dynasty, great naval defeat where the russian float made a mistake to sunk seven english boats thinking it was the japanese fleet... reportage called: " the fall of the eagle's empire".
This is the reason possibly why the english refused later to save all the tsar and all his family in England ..... they were killed few days after... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: