Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Naval Games worth checking out at E3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonarman

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Naval Games worth checking out at E3 Reply with quote

Here's a list culled from various news snippets of forthcoming naval games, I'm surprised there are so many compared to the small number of flight sims coming out these days! I think most of these will be on show at E3.

Akella/ 1c Company
Captain Blood
Swashbucklers
PT-Boats Knights of the Sea

Ascaron
Port Royale 2

Atari
Sid Meier's Pirates!

Buka Entertainment
Pacific Storm

Koei
Uncharted Waters Online

Mythis Games
Midway: Naval Battles

Nvidia Stand
Pirates of the Burning Sea

Sonalysts
SCS Dangerous Waters

Spirit
Voodoo Islands

Tesseraction Games
Enigma Rising Tide

Ubisoft
Silent Hunter 3
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, saved me a bit of typing Smile

http://www.subsim.com/2004e3_ssr.html
NefariousKoel

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that about the flight sims but..

Go boys! Go!
AH East

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now SCi 's MIDWAY....Looks like we were right about the Naval Combat Market being ready to take off...
Zerogreat

Location: Czech Republic, Prague, coordinates are sumthin like 50,10 North 14,25 East, not much accurate

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few years back we were overhelmed by aircraft sims, maybe the same is now going to happen with naval sims.
america person

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so...

I think flight sims are getting jaded....I think they are becoming a victim of their own success.

It seems as if you could end up trying to reinvent the wheel.

How much further can flight sims go?

Ok so graphical improvement is one way but that isn't a substitute for an immersive good playing sim. So you could get more technical and realistic in terms of FM and system functions but then it could get so realistic that people would be scared off. OK so like FS 2004 the options would be scaleable but where do they head now.

With FS 2004 there are so many addons that take it from pure simulator to multi faceted sim with the option for combat, however as far as I am aware things like campaigns in the FS2004 addons aren't really that well done.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Naval sims however haven't really scratched the surface in my opinion.

I am hoping the likes of DW will change this.

I hope that a follow on to DW would involve more impact on land operations...with a background land campaign that could be viewed and success in that battle depended how well you fought your naval battles..
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much further can flight sims go? Well, for starters I'd like a modern version of Red Baron; one that lets me fly even the earliest planes, and one that lets me fly two-seaters like the Voisin LA-III. After that I'd like to see a WWII sim that lets me do the 1941-42 period in Europe. Spit IIs and Vs vs Bf-109E-4s and F-2s!

But your right. Those are things that can be done just by modding the current sims.
CB..

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when flight sims start containing the one element not included in any flight sim i've heard about..that is ahem....FLIGHT!!!!

not some daft psuedo model file moving in a perculiar fashion..but honest to gosh flight...ive still not recovered from taking a look at what actually is happening during flight in FS2002...remove the camera smoothing from the exterior view and yeaarrrrghhhh!!!!

plane model file goes wibble wobble wibble wobble in response to joystick......thats what is actually happening!!! doesnt matter if the model file looks like a block of flats or a spitfire...no difference

so i reckon model some genuine air in a sim.....shouldnt be impossible///

then create a proper interaction between the model file of the aircraft and that air... doesnt seem too outlandish...

im sure they could start using the average racing car sim

the car doesnt sink thru the road surface...

have hundreds of "road" surfaces layered one on top of another...filling the 3d world....

then make the "hardness" of those surfaces dependant upon the forward speed of the aircraft divided by the areodynamic effeciency of the aircrafts wings , as the speed increases the players aircraft is pushed gradually upwards from surface layer to surface layer.. simulating something like genuine dynamic flight...

cap it of by making the actual design of the aircrafts 3d model file the key element in the aircrafts areodynamic characteristics..after all it's only really making a different use of advanced collision detection...only this time the collision is between the model file and the AIR!!! .(replace-ing the one size fits all airfile that allows a block of flats to fly as succesfully as the spitfire..)

and yur starting to move towards something that actually deserves to be called a FLIGHT SIMULATOR!!!!

i'd bet that something like the above system could and would work..

fancy a genuine Wright Brothers ,be the first to design and fly a powered aircraft sim....seems like the logical place to start!!....i reckon using some sort of development of the genuine flight sim concept would be a wonderfull and logical step forward for the home PC FS market....
america person

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe wright bros refrence made me crack up hehe Very Happy
Torgen

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, WWII Online is pay to play, but it has the Spit I and V vs the 109E4 and F. Also has a physics-based flight model, using actual wind tunnel data. Frustrating as hell though to try and claw your way up to 4k when the EWS goes off warning of He 111s over a factory town, only to have the bastards glide bomb the factories. The puny ammo load on the early Spits and Hurris make it almost worthless. That's why I'll use a Dewo 520 instead Smile

Oh, and I'd *kill* for a new WWI aerial game that started with the earliest crates and had a dynamic campaign that went through the war!
CB..

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

america person wrote:
hehe wright bros refrence made me crack up hehe Very Happy

Very Happy Yep ..am hoping eventually some game dev gets the joke aswell!!

maybe they'll build the darn thing!!
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean FS doesn't use a physics based flight model?
CB..

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure they use all the available date and programe it into the engine and airfile etc....but it's still just a model file going wibble wobble ...there's nothing that could be considered genuine flight going on...

no air no areodynamics just a bunch of stats in an airfile..

hence the fact that yu can replace the model file of a spitfire with the model file of a hot air baloon (or submarine for that matter..) and the dang thing will behave exactly the same...and so there is no flight just non dynamic preprogrammed behaviour..

im just looking at it from the point of view of Areomodeling ...after many years making flying model aircraft, i can't find any actual flight in any of the flight sims ive used..evrything is modeled of course...but its a simulation of a simulation of an illusion of flight, not flight itself...AFAIK

i find it extremely frustrating simply because it does seem feasible to me that genuine flight could be modeled in a virtual world such as a sim..

if my programming skills ever progress beyond the insanely rudimentary ill have a crack at it myself...and i bet i could pull it off..and it genuinely would be like being the wright brother's trying to figure out how to get aloft !!!
Zerogreat

Location: Czech Republic, Prague, coordinates are sumthin like 50,10 North 14,25 East, not much accurate

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want physic based model, try X-plane. It is based on true interaction of the virtual plane with virtual wind and virtual gravity and such. You can get the demo at www.x-plane.com . There is also a editor to create your own planes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Comments to SUBSIM Review All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: