Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Ubi Soft: Pacific Fighters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> All Kinds of Other Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seeadler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Ubi Soft: Pacific Fighters Reply with quote

Ubi Soft publish a new flightsim based on the IL2 engine called Pacific Fighters (it's not a April fool Smile )
Homepage: http://www.pacific-fighters.com/teaser/
Egan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy. Carrier ops, Supermarine Seafires and 16 new maps....this is gonna be good! Very Happy Very Happy

The Ubi forums are already asking whether or not a certain late war B-29 with certain late war ordnance is going to be possible....
Spartan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Hardware reqs? Reply with quote

I bought Forgotten Battles back when it first came out based on the assumption (reaffirmed on the box) that I could run it on my 256 MB of RAM. I ~could~, and interestingly enough the actual in-game performed quite smoothly. Loading times, however (as in, going ~into~ the flight-phase), were agonizing... so I hope that with this new product, Ubi will be more forth-coming of what is actually needed to run the game at maximum settings.

P.S.: ~would~ the loading time be a memory-problem? My cpu is a 1.5 ghz AMD, so I wouldn't have thought I'd have a problem in processing power... plus, I've got a 32 MB video card, but that shouldn't relate to game-loading time anyhow. Anyone know where my trouble may lay? I really enjoyed the first IL-2, so I really would love to be able to run this one as well. Thanks!

...The thing I ~really~ like about these games is how even the tanks have what seems to be a ~very~ intelligent AI (compared to the ground units in other flight sims that I have experienced). The behave like real armour would, and being able to see the dust thrown up by them as you streak low over the ground adds ~so~ much to the realism of flying Close Air Support.
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egan wrote:
Oh boy. Carrier ops, Supermarine Seafires and 16 new maps....this is gonna be good! Very Happy

Yes Sir! Razz Razz Razz
Egan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan,
FB is a funny game when it comes to system specs. I have a 1Gz chip and 512meg of memory and it can run perfectly with more than 32 planes flying around. at other times when there seems to be little going on it runs like a slide show. I guess a more poweful computer all round wouldn't hurt although i'm going to wait until PCI express makes its mark before i upgrade. LOading times can be a total nightmare too, especially on the infamous gulf of finland map.

I would guess that your problem is ram. I saw a vastly noticable difference when i went from 256 to 512. it's your cheapest way of improving it too.

Just been looking at the PF forum - no flyable B-29 Sad Ah well, the Mistel in AEP is a scary enough explosion for me without going atomic!
Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way:

The memory determines how many things you can do at a time, while the processor tells you how fast you can do all those things you loaded in your memory. Thus, it is inmediately noticeable in graphics, sounds and lag any improvement in memory, as sometimes the bottle´s neck is lying there, keeping the processor from showing all its potential.

And it is also a cheaper upgrade than the processor Smile

Cheers
Ahoy!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to (crash)land on a carrier again Smile Hopefully the AI will be a little more realistic and not cheat like it does in FB. It gets a little tiresome when you are doing 500 km/h level flight and a Yak makes a 180 turn and ends up on your tail Sad
Seeadler

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Screens, and look here you can see coast lines, now the SH3 dev team are in order to do the same :wink:
http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan what type of harddisk do you have?

I think the loading time with modern games depends more on the harddisk then on your system memory.

I would recommend something in the line of an 80 gb 7200/10000 rpm S-ATA harddisk

hope this helps
Olympic_old realiable

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn wasent logged in Embarassed

sorry!
Seeadler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Screens!
http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chance to test the latest build, it is great. Wait till you try landing on a carrier, it took me 2 hours of practice and I still only manage it one out of 3 tries!

here are a couple of screens

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/pacific_fighters1.htm
Egan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screenie at the offical site of the Japaneese attack at Pearl looks realy nice as well. Apparently They have worked out away to simulate different levels of flack now as well instead of just the super-mad death ray stuff ships used to fire up.
Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good.....gues what could be done if combining those beautiful japanese ship models with SH3?

...yeah..... Ping Ping Thumbs Up
Seeadler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

france-simulation.com preview Part I+II
http://www.france-simulation.com/fichiers/il2/preview_PF01_US.htm
http://www.france-simulation.com/fichiers/il2/preview_PF02_US.htm
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> All Kinds of Other Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: