Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SCX IIc feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have installed SCX with SC V1.8.

Gator wrote:
On another issue. Do the AI subs ever fire a retaliatory shot in this version ? ... the poor sap at one point stopped completely, never even tried to launch anything in my direction.

Its funny ain't it! Wink
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I have notice enemy subs never seem to fire any kind of snap shot any more.

Thomas, any comments?
Stewy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get enemy snapshots all the time (that is, with US boats, haven't tried others)

Usually, he'll pop a few CMs and then let off a fish or two as well...
Gator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLAM Strike wrote:
You should have installed SCX with SC V1.8.

Did a clean reinstall with v1.08 - still subroc and SS-N-16 behavior is porked in the same way - have no idea how it's possible considering the doctrine file is practically the same as in the original distribution.

So when you specify a snapshot and set the RTE the missile should drop the torp at that range ?

In my case the missile just flies right under the surface, straight, misses the target and keeps on going. If I don't use the snapshot then it still ignores the range and drops the torp in about 6000yards from the boat.
Pigfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Just noticed that the Iowa class BB max speed is set at 5 knots. :huh:
Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigfish wrote:

Yeah!!!! I confirm! Surprised
That sould not be right!!!! I'm sure she does more than 5 knots! Razz
I think she's suposed to do about 34. :wink:
raymond6751

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Upholder class now works Reply with quote

Thanks to Ramius.

I switched to Victoria as suggested, and now I can command an Upholder sub. Many thanks.

I won't ask why that worked.
Ramius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 sets of Upholders in SCX IIc with SCU.

The UPHOLDER - as a UK unit before being sold/rented to the Canadians

and

The VICTORIA - as a CAN unit.

So if you want to play as a Canadian Upholder, you have to select the Victoria as playable via SCU

Ramius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AI subs do not seem to react to active pinging at all. Is this the intended behavior ?

The peacetime detection kinda loses sense because of this. Would be nice to have the AI subs trying to break contact when it's obvious they were discovered.

Also, the active sonar does not detect many subs at all even at point blank range. It seems the value of 75 for the active return factor is "magical" - if I set it to below 75 the active sonar does not detect at all - at 75 it starts detecting. Do others observe the same ?
Gator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, AI subs seem to be able to launch Subrocs pretty well.

One thing I noticed that is weird - the speed of the W55 depth charge is set to 200 with the min depth of -450. I set up a mission with the Mike going at -1000m. Guess what - the depth charge traveled underwater at 200 and actually got to the Mike. Now, unless the thing is rocket propelled and is in a caviation bubble that is kinda strange.
Savages_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: humm Reply with quote

What ever happend to the Tug? I thought that was going to be in SCXIIc

Wolfy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still having problems with player-launched SUBROCs and SS-N-16/27.
The AI subs seem to launch them just fine. Very annoying - tried a lot of tweaks, nothing helps.

Some comments about the DB:

1. The speeds of the SS-N-16 and SS-N-27 are well over 500knots (1100 and 1675), while this probably corresponds to the real life data, the current SC simulation engine cannot properly calculate the payload drop time for such fast objects. The SS-N-16 and SS-N-27 routinely crash into water before dropping their torps and just disappear. Lowering the speed to 650 helps this problem. For slower SUBROCs the reverse is true - the torp is dropped too high and it "falls" from 1-2km altitude at its underwater speed. Probably the condition for dropping the torp can take into account the altitude (SUBROC doctrine file).

2. The mission priorities for the SS-N-16 have SUW at 2 and ASW at 1 - clearly should be SUW at 0 and ASW at 1 or 2.

3. The turn radius for many SSBNs is almost twice that of SSNs (1200 vs 750). The SSBNs (at least Soviet ones, also SSNs) are equipped with auxiliary turning mini-screws which help them cut the turning radius by quite a bit at low speeds. Not sure if this would make a lot of impact at higher speeds. I suspect the same feature is on the US subs.

4. The Alfa SSN was able to "turn on a dime" according to its Captains, also they note "jet-like acceleration" - the full speed could be reached within a minute - due to the peculiarities of the liquid-metal nuclear power plant. The turn radius of the Alfa is 750 - the same as that of larger boats, probably could be reduced to 650 or so.

5. Reloading times on Soviet subs. I raised this issue quite some time ago. The modern Soviet subs (actually beginning from Alfa) have very high degree of automation (evidenced by smaller crews - e.g. 73 on Akula vs ~141 on 688i). One of the procedures which is automated is reloading. I investigated the issue at the forum at http://submarine.id.ru . One of the submarine veterans responded saying the reloading takes about 5min and only requires pushing a couple of buttons. Now the SC database has 1000secs for reloading of the tubes on the Soviet subs. 5min would be 300secs. Alfa, Akula, Delta IV, Sierra II, Typhoon all have automatic reloading. Not sure about others.
Thomasew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Pigfish wrote:

Oops Sorry .. Embarassed , that's my fault ... forgot to reset the speed back to normal, after sorting out the Wep firing points.

Will sort it out.

Cheers
Tom
Thomasew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gator

I come back after a few days away, ... and the forum is just littered with all your theories ... again. Very Happy

Please do not try and equate 'real world' data, with what you see in the database ... 'cause it don't work. Confused

Also, .. what database are you actually talking about?, ... because you refer to things that exist in different databases. Confused

e.g. "2. The mission priorities for the SS-N-16 have SUW at 2 and ASW at 1 - clearly should be SUW at 0 and ASW at 1 or 2.
"

The data you refer to, is from the Sub Command default database .... not SCX ... :nope: SCX HAS the correct values

Reloading -- If you did any testing with any database ... you would see that reloading times ... don't work correctly. Bug in SC.

What's the purpose in all the long quotes out of all your 'new' books. .. ?? Razz

... I do believe you know how to read ... Yep Razz

Cheers
Tom
Gator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I had two DBs open sometimes - am I so much worked up about this that I mix them up ?
Of course I meant the SCXIIc DB - the latest.

Reading the book on tactics drove me to this madness: are the data in the latest DB consistent with those, are they consistent relative to each other, why is the active sonar useless , why do the subs ignore active pinging ? etc ad nauseum.

And every time I ask a question I have to have a quote "to set the context" - professional habit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sub Command All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: