Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Manning multiple stations!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which stations will be most commonly used?
Mostly two players to a ship, with one on Sonar
29%
 29%  [ 38 ]
Three on 1 FFG, 1 Helo, and 2 on 2 subs
10%
 10%  [ 13 ]
Depends on how many players the game will support
36%
 36%  [ 47 ]
4 players on a surface ship vs 4 on a sub, max teamwork!
21%
 21%  [ 28 ]
I'm not sure I want to have an interloper aboard my fine ship
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 130

Three14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point (about jerks), though I can't say that was ever a problem for me with sub sims (natural filter for jerks) in the Seawolves or when I occasionally played with Marauders.

I think you'd want flexible positions, but I expect 2-3 people with some autocrew assist. They would tend to allocate to sonar and maybe even 2 on TMA (could be fun). Most dives like this won't be that fast, because of all the effort you put into setting up the teams, so I see it being a pretty loose thing, with a person getting bored of one job switching with other people.

The aircraft should be really fun, too. Nice two person op.
Furia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already discussed on an EARLY POST about the need to stablish some kind of Chain of Command within each platform and its different stations.
I requested the figure of the commanding Officer who would be able to overide other players imputs, kick them out, or limit their access to specific stations.
I proposed the Commanding Officer of each platform define what stations should have each player access.
However from Jamie we were told that was not the approach they were aiming and that they trust everybody will behave properly.
I still have serious doubts about this but we will see.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll have to wait and see how the dev team sets it up. It could be that if 3 guys choose to team up aboard an Akula, for example, then any station abord that ship will be available to them; you coul have 3 guys all watching the bb and discussing what they see...

or they could have the stations assigned, so if you take the sonar assignment, you man all the sonar modes... if you get weapons, then you just ride along, waiting for your big moment...

we'll see. I think the players will set up a gentlemen's agreement on who has the conn and then let him run the boat. I'm sure there will be more than a few mutinies Smile

The "kick" feature is pretty common in MP games, maybe the host will be considered the Captain by default and he can kick smacktards...

Last edited by Neal Stevens on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furia wrote:
We already discussed on an EARLY POST about the need to stablish some kind of Chain of Command within each platform and its different stations.
I requested the figure of the commanding Officer who would be able to overide other players imputs, kick them out, or limit their access to specific stations.
I proposed the Commanding Officer of each platform define what stations should have each player access.
However from Jamie we were told that was not the approach they were aiming and that they trust everybody will behave properly.
I still have serious doubts about this but we will see.

Furia, it would take a lot of programming to implement a hard coded chain of command system. It's not feasible. Anyway, in the real navy, there's nothing to keep the sonar guy from running out of the shack and blowing the tanks or raising the scope. :huh: It depends on discipline. DW will accurately model that, so players who do not follow the agreed upon chain of command, will find it hard to play a game with the rest of us. Wink
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skriblz wrote:
Imagine you are manning a platform with some player you don't know. Let's say this player just wanted to annoy you for the hell of it (it's not hard to find annoying people on the internet) or maybe he got into an argument with you and the other players in the game and got mad. If he wanted to, he could just go to FC and launch a few snapshots to ruin your stealth. Or maybe he would go to the TMA station and screw around with your firing solutions or, worse, ....

That's why is it very important to play a game you like in the context of a virtual fleet such as Seawolves or Sub Club. Yep
skriblz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:

That's why is it very important to play a game you like in the context of a virtual fleet such as Seawolves or Sub Club. Yep

ditto, just haven't been around SubClub for almost two years Surprised . I'm too busy for long MP games Sad
Furia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Stevens wrote:

Furia, it would take a lot of programming to implement a hard coded chain of command system. It's not feasible. Anyway, in the real navy, there's nothing to keep the sonar guy from running out of the shack and blowing the tanks or raising the scope. :huh: It depends on discipline. DW will accurately model that, so players who do not follow the agreed upon chain of command, will find it hard to play a game with the rest of us. Wink

Hello Neal.

The reason I am so concerned on this is because I have played for long time MP games that require multiple team members. The best example of this is Operation Flashpoint.

Even in organized Battalions like Seawolves (SWAF) the control tools come real handy and useful. Surely those games involve more players than naval games but belive me, when you have lets say 4 people per every station, and several vessels fully manned, gentleman attitudes may not be enough, and with just one rogue guy is enough to ruin the whole game.
I have suffered this experience many times (Too many Confused ) this is why I am concerned.
When people is single commanding its own ship, it is easier to be gentlemen, and besides this, even in games like Destroyer Command vs Silent HunterII in some cases it is really difficult to do teamwork (other fellow players ignore your actions, attack same sub than you collisioning with you, damage you with DC, torp fello DD or merchies.......) and we are talking about a 1 men one ship.
I think Operation Flashpoint have after hard experience incorporated nice features to control such behaviour that we should not ignore, neither I think they would be too fiddicult to implement.

When on multiplayer screen, at the time of assigning ships, each ship should have a Commanding Officer, who should be the "admin" of that ship. Rest of players on that ship should be assigned to specific stations. That is Player One to Sonar, player 2 to Helm.....
The Commanding officer should have in game the option to restrict them to that possition of allow free movement within stations.
He also should have the Kick out option.
This Commanding officer/admin role should be done on EVERY ship, not only by the game host, who may happen to be your OPFOR and whom you do not have to explain your "internal troubles"
The more people we expect to play this game the more assurances we must take to prevent some jerks to ruin games.
It is sad to say, but sooner or later it will happen.
This trouble have not happened to naval sims yet because until now each player was his own Captain.
Now with 4+ players per ship you need a Commanding Officer every ship (a ship cannot have 4 Captains, no matter how gentlemen and nice they are) This is how it works on Real Life and how we should have it in DW.
The Commanding officer is the "manager" of the team efforts and he should have enough tools to be really in "COMMAND"
This Commanding Officer should among other things the capability of locking/unlocking the fire control panel so no undesired launch is done by "accident".

Actually I cannot imagine the actual system proposed by Sonalyst. How would it work? will the 5 players meet in sonar and vote about what to do and how to attack? What will happen if each of them have a different idea or suggestion? will they sit there arguing or debating? hmm
I recall on Crimsom Tide, the CO said: We are here to protect democracy, not to practice it
The best way ato expand the game to the maximum number of people would be allowing fun and interesting games for many players, anytime any way. The actual system (or no system) only alllows me to play with small groups of friends who convene on acting as team and self appoint a CO. Otherwise none would want to play this game with unknown players, at least not me. I do not want to stay playing 1 hour to have a game ruined by a John Doe who suddendly decided that giving away our possition and firing all our weapons was just nice. So instead of expanding the game MP possibilities you are forcing hard core players to seriously limiting whom they play to avoid such incidents. That means small closed groups.

I am sorry to say that unless we take steps on this direction or we end up regreting it in the long term, forcing Sonalyst to make a patchto fix it.
All my experience on large multiplayer teams make belive so. Crying or Very sad
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furia wrote:
This Commanding Officer should among other things the capability of locking/unlocking the fire control panel so no undesired launch is done by "accident".

Lets just make it lock/unlock ALL stations, every station if misused could lead to your destruction!
Helm: Increasing speed and Cutting your TA or Cavitation. Even worse EMERGENCY BLOW!
Sonar: Active sonar pinging at the wrong moment
RADAR: When at Shallow depth it suddenly turns on giving away your position
ESM/Radar: Someone raising your masts breaking them so you can't receive critical orders:
TMA: Dropping all your contacts or messing with range.
FC: Again firing all your weapons.
NAV: IMing your position to the enemy, instant SUBROC nightmare!! >(Bwhahahaha mine is an evil laugh)
Scope: Breaking your scope so you can't do PD attacks.
rayespiritu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's to say the commanding officer wouldn't be one of these assinine players? Hmmm? Then he can lock all stations down or wait till you're in the engine room station, lock that down, and now you're stuck in a boring station?

Besides, with the focus of this game on trying to attract new people - i.e. people who don't usually play these games, the difference between a jerk and a clueless newbie is a very small one.

A clueless newbie may accidentally do things because he's pressing buttons trying to find out how to make things work. Yes, he probably should have read the manual. Yes, he probably should have played it offline to figure things out.

But, again the focus is on getting new people. And this is what new people do. Your best bet is playing w/ people who already play these kinds of games OR hosting a game yourself for the purpose of teaching newbies.

Ray
timmyg00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where online gaming groups come in... they usually have a formal training program and several members willing to train new guys on an informal basis.

TG
Furia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that unless we have some means to ensure no jerks or new players ruin games, we will probably end up playing in small, reduced groups. I will surely take no chances playing with public or unknown people that can ruin a game if I do not have means to prevent it.
I have experienced this troubles many times. The more people that play the game, the more means we should have to keep things organized.
Otherwise the only ones that will make full use of MP on same ship capabilities would be the Virtual Fleets, and belive me , they (we) will also welcome and make use of such features.
boomer714

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised
Hi Guys,

My vote is leaning to 3 on an FFG, 1 on Helo, and 2 on 2 subs. No matter what we do; we could never hope to realistically emulate a real world manning level of even a small U.S. Navy warship. That would be like min. of 125 for a sub and about 300 for a surface ship. I say think what kind of a virtual sailor you want to be; surface, subs, or airdale; then let your consience be your guide. I was a fully qualified, real world Submariner and also qualified in surface warfare. On a ship or sub with a small crew; all crew members need and had to be cross-trained to some extent, on what the other crew members do, for thier primary duty aboard ship/sub. Thier is also a Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill that determines what all hands will do for each situation that the ship/sub may find herself in, ie fire, battle stations/general quarters, missle emergency, etc. I was a Navigation Electronics Technician as my primary billet at my first Sub. I did many other duties than that. During Battle Stations Missile; I was the Navigation Supervisor responsible for making sure all our data, provided to Fire Control, was good and green. During Battle Stations Torpedo, surface transit, and periscope depth evolutions; I manned the ESM Receiver and classified/reported contacts to the OOD.

I think being flexible, within your choosen platform will make station manning easier. We could have squadron level units of FFGs, Subs, and Helos that just operate with one type of platform. This way you could get really good at what you like to do. We could take it one step further and, when you want to, integrate into a bigger fleet size unit.

Well, got to go, but this post has been fun.

Bravo Zulu,

Boomer714
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: