Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

German speech
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinitoon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: German speech Reply with quote

Talking about all the different features.
There is one essential thing to me: I want my crew to talk GERMAN! Otherwise it would mean a great loss in atmosphere.

Maybe you should have the choice between german only or with subtitles or english only.
Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Häää, is SH III not planned bilinguar? Reply with quote

I canīt believe that SH III is only in English? Is that right?
A subsim of Dönitzī Grey Wolfes and they will talk only american english, that cannot be true! Anybody knows what is fact?

OSKAR***

(...if that is true that means much work for my studio!)
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those talking know nothing regarding the facts of SHIII Confused

All those that know (yes we are looking at you Neal) are not talking Sad

But at least Neal is not poking his tongue at us whilst going "nah nah nah......." Very Happy
tinitoon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do you agree actually that it is an essential part of a WW2 subsim that the crew talks in german?

As we know very little about this I'd love to hear a statement from someone who knows.
Drebbel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Germany is an very important market for SHIII I am sure that German speech will be included (just as in SHII and AOD)
AS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since both SH2 and AoD had German voices, I donīt see why there shouldnīt be German voices in SH3. Whatīs more important to me is that this time they use good speakers taking the situation aboard into account. AoD was much better than SH2 here.

Someone suggested different tones depending on the situation, which in my opinion is a great idea. By the way, most of the stuff they say is sheer nonsense, like "Neuer Sonarkontakt" ("new sonar contact") , as the Germans didnīt use the word "sonar" at this time.

Also very funny are those monoton, almost bored to death voices telling you in a "by the way" kind of style: "Schiff gesichtet"="ship sigthed" (yawn, weīve only been out here for three weeks seeing nothing, so donīt be too excited about it), or "Achtung, Wasserbomben", which translates like "Mind the depth charges" Wink

Another good one is "Ziel erreicht", meaning "destination reached" or in other words: "Weīre here!". Now can you imagine how ridiculous that sounds somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic, grey sea, grey sky no land for ages, and all of a sudden one guy approaches you on the bridge, saying "So weīre here!" At last! And I was under the impression we werenīt here, but there. No, here! Oh you mean there? Well, good fun for Sesame Street!

Cheers, AS
tinitoon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey AS! You are so right! The SH2 sailors were real tough guys. I mean they always sound like being at a cheese counter and not in a WW2 torpedo tin.

We want good voice actors!!
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the examples ya gave AS, reason alot of them happen is cause some guy who doesnt speak german writes all the lines to be said, and then tries to translate them, rather then doing the research and having the lines done with out translation (ie where you use the correct technical german sub phrases, and the equivelant english phrases)
tinitoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeonSamurai wrote:
As for the examples ya gave AS, reason alot of them happen is cause some guy who doesnt speak german writes all the lines to be said, and then tries to translate them, rather then doing the research and having the lines done with out translation (ie where you use the correct technical german sub phrases, and the equivelant english phrases)

Exactly. It's the same problem with these translated movie titles.

Like "We were soldiers" was translated to better fit the german language into "Wir waren Helden" which means "We were heros".
So a lot of terms should not be translated by the develelopment team. They should instead ask for the approriate term (maybe in this forum) if they don't already knnow. I hope they'll do it right.
jason210

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: German Voices a Must Reply with quote

I agree. German voices are a must.
AS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we can take it for granted that a dev team developing a U-Boat sim has to read about U-Boats and see films, especially "Das Boot" which pretty much serves as a reference in the genre. Consequently, itīs just not possible NOT to come across all those nautical and technical terms... I think the SH2 team just didnīt care. Obviously they hadnīt had the time, the money and the motivation. I cross my fingers SH3 will do better!

Cheers, AS
Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: German and English Speech in SH III Reply with quote

Canīt they ask the producer team of the "Das Boot" Directors Cut if they can use some of the voices in there?
Isnīt that cheaper than recording new ones?
Almost every situation in the fil has the right commands u could use in a subsim!
Okay, maybe not able to do this because of the reserved rights of the author, but:
They should use this film Sounds as an example to record similar ones!

OSKAR***

many of us used the "Alaaaarm!" shout from the Movie and me as well, Iīve integrated the machine, scope and diving orders from "Das Boot"in SHII!
Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, do you agree actually that it is an essential part of a WW2 subsim that the crew talks in german?

Oh good, typical american arrogance, as I would ask if we need american orders in a german sub?

Your question is really poor, sorry foe that, but I mean we are
a globally bunch of subsim fans, so why not even france und spanish and anything else? Yayaya, the money makes the world go round....
International greets
OSKAR***
america person

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agrees w/ others better german voices should be a must also i forget are there subtitles when its in german, i would check but i cant play games during the week(im in highschool, parental rule) so if theres not then in sh3(how do you get roman numerals) tehn there should be some imo.
AS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@America person:
Roman numerals on the keyboard? Is it possible that you are the guy who is also desperately searching for that damn "Anykey" (as the messages always say: "Press any key", donīt they?)

Roman numerals are in fact letters since the Romans didnīt HAVE a numeral system. Your figures 1,2,3, etc. are Arabian (yes, hard to believe for some, but there used to be a time when Arabians were far ahead of Europeans). So it is
I (capital i)
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII (as in the famous U-Boat type VII)

etc.

X=10
L=50

Glad to be of help, AS
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: