Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Circle Runners?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montecarlo_75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Circle Runners? Reply with quote

Hellody all!

I placed this subject in the suggestions for DEV's, but i thought it also might bear some discussion here too. Circle runners: many U-boat commanders had problems with them, and were lucky to survive these chance encounters. I'd imagine that American commanders had some of the same problems too, but my knowledge of that area is not as deep as it should be. Perhaps there should be a very small percentage of torpedoes in the game that circle run, and if you're not quick (or lucky) you get your boat blown out from underneath you. This would be a fairly cheap way to add a degree of realism and also give gamers a little respect for the fact that pure chance can kill you as easily as the enemy. Just my opinion though... what do y'all think?
Henric Edwards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Circle Runners? Reply with quote

montecarlo_75 wrote:
Hellody all!

I placed this subject in the suggestions for DEV's, but i thought it also might bear some discussion here too. Circle runners: many U-boat commanders had problems with them, and were lucky to survive these chance encounters. I'd imagine that American commanders had some of the same problems too, but my knowledge of that area is not as deep as it should be. Perhaps there should be a very small percentage of torpedoes in the game that circle run, and if you're not quick (or lucky) you get your boat blown out from underneath you. This would be a fairly cheap way to add a degree of realism and also give gamers a little respect for the fact that pure chance can kill you as easily as the enemy. Just my opinion though... what do y'all think?

They were indeed a problem for US boats too. If my memory serves me it was especially true for the early Mark XVIII electric torpedos. I for one would be all for the implementetion of circle runners, but I think it would have to be optional. Otherwise I fear it might cause some real frustrations and upset gameplay a bit depending on how common the developers make it.
montecarlo_75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellody all,

Indeed, it should be optional, kind of like dud torpedoes... but if it was implemented, I would hope that it wasn't a very common occurance at all, because I know it didn't happen all that often to the U-boats. Just often enough to scare you once or twice in the game; maybe it could be like the 'rare animals' that are shot in hunting games, something to brag about? Who knows, but I think it would make for a realistic experience.
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that tended to do it the most were the acoustic homing torpedoes, particularly the american ones, as they had a habbit of homing into the sub that fired them, us orders when using acoustic torps was to fire them at 120 feet depth.

The rest of the torpedoes for the torp to circle back the torps rudder would have to jam when turning to the berring or a serious gyro malfunction would have to happen.

Generaly speaking the risk wasnt too great of the torp actualy hitting your boat, most often they would pass behind you in the loop, or go over top. Plus you should have ample warning if your sonar man is paying attention.

Would be a interesting feature but it should be very rare unless playing with acoustics.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary sub skipper Dick O'Kane lost his boat, Tang, and most of his crew when he tried to put the finishing touch to a crippled Japanese freighter with an "easy" night surface shot that circled on him. This was 1944, and he spent the last part of the war as a POW.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: