Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Latest SH3 screenies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, agreed indeed. Itīs like going to buy a CD player and they say they can only give last yearīs model that cannot play MP3, has no shuffle play and no, sorry, no remote control. When you say "well, the other shops do have CD players that are up to date!", they show you an old grammophone, sneering at you, saying: "well, look, compared to THIS we are quite contemporary, arenīt we."

cheers, AS
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me i gotta say graphics are nice and all, but the gameplay and immersion factor is what realy counts in the long run. POTC for example had beautifull graphics, but the gameplay was lousy, so the end result is the cd case is sitting around collecting dust.. I realy think the devs teams as a whole realy need to start remembering that.

Also keep in mind these screens are supposedly pre alpha according to the info on the bottom right corner of the screens, so most likely they contain placeholder graphics and are probably not representational of the final look of the game. They also dont look polished yet given the grainy look of the screens.
AS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why it is so difficult for some people to understand that when we talk about screenshots we talk about graphics.

Talking about graphics means talking about graphics.

Talking about graphics does not necessarily imply talking about gamreplay, dynamic campaigns or the metaphor of illness in Shakespeareīs Hamlet.

Can someone please develop a non-graphic, no sound, just pure gameplay dynamic campaign simulator for those guys whining here please!!!

Cheers, AS
oche

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics look great but not impressed at all with these pictures, :nope: pretty much "eye candy" than any other stuff, i will not buy this game unless it gets good remarks from the subsim community after its release to the public. On the other hand Pacific Aces project promise to be one hell of a MOD, now for that i sent my donation check without thinking twice. Very Happy
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS wrote:
I wonder why it is so difficult for some people to understand that when we talk about screenshots we talk about graphics.

Talking about graphics means talking about graphics.

Talking about graphics does not necessarily imply talking about gamreplay, dynamic campaigns or the metaphor of illness in Shakespeareīs Hamlet.

Can someone please develop a non-graphic, no sound, just pure gameplay dynamic campaign simulator for those guys whining here please!!!

Cheers, AS

They all combine to form the game and make it good or not in the end, nice graphics are good an all as long as there is an actual fun game with the graphics to play and hopefully get your money's worth out of hopefully more.

Too many games for the last 6 or so years have been killer graphics with little or no game attached too the graphics, that isnt a whine, thats pretty much the industry norm now, they go for the eyecandy and release shoddy bug ridden/broken games with little or no content, or replayability. Then they take months to fix the game to what it should have been at when released, assuming they dont just take the money and run.
AS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. My point was just why canīt we just stick to one topic for a while without all the "buts" all the time. When I talk about graphics, I take it for granted that gameplay is also very important, and so is sound and so is a dynamic campaign etc.

Itīs like asking someone whether he prefers the Beatles or Rolling Stones and the answer is "well, donīt forget that without a really good CD player and speakers they both wonīt sound very good....

Goodness!

Gameplayingly Yours,

AS Wink
Transhectadon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again, well good to see s.shots, and there is a difference between graphic designers and programmers.

if and when SH3 is available you are always going to get negative comments or even those thoughts for the entire review. people like bad news, good news doesnt sell, unlike controversy.

... didnt see any pictures of crewmen, i wonder whats happened with that theme, oh well, lets find out... Smile
AS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

please do have a look at the screenshots of "Virtual Skipper" on page 6 of the "MORE EYE CANDY" thread.

Man, after seeing this the SH3 pics seem really outdated already...

Cheers, AS
codmander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: upgrade Reply with quote

lets hope the requirments for running sh3 will be up there because if not it'll just be another piece of junk
oche

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep just another "eye candy" Piece of junk... :nope:
AS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those always concerned about the system requirements: Virtual Skipper runs on my 1,5 Pentium4 / Geforce 4TI with all details on in highest 32bit resolution SMOOTHLY. It also runs fine on 1GH systems with older graphic boards. So here we have a sim that is not only nicely done but also well programmed. IT IS possible to combine good AI, eye candy and acceptable system specs, even in a niche product.

Cheers, AS
Oesten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone still running a PC with a less than 1 Ghz CPU, e.g. a Pentium III or Athlon 850, and running Windows 98 or 95, should not be thinking about running new simulator games.

Sorry but your system is VERY out of date - so either buy a new PC or stick with SHII.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have very little hope of upgrading my system anytime in the forseeable future, I guess I'll just huddle in the dark and watch you civilized humans enjoy yourselves in the light. Rolling Eyes
Nightowl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of an 'Admiral' who couldn't afford a measly computer upgrade... Joking
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Bet you never heard of an Admiral who lived 4000 feet up in the mountains and 600 miles from the ocean, either. Razz I got this way by talking too much.

Truth is, I will be trying to set money aside for that upgrade, as I can't play IL2 either, and that's something I really want. Only problem is, motorcycle repair and upgrade take precedence over computers. I have my priorities, you know.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: