Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

The Periscope Station
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH2 Pacific Aces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkstream

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: The Periscope Station Reply with quote

This is the Periscope station for all US subs.

It shows the Kollmorgan periscope, made by Kollmorgan, Brooklyn, New York .
Virtually all US subs were fitted with one version or another of these scopes during the second world war. Like German subs there were two separate scopes, one a general observation scope, and the other an attack scope. As far as I can determine, they were externally very similar.

The Kollmorgan scope was a collimating periscope which used moveable prisms to determine the range of the target. Once the image of the ship was superimposed over the target image, the range was read off and entered into the tdc. (This has not been modeled). The blank left eyepiece was adjustable and designed to keep all light out of the unused eye. It was known as a “blinder” (like horse blinders being used to avoid distraction).

The large complex dial at the bottom of the scope represents the stadimeter dial, which was used to determine the relative track of the target. The following show transparencies taken from the original Service Manual of the scope:

If you want to learn ALL about it, follow this link:

http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/index.htm

To switch to the periscope view, you have to click on the red pilot light, bottom right hand corner. All periscope functions are controlled via the keyboard. This is because another crewman was responsible for raising and lowering the periscope on the commanders order (see RSRD), and also because you cannot see anything useful through the periscope in the “down” station.

This is the view through the attack screen, which is based on numerous photos taken through US periscopes.

Otherwise, it works just like the Historical Periscope for SHII.

This mod may not work on slow machines. It is also available in 1024.

Hope you all enjoy it.

Periscope: Darkstream
Background and overlays: Horsa
Incorporating Accurate Periscope Mod v4.0 by kind permission of Redwine.

Regards,
mystery meat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We certainly will. I have been hanging over every scrap of information you guys release. Thanks for all your hard work!
airwolf2004

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks darkstream for the pics so how do i know what keys operate the scope on the keyboard im used to using the mouse and pointing to the scope to scan the surface what keys do i use on the keyboard to do that

airwolf
DS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Great work! Reply with quote

Outstanding approach to re-working the scope. I think it's much more realistic than the SH2 scope, as looking through a real periscope should fill your field of view to the exclusion of all else, just like yours.

Are the range estimation marks are actually usefull, and were you able to model both attack and search scopes, or did the original code prohibit that?
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that's gorgeous! I'm working overtime right now just to get the money for a new computer, and the only reason I need that is so I can run all of these great mods! Oh, well also so I can finally buy IL2.
Darkstream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyboard Operation:(It's in the manual you know)

Page UP/DOWN= raise/lower periscope

cursor left/right=traverse scope view

cusor up/down= angle of view

L=lock target

There is no point in trying to model two separate scope views because:

1. The view woud be the same

2. There would be no real way to differentiate them

3. the additional texture plates and switch complexities for this station would likely bog even fast computers.

The range marks are in the same positions as on the reticule, you can use them for manual tdc like you would the standard setup.

Regards,
Knat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Animation? Reply with quote

Is there some sort of raise/lower animation a-la SH1 flavor? If not, other kind of raise/lower animation/indicator i.e. SHII. Thanks! Very Happy

Jim Carter
Col7777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no raise/lower animation, but you get the sound of the scope plus if you look in the small eye-piece you will see it change colour as it lowers/raises.
Darkstream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did start working on a raise/lower mechanism, and it can be done, i.e. you actually see the scope rising into position.

The problem is that I had to use the scope raise needle indicator for this and this is a CONTROL in .dsf terms. That means that it will allways be visible in the screens unless an image with a higher priority overlays it. Since the actual viewport is of the lowewest priority (layer level), it means that the scope would be bang in the middle of the periscope view itself. And IF you could make the viewport higher priority, then it would overwrite the periscope. You need to be able to turn the image off, AND make it rise.

So unless CB has any good ideas, looks like this is a hard coded problem.
hunter301

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's really cool to be on external view and watch your scope go up and down while under water. I just wish I could overlay the Kron Ladder on this scope mod then it would be PERFECT!!
CB..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not unless yu want to borrow some of the functions from the dive bubble /depth indicator normally displayed left screen in the stock screen..that might be usable to display some sort of animation for some form of additional effect?

i had a go at using it to place some form of water splash onto the scope view that came and went as the scope dipped under the surface and reapeared that sort of thing seem possible but i ran out of patience before i got it working properly..the main difficulty was the way in which the texture chosen for the effect was displayed in a tiled form rather than a whole image...but that is a technical problem that could be sorted with a bit of trail and error...this is not what yur asking for but it does illustrated that the depth bubble/scope height indicator can be used for other effects...
lhodaniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Can't lock a target Reply with quote

I just installed PA and the scope mod. It looks great, but I'm lined up on my first convoy. I have a merchant at 700 yards as big as a house. But, I get no flashing triangle nor will it show a locked triangle when I press L. Help!

Lloyd
klh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't lock a target Reply with quote

lhodaniel wrote:
I just installed PA and the scope mod. It looks great, but I'm lined up on my first convoy. I have a merchant at 700 yards as big as a house. But, I get no flashing triangle nor will it show a locked triangle when I press L. Help!

Lloyd

Lloyd, was the weather foggy/raining with very low visibility? If so, then the AI won't "see" the sub until long after you do. You will have to fire manually, but at that distance, it's pretty easy. If you don't want to do the whole manual TDC thing, just aim your sub at the target (maybe lead it a little) and fire without having a target lock. Just like WWI!

Finish your mission and move on to the next, and hope for better weather. These low visibility missions are pretty tough. I've been rammed several times as I waited for a target to come out of the fog. When it does, it's too late to avoid the collision.
lhodaniel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Yep, it's raining. Reply with quote

Yes, this is a rainy mission. But, geez, I'm on top of these ships. I installed rainmod.zip that I dl'd from this site. I actually see heavy rain now. Do you think this mod might be interfering with the targeting system? Would it be worth a clean reinstall without this mod?

I know, I'm lazy. I could enter TDC data manually. But, that's too much like work (I'm an engineer) and I'm trying to unwind from that when playing the game. Smile

Lloyd
lhodaniel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Target Locking problem Reply with quote

Just to be sure I'm not missing something...

This is my first campaign mission and I'm assigned to a Sargo class sub. I raise the scope and press the red knob in the lower right corner to see through the eyepiece. At 000, I see another smaller scope raised in front of mine. If I have my history right, this smaller scope might have been the attack scope and the larger one might be the observation scope. Do I have some keystroke or other toggle to go to an attack scope and is that why I can't lock on a target? I am hitting ships at PBR, but I'd rather the locking system work. I notice you don't show the Kolleran (sp?) mod above. Could this cause the problem? Thanks!

Lloyd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH2 Pacific Aces All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: