Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

the crew management
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscar19681

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: the crew management Reply with quote

i think this should be done in a same way like in b-17 the mighty eight . if you would click a crew member a small easy menu came up so you could tell the crew member what to do . if a gun was jammed or someone needed first aid a small jammed weapon or first aid icon was added to the menu for you to select . offcourse sometimes the crew would do it automaticly and if you wanted to let hem do something else you click an icon ! b-17 the mighthy eight never became would it could have been , but the crew management was pretty cool though . also the crew voices where done by hired actuers making the crew sound very realistc and sometimes even emotionall , sometimes a crew member would freak out screamin over the intercom . making a simulation is one thing but by having a interacting virtual crew it makes the simulator much more believable and personnal .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oscar19681

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone wish to comment on this please?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oscar19681

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the crew members need to be given a face a name and a small background . also crew members can get wounded and if you don,t replace wounded sailors your morale score go,s down making it harder to complete your missions . offcourse in shiii you can replace or leave them on dryland for a while , but of you replace a crewmember with a new one it will be a rookie.
Seeadler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't exactly know which game it was but I think the old DOS WWI game Jutland. There you had the possibility on a blueprint to place parts of the crew for repairing and fire fighting on the individual departments of the ship.
R Hardman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how they do it there should be a way in the setup to disable the crew to save on CPU resources. I agree that there should be a way to individualize repairs.
Teemu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscar19681 wrote:
also crew members can get wounded

But how?
oscar19681

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by hurting themselves? no seriously crew would ge wounded due to depthcharge attack , or when attacked on the surface.
TheHunter U46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

it would be very great, when some guys of the crew stand on the bridge und look for enemy ships.

Or when the "LI" shout "All mens forward" german ---->"Alle Maaaannn vorraus!" and all crew members run forward.

I hope for new screens next time.... Very Happy

With friendly greetings,
The Hunter
AS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there werenīt many wounded U-Boat sailors, because different from what you see in "Das Boot" depth charge attacks were not THAT dramatic with people flying helplessly around somewhere. Buchheim, the author of Das Boot, has been attacked very hard by other U-Boat veterans saying that the crew normally never left their station (even under the impact of depth charges) and there was much more discipline than depicted in the somewhat inaccurate movie. U-Boat veterans did suffer from "normal" illness, a tooth ache or a heavy fever could end up as a real problem being thousands of miles away from any surgery. But the only way to be wounded was either due to accidents or machine gun attacks by planes (not too likely though).

So letīs not expect a kind of "Submarine Duke Nukem" Wink

AS
oscar19681

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well shII at least had dead crewmembers making it harder to make repairs the more sailors you lost . you suppose the sailors died of heart attacks then?
tinitoon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought exactly the same thing! The crew management in B17 II is really well done and adds a lot of atmosphere.
Would be great to see something similar in SHIII!!!
oscar19681

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got that right! i thought i was the only one who new what i was talking about . to bad that b-17 the mighty eight was so full of bugs . but the crew management seemd the only thing they did right . i was thinking maybe they can cut up the crew comparments into peaces , then like in b-17 you can jump between the different stations ! seeing your crew at work!!
tinitoon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and if there won't be any injuries to deal with in the compartments there should be compartment specific damage.
Maybe like in B17 II the crew can be kind of shocked and then their skill level drops (after a depth charge run by a destroyer).

Of course it's a lot of work to actually show the specific damage or crew behaviour.
I mean wouldn't it be great to actually see the water that floods the boat?
oscar19681

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i wonder more more what this game will end in to .
wolfy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that in SHII you could suffer casualties onboard your boat (very rarely happens to me though, only when I am totally screwed), but does losing memebers of the crew really slow down repairs? I don't ever remember anything like this. Confused
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: