Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Direct your comments to Dev Team here:
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Direct your comments to Dev Team here: Reply with quote

Yep, the men building Silent Hunter III will be reading this thread, I'm told. What do you value most in a WWII subsim? List it here. Please remember that the people making the game have the final say on how the game is made, but they are interested in your input.

Neal
Subsim Review
subsim.com

Last edited by Neal Stevens on Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Dietger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neal, Hi DEVs Smile
Surprised
Ok, important for myself is a life like invironment.
Scripted missions are a NO_GO. :nope:
Not really a 1:1 simulation of everything related to the Atlantic U-Boot war, not a simulation that take years to develope is needed but the "being_there_factor" is greater if I see the following:

-internal 3d parts of the boot;
-freedom to move inside and outside of the boot;
-Crew + interaction with the men;
-dynamic weathersystem (look at FS2004)
-movin salt water! Very Happy and of course a movin boot: inside as well as outside;
-freedom to actually sail the boot from harbour to the patrol area;
-as much realism in actually "driving" the ship as possible, I mean not just the up and down arrows - a complex simulation of the pumbs, ship systems engines etc;
-complex learning AI for the crew and oponents
- visable damage, changable interior

Smug

You see guys I m easy to satisfy :wink:

Dietger
Tahrn80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents opinion for a sucess:
(I repeat it, but it seems to be THE thread that will be read by develloper)

Make the game as moddable as possible.

It is impossible to satisfy everybody with one version of the game, and it is quite a challenge to devellop features that won't need any improvements.
Subsim's community has proven itself worth of creating quality mods for last games, most of the time better than the original features of a game, but with difficulties related to hard-coded stuff.

Graphics, sounds, captors, AI, models, damage systems, weapons...
if anything can be changed and the 3d engine is robust, then there is no reason why the game wouldn't become the new WWII sub reference.

And yes, a random campaign 'a la' SH1 would definitely be great, but the ability to have scripts on mission and campaign should not be removed.
BJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For single players:
A more realistic enemy AI.
Like Aces of the Deep, or Silent Service 2, or Silent Hunter 1.
SH2's AI was deeply disappointing.
DDs that didn't attack, or when they did, never missed.
Merchants that would just decide to literally take flight, or stand on end and sink. Etc., Etc., Etc.

If you developers decide to read this, PLEASE do not use the SH2's AI engine/coding.
Just so you know, I'm not completely negative-
Loved everything else about the SH2, especially the boat responding to wave action, starting at dockside, etc.

Happy Hunting !
eweber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: My Input or 2 cents Reply with quote

I dido Dietger's wishes:

The "being there" factor is very appealing to me. I really enjoyed the emmersion quality of "Silent Steel" and would like to see SHIII have that feeling without the linear scripted aspect of that sim.

Being able to virtually walk about sub visiting all the compartments and interacting with the crew is very desirable to me. This should not be too impossible to model what with all the interactive games doing it today. I played "Call of Duty" and was able to run all through the Tirpitz Battle ship.... of course I was just shooting Nazis and not operating it... Cool

It would even be exceptible to me just to throughly model one sub type, say, Type VII and have the user command it throughout the war.

:know: ew
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm for me the 3 key things are Realism, Immersion, and a fully Dynamic non mission linked campaign.

Realism wise i want good inteligent ai that responds properly to the cicumstances and abilities set to the vessel and crew, good ocean effects, subs ships weapons and weapon systems that operate the way they realy did, changing weather and lots of weather types, same for ocean conditions. Good graphics and sounds.

Immersion wise i want the submarine and life aboard it to be as true to life as possible, stuff like being able to walk around the ship inside and out, use the control stations if i so choose or let my crew handle it and report to me, crew interaction, stuff like a working enigma machine which i can use if possible, Recieving orders when i am out to see and sending back reports, or that im returning back to base, a good log book where i can make entries, Realistic war patrols not canned scripted missions", use of all periscopes (navigation and attack scopes) the sub has, great sound effects and atmosphere (depthcharge attacks, the whispers of crew when silent running and avoiding a Destroyer, flooding, lighting etc), a navigation map i can draw and make notes on even a phonograph machine to play records to the crew, or the ability to sit down to lunch. Also stuff like having to return to port, driving the boat into the port, driving the boat out of port, selecting the ship's loadout when in port, ability to dock with subtenders and milk cows for fuel/torps

Campaign wise definatly a fully dynamic random campaign is a must, where you sail in and out of port, missions or patrol areas get assigned as you leave or over the radio, but if you want you can just go out sailing on your own in search of targets. Preferably it would use a navigation map with various degrees of time acceleration but with the option of going back to a 3d world and sailing around in that if you wish. Please please please dont give us another game with a "canned" campaign of linear scripted missions.

Thanks Smile

Oh ya forgot to add that voice recognition and voice commands would be great too Smile

Last edited by NeonSamurai on Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Seeadler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variable, adjustable difficult settings (beginner, advanced, professional, LI), not all potential buyers are hardcore simmer or wants to become one after reading a 450 pages handbook :wink:

A dynamic single player campaing possibly with a career option

Leaving and home coming scenes from the ports, better still interactively playable. Real passage into the operational area and again back (this can be switched off for instant action and/or shortened with time compression)

One quick mission editor für instant scenarios and one for complex missions (graphic editor with maps and symbols such from some flightsim's)

Open for modding. Tools for it integrated, as an addon like the modding tools for "Call of Duty", "Max Payne2" and other actual games or at least the formats of models, graphics, sounds editable with 3rd party tools.
This makes a game popular over the time and requires the consumer to buy the main game to use the mods.

Last edited by Seeadler on Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me have QA control of the subs and how they operate. :wink:

Cool
Frank
TLAM Strike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captured Allied Subs avalable right out of the box.

Difrent interfaces for each boat.

More German U-Boats than SH-2. Some of the more exotic ones like the mine laying Type VII. Playable ofcourse.
Furia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a human controlled DD.
The possibility to play DD vs Sub, both Humman manned, the same way that we play Destroyer Command vs Silent Hunter II.

Otherwise you are creating a nice game for Single Player and even if you can make some MP cooperative games considering we could have SUPERB AI DD, it will never allow Human vs Human thus making it boring after some time.

Human vs Human MP games are what makes Virtual Fleets and Leagues strong and interesting.

Please deliver a DD game to play with this nice new sim.
Maybe you can also consider allowing humans to control a Sunderland or other ASW planes to hunt such subs.
Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DYNAMIC AND RANDOM CAMPAIGN!!!!!

EVEN IF IT HAS ONLY OUTDATED GRAPHICS, PLEASE, A DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN!!!!!!

( See "Aces of the Deep" or "Silent Hunter 1" for more details :wink: )

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Egan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Dynamic Campaign. Please......and Proper dynamic weather to go with it - tied to region and season.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Hitman said. While interactive "talking to the crew" is nice, I would have been happy with SHII if it had had SHI's career system.
Sldghammer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Dynamic campaign

2) Player controlled dd's

3) Good AI

ERT graphics and seas would be nice.
applesthecat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to a dynamic campaign I think there is one element that would give a whole new dimension to the game:

Damage to the enemy:

It's one thing to fire a torpedo, see the ship explode and sink. But imagine the fun of knowing what damage you did. Tell us the story behind the scenes:

How many sailers were killed or injured?
What was the name of the ship?
What part of the ship was crippled? Did she make it back to port after we dived under, or did she meet her fate hours later in the ice cold water of the North Atlantic? If it was an oil tanker, how many tons of crude oil were in her holds? If she survived, how many tons leaked out? If I didn't destroy the ship, did I at least destroy the cargo?

Similarly, tell us what the ship was carrying:

Was it ore, munitions, tanks, or oranges from Mexico? If it was a troop ship, how many troops were on board exactly?
How many survived?
How many didn't make it? Give us a number for our own enjoyment, something to put a notch in our belts. This give the game a 3-D element.

We are not just shooting ships like in an arcade game. The ships are real, with real flesh and blood on board. The ships have names. I want the enemy to have a face. At the end of the patrol I would like to be briefed on what damage I did to the enemy.

(I.E.) In my last patrol, I sank a troop ship, the Bob Marley, but only 234 troops were killed or drowned. The other 571 were rescued by the enemy destroyer Hercules. This time, however, I sank the troop carrier, the Boy George, sailing from Norfolk, VA., on the way to Southhampton and 862 men lost their lives, including 42 officers among them. See how much more interesting the game can become? It takes on a new, more real taste. Just like in real life.

What would it take to add some numbers and names? Nothing. Yet, these are the details that give a sim the power to emerse the player, to suspend disbelief for just a moment, and to duplicate the thrill and horror of modern warfare. It would be a small thing to add, but would have a huge psychological impact!

And if you can not find it within your small programming hearts to give us names and numbers, then give us a dynamic campaign at least and we shall die happy!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: