Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Petition the Developer for a Pacific Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the market for a US sim is really only in the US, and even then only a small niche of that. The Pacific really doesn't have the same allure that the Battle of the Atlantic has.
Seeadler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the dev's create an open/flexible mission and 3D engine design, a pacific- indic- artic- or modern sub warfare scenario based on this game engine is possible as an addon directly from Ubi or from a mod team.

Look at Battlefield 1942, basically created as a WWII game but today we have several full conversion mods based on WWII, Vietnam conflict, modern warfare represented by Desert Combat, Silent Heroes, SIFI combat with StarWars: Galactic Conquest, Homefront and in the near future a WWI mod Battelfield 1918. All these mods have the original equipment from the battles and this is only possible because of the relative open game engine design.
HERR VADER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgotten Hope is a great bf42 mod with nice ships
Torgen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: :( Reply with quote

When I got my SubSim email update about SHIII, I thought "hot damn!"
Then I saw that it was German Uboat again. I can't express the depths of my disappointment. :nope:

Like scrapper, I also passed on SHII because of the scripted missions. I had Silent Service I on the Apple and Silent Service II and Silent Hunter I on the PC. I loved nothing more than going on patrol in my leaky old S boat out of Manila, trying to get to the Japanese invasion point and getting my licks in, or plotting where Shokaku would be after Coral Sea and trying to intercept her. I remember surfacing at night in the middle of a Japanese battleship group in the middle of the Surgao (sp) Straits, and it was so dark that they didn't see me until a Mogami damned near ran me over.

I'm just really really depressed. I find no fun in playing a U boat campaign where you have little to no chance of surviving.

-Torgen

To end this post on an upbeat note. go to www.ratpatrolradio.com and check out the post "Churchill's Parrot" Wink
Leif...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I want it to be a German Uboat simulator. Atlantic war equals great scenarios.
No change there please.

Leif...
Henric Edwards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both campaigns are well worth simulating so I wouldn't mind a Pacific add-on when/if it's clear that Silent Hunter III has done well. Until that I hope the devs will focus on the upcoming title and make it as good (dynamic campaign) as they can.
scrapser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Atlantic vs. Pacific Reply with quote

Just curious about something. One of the excitements in the Pacific is the chance to run into a carrier group. I must admit my knowledge of the Atlantic during this time is not extensive but I really don't remember hearing of any great carrier battles in the Atlantic during WWII. I assumed this was because the European War was mostly a ground war where the Pacific was more islands and ocean if you know what I mean. Therefore, carriers were focused in the Pacific.

In the Atlantic, there were the wolfpacks hunting the convoys and being hunted in return by destroyers and land based ASW aircraft and that was about it (maybe I'm wrong). So, historically speaking, it seems to me the real action was in the Pacific in terms of hitting some flat tops and BB's. The Bismarck had a very short life and the other major big guns were all sunk hiding close to land.

What is the excitement in the Atlantic? Sinking merchant ships and DD's? In the Pacific, I would always pass them up for a chance at a heavy cruiser or bigger. Once in a while, I would run into a big fat convoy with very light defenses and take them out. Just curious.

scrapser
Corto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but a Pacific Szenario is very boring from my point of view.
what is special in this scenario?

:nope:
tokmarkOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's OK for me when the main game will be run PERFECT! Then this will be an add on beside the original scenario.
Torgen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corto wrote:

Something besides the regular DD/DE/FG dance. Stalking a heavy cruiser, battleship or flat top. Lying in wait in the Sunda Straights for an invasion force. Edging into Tokyo Bay for recon or pilot rescue and trying to evade DDs with only 100m under your keel. The hot breezy nights on Diamondhead, a drink in your hand and the sand between your toes as the girl you picked up in Waikiki rests her head on your shoulder, looking at the moon reflecting off the Pacific... er... scratch that last one. Very Happy
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corto wrote:

Well, for one thing you had a decent chance to survive the mission. You got to play with faulty torpedoes. You get to imagine yourself as a great submarine warrior such as Dealy, Morton, O'Kane, and Kossler. You get plenty of shots at major warships. You are fighting for democracy. You get to have an advantage over the enemy such as radar. You can skipper such great subs such as Cavalla, Bowfin, Trigger, and Flasher.

Now, don't tell me the only kind of sub war that interests you is your home country? I thought only Americans were that self-centered :huh:

Smile no hard feelings

Last edited by Neal Stevens on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Torgen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I want to have reason to keep my original two volume set of "Silent Victory" on the computer desk! Nothing like going on a free form dynamic patrol (hint hint) and going "Hmm, May 12th, 1943. Let's see... Ah! Here we go! Shokaku and Ryuho are heading down to strike at the oilfields in Balikipan. I should be able to intercept them.... here!

:know:
Overkill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Pacific really doesn't have the same allure that the Battle of the Atlantic has.

Quote:

You guys think the Japanese made it easy on the US, British and Dutch submarines operating in the Pacific? Those subs were face'n shore batteries while passing through narrow straits, constant anti-subarine air patrols, mines, hunter-killer groups, patol boats, Japanese submarines, etc. etc. Kind'a sounds like what the Germans had to face in the Atlantic don't it (except the Japanese subs, swap them with British submarines Razz )? :wink:

If you don't like the play'n a US sub skipper then maybe they can also add the British and Dutch into the game. I'd really like to play either one of them and see what they did to contribute to the war effort in the Pacific. I'd also like to play a Russian dynamic campain in the North Sea to see what their submariners experienced against the Germans and the harsh enviroment. Even though the Japanese Navy did not use it's submarine force "effectively" it would be interesting to play a dynamic campain from their point of view also. (HINT HINT HINT) :wink:
Leif...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I’m not risking my life for real I like to have the odds against me, hence I like to play on the German side. If I succeed my victory is greater as a failure is expected. If I play for the Allies, my failure is greater since a victory is expected.

So the fact that SH3 are a uboat simulator is good news, if it where an Allied subsimulator then that would be almost as nice, almost.

Leif...
Seeadler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, let the developers make once a U-Boat sim and this time correctly playable and not again a halfrefine cucumber in such way such as SHII. Confused

If this time at the end the game engine works correctly as we like, it is an easier way to do a pacific, indic, mediterranean or what ever scenario as an addon like the med addon for AoD or as a seperate product. But if the developers now open to many working pipelines within this project, we all know from SHII what we get with the release. Surprised
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: