Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

A Truly Dynamic Campaign

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: A Truly Dynamic Campaign Reply with quote

This is the be-all and end-all for prospective U-Boat commanders. Give us a Type II or better yet a Type VIIA at the beginning of the war, and progress over the years to better boats and more challenging missions. Also, let our crews gain experience points as the campaign progresses, a la many ground combat tactical games . Lastly, and this may be the most controversial, give your boat's actions the chance to actually win the war for the Axis. Why play a six-year long campaign if you know you'll still lose in the end? What would be the point of it all?
CB..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye when all said and done..no amount of fancy graphics can take the place of a good solid dynamic campaign..ala Aces of the Deep and so on..can't be that difficult to do..they did it years ago so..may be they can still do it now.. he he!!

note they allso use the term ROBUST for the multiplayer...heres hoping..!! :huh: Joking
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definatly agree with a truly dynamic campaign a la aces of the deep, though i dont quite agree with the idea that a single uboat could change the course of the war, the effect 1 uboat had on how the war went was pretty insignificant, especialy to combat all the mistakes made by the germans, and simply the insufficient population.
Der Teddy Bar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Let me start by saying WOOHOO! Reply with quote

Thomsen,
It is not about winning the war, but winning the battle by surviving. You have to be an old ‘Aces of the Deep’ player to understand the joys of just surviving 3 extra months.

With regards to turning the result of the war, realistically, it would have taken another 50 successful u-boats in 1939 to 1941 periods to have had any long term impact, and possibly turned the Battle of the Atlantic from the resounding defeat that started in 1942.
Terminus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree. The canned mission style of campaign is getting old.

I'm already feeling underwhelmed by this new version.

If they put a Dynamic Campaign for both single player and break new ground by having one for Multiplayer as well, then maybe I might buy it.

Otherwise Ho hum.

Terminus
Lanzfeld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the great thing about the U-boat games is that they start out easy for the captain (The Happy Times) and you progress and it gets much harder and you are very lucky to see the end of the war. Note that this is the opposite of an American sub in the Pacific.

I really don't want the Germans to win the war but I would like to see if I can survive and take 100,000 tons of shipping in the meantime.

Just my thoughts.
mike653

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanzfeld wrote:

I really don't want the Germans to win the war but I would like to see if I can survive and take 100,000 tons of shipping in the meantime.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with Lanzfeld on this one. I don't want to see the Germans to win either. I think the campaign should stay historcally accurate. In my opinion just surviving the war would be victory enough.

I would leave "what if" scenerios to mission builders and modders.

Take care,

Mike
Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is not about winning the war, but winning the battle by surviving. You have to be an old ‘Aces of the Deep’ player to understand the joys of just surviving 3 extra months.

Yep Yep Yep

One of the things that made the U-Boot war so epic was the final phase: The courage to go out and fight when you know it´s already lost, and keep risking your life for your duty. This is one of the things I actually like more of the german spirit.
You can still see this nowadays f.e. when they play soccer or other sports: They can be loosing by far the match, but they run and fight till the last minute like if they still had a chance. This is one of the things that makes that nation so special.
[/quote]
Lanzfeld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....I hope that the developers are reading this because this is what we, the hardcore submarine community, want in a simulator. NO MORE GAMES!
Overkill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keep'n my fingers crossed and hope'n they keep their ears cleaned out so they can hear us loud and clear. If they don't it's gonna go from the $50 new rack to $9.88 Walmart discount rack real fast.
CB..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they put even the most rudimentary dynamic campiagn engine in there ..AND get a reliable multi-player engine going..then it will do as well as can be expected (and probably win new converts which surely is the hope..more converts more sales)
im sure that any reasonable level of graphical performance can be achieved without the need to utilise the more esoteric visual effects...
a good sub interior with animated 3d crew could have been achieved (i'm sure) using the original half life engine..or Quake etc.ancient by to-days standards..surely it's cheaper to develop a good campaign engine then it is to develop a cutting edge graphics engine..(which only remains cutting edge for 6 months anyway)
and so there-fore it should be fully possible to realise a top range subsim without having a lot of folks digging in their wallets for up-grades..
i'm very wary of buying new games these days.
a) because i know i'll need to buy a very expensive new graphics card to be able to play it..
b) the general concensus i hear around the forums on these new game doesn't inspire confidence..the newer combat flight sims for example..folks went out and spent anourmous amounts of money in eager aniticipation of the latest microsoft combat flight sim..only to be largely utterly dissapointed and even angry..
thats not a lesson quickly forgotten..
c) if i do buy expensive new gear for my PC i am highly likely to find i can now longer run the older games (which are my staple diet these days...CAOTD RED BARONII etc) and allso find that the new game ive spent the money for ,is another ,superficail, play once and bin it job..
err no thanks .not likely....(not if i'm being sensible anyway..)
if SH3 has no dynamic campaign..it probably aint getting bought... Joking

i can't be the only one who thinks this way.i dont have the money to buy new computers or have a second PC for older games etc..nor can be bothered to run seperate operating systems etc..
and i believ im a fairly average PC gamer.so there must be a demographic here..
Seehund

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what he said... Yep

We need all that plus a real Mission Editor of at least Kriegstanz Developer quality. And... and...

Deadly ASW Aircraft. Mensch, I could write a book... but you know what I mean. The majority of U-Boat sinkings were due to aircraft.

Mach's gut,
Seehund
Gollard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hitman,

Good post/thread,

What you explained or stated in your post/thread, the will to win and to achieve glory, your rite on there, never give up and never think your loosing, the race of people that I credit for the above is the Chinese, and Vietnamese Very Happy

PS We all have winning instincts some times its hard to bring them out within our selfs, were all human :know:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gollard :wink:

Let me tell you something guys, I have been really deep inside SH2, going with randomness as far as possible, and I have stated that SH2 WAS ALREADY 99% CLOSE TO A REAL DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN, believe it or not!!

Whta has always left me angry is the fact that the most important features where there, and only three stupid minor details that did not work avoided having an "Aces of the Deep" like campaign:

1) The time delayed convoys, as the AI disappeared Sad

2) The unability to call wolfpacks any time ( DC has this enabled by being able to call air support!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad )

3) The imposibility of carrying results from a mission to the other Sad

Now this all is encoded stuff, but if someone had fixed that for me, I could have done it even better than the Aces Kampaigns you all know well.

AND THAT MEANS THAT 100% SURE IT IS NOT TOO DIFFICULT TO IMPLEMENT A REALLY RANDOM AND DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN!!!!!

GIVE THAT TO ME AND I WILL GIVE YOU ACES OF THE DEEP BACK!!!

I know that my work has been largely appreciated here at subsim, so please, developers, believe me when I say that it is not that difficult!!!

A DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN IS POSSIBLE!!!! DO IT!!! PLEASE!!!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Drebbel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main complaint about SHII was that it had no dynamic campaign. I'll bet the SHIII dev team knows that as well and will not make that mistake again. Will donate 100us$ to subsim if SHIII does not inlude a dynamic campaign. Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: