Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Our Input to SH3?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R Hardman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Our Input to SH3? Reply with quote

I played SH1 for years, then waited, and waited until SH2 hit the street. All the while SH2 was in the works we saw screenshots heard beta testers glowing about SH2. I'm sure some members of this community may be involved in Alpha and Beta testing for SH3. Question I have is what can we do to prevent the major problems that SH2 hit the street with, that prior alpha and beta testers may or may not have reported such as the Laser guided DD's, red triangle, lack of nationality flags on all ships, visability, no dynamic campaign etc... On the other side involvment in ensuring the game can tweaked or modded upon in much the same way SH2 was. Additionally it should be flexible enough to have expansion packs much like the patrol disks of SH1 but in this case it could be an "American/Pacific" or "American/Atlantic" expansion set to build upon the already set German U-Boat in SH3 base program. If SH3 is truly to set the standard then the standard should include the ability to be playable for years to come much like SH1 and AOD. Again what can we do as a community?
Overkill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree fully. Allow the game to be random. The mission based games are getting really old. I'm tired of have'n to play the same thing over and over. SH1 got it right. Please don't screw up SH3 with the mission based crap like in SH2.

Also, when are we go'n back to the Pacific?? I want my Balao back!! Yep Expation packs for the Pacific would be great or even a stand alone game (SH4!!).

Software companies are focusing too much on the "sparkle and shine" and do'n a pitiful job on game play (I sure miss MicroProse: HINT, HINT, HINT look at how they made their games). It may have the best graphics in the buisness but if you don't want to play it more than once what's the point in buy'n it.

FOCUS ON REALISM AND GAME PLAY NOT JUST THE GRAPHICS!!
NeonSamurai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw actualy SH2 was not very modable realy other then a few tweeks and graphics stuff, so much of the game was hard coded and utterly ignored or didnt properly use alot of the data files.

hopefully we will have the dev team for SH3 here so we can give them input and help them create a true successor to SH1 Smile
Terminus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Our Input to SH3? Reply with quote

R Hardman wrote:
I played SH1 for years, then waited, and waited until SH2 hit the street. All the while SH2 was in the works we saw screenshots heard beta testers glowing about SH2. I'm

Well, you never heard any 'glowing reports' from THIS SH2 Beta tester! I also tested the original SH and was very impressed with the AI routines. I always hoped they would tweak them for use in SH2, but they didn't and SH2, in my opinion was a disaster because of the poor scripted AI and the canned non-dynamic campaign, which SH had......the whole game seemed to be a giant step backwards. We had to scream loudly for them to even include really basic (bad) AI routines for convoy ships to scatter after an attack!

Personally I can do with less eye candy and more game play. I want good AI and dynamic campaigns and a really good Mission and Campaign Editor included. Screw the 3D if it means most of the budget is going to be spent on a good looking game at the expense of gameplay.

I'm really tired of this push for apppearence over substance. I know it's the popular thing these days, both in games and in society, but I'd like to take a step backwards and go for quality instead. IF they can manage a great playing game that also looks great, well, fine, but priority MUST go to the game and how it plays first!

Bill
Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Yep

I know itīs already a bit outdated, but I would be 99,9999% satisfied by now with an Aces of the Deep with the current SH2 graphics, if they include 1024 and vickers mods.

Thatīs all I would demand for now.....

Letīs wait and see Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all a randomized campaign, pretty much like in SH I, which I STILL play from time to time.
Say it could be made so that you get on the map the news about convoys and enemy vessels plus sometimes radio messages about the enemy.
I think it would be good if we could meet some other Wolpack U Boats. One of many things I disliked in the SH II was fact that in 1942-43 I was still the only one who attacked the convoy. I know there were so few Boats at the beginning of the war, but as the Wolpack tactics was developed there should appear more Boats .

I hope the game will also be more reliable - chceking the damage resulted in Screen blanker, now this was awful .

I think the producers should focus also on the AI of the enemy. Laser guided DD`s was tragic in SH II.
If there was also squid and Hedgehog, well ...

More damage- realism. Didn`t like the fact I was destroyed because HP dropped to 0 % even though the closest hit was about 30 meters, and there was almoust no leaking.
AFAIK you needed much closer explosion to destroy the boat with a single DC explosion. Distant explosion shoudl rather result in leaking and internal damage than loss of HP. So, again, much more like SH I than SH II

Another thing... it would be good ( and still quite close to SH I ) to have opportunity to be active on certain areas. For example we`re commanders of a IX D 2 Boat which results with several mission took on the India Ocean. Or - we`re given a IX C Boat and therefore we`re sent on patrols to areas in which IX C mostly operated.

Campaign and mission Editor would also be good but it`s rather rule.

Advanced AI or an AI that is worth it`s name. I remember having long talk about programming AI and we began to consider SH and all the naval stuff. It seemed scripts for AI mayt be not SO complicated to perform properly and even act as if the scripted thing was intelligent, but it depends strongly on such things as engine and language used for the scripts.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above thoughts. When I first heard of SHII I was only hoping for AOD with new graphics, or SHI for U-boats. instead I got some pretty pictures that wouldn't play and a bunch of missions that wouldn't even let me die, instead being forced to repeat the same day over and over (Groundhog day, anyone?).

Thanks to the people at SubSim I can now change the mission parameters so even if the "campaign" mission is canned, at least I can go on to the next one without repeating.

Things I'd like to see: A dynamic campaign that lets me start any month of the war, a la SHI, with varying times between missions and longer delays if your boat is damaged, like AOD. That lets you die, but start a new captain the same (or the next) month. The boat centers around the control room, like AOD and SHI, with clicking on the various positions (such as the ladder to get to the bridge) to go to those places, like AOD and SHI. It may seem silly, but I'd like to click on the scope and watch it raise, and then be sent to the scope screen, like AOD or SHI. I'd like to have to go to the bridge before I can use the binoculars, like AOD or SHI.

I think I've repeated myself enough to make the point. I agree with what everybody else has said: give us a better sim, not a prettier game.
Rommel McDonald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Input to SH3? Reply with quote

I agree with Bill up there.
Tiercellus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Our Input to SH3? Reply with quote

In AoD, I would often sail my boat down past France and Spain, and park off the Atlantic side of Gibralter.

If SH3 allows me the luxury of pulling this off again, I will be a happy man, because, Lord knows, I sure couldn't with SH2.
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread: http://207.44.164.159/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20885

thanks
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: