Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Imperial U-Flotilla Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, i'm amazed about the reactions over and over again that i encounter everywhere.Thanks man.

Are you from germany ?

Maybe you want to see some extra shots(via PM) ?

Deamon
Nemo66

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: german u-boat addict from bavaria Reply with quote

yessir, i'm from germany. Although i live in munich far away from the ocean, `m a great u-boat fanatic. Maybe because i saw U1 at the german museum as a child... Wink (by the way-how about some interior photos?)
I always have been dreaming of a ww I subsim with prisenkommando -
and you said, strategic concerns will be a major issue ?
Would love to see more pictures - but what is pm?
And till when do you think the first boat will be operable?
Will you be able to do all that stuff alone, with all that details, man? :know:
Loads of questions - viele Grüsse, Oliver
Ausserdem sollten wir mal in unserer muttersprache kommunizieren:

(Edited by Deamon): Don't post your Mail on a forum if you don't want to get spam suddenly, you know there are evil programms that search the net for Mail addresses Wink
Deamon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo66 wrote:
(by the way-how about some interior photos?)

Via Mail

Quote:

I always have been dreaming of a ww I subsim with prisenkommando -
and you said, strategic concerns will be a major issue ?

Yes.Prisenkommando will be an important part of the sim.

Quote:

Would love to see more pictures - but what is pm?

pm = Private messages

Quote:

And till when do you think the first boat will be operable?

Well, to be honestly i wanted to be finished with it the last chrismas Smile But i have never realy expectd that it would run according to the shedule.Unfortunatly i had some serious problems with my health and that throwed me seriously behinde the shedule.But slowly i'm comming back to work.

Great advancements was been made in research matters though and some in 3D modeling. I was also over and over again interrupted by 3D modeling matters and still couldn't work seriously on a sim prototype. But i have started to make myself familiar with the 3D engine and want to start with the gameprototyp this year Bu have to finish some important 3D modeling first.

Quote:

Will you be able to do all that stuff alone, with all that details, man? :know:

No Smile I have big dreams like everyone and the list that i have posted portrays the final goal but i will have to achiev it step by step.So it will take me several releases to get there.I will pull together enough to make the first releas worth the money and then let it hit the water.Maybe the first releas will be a kinde of war virtual sailor that plays in the pre war timeframe and focuses on a very comprehensive training campaign and if i would add a war kampaign than it will plays maybe only in the east sea but i'm not sure at the moment how mutch i should put in to the first releas.I wouldn't like to put the controll over my project under a publisher and want to stay independant at all costs.

So i have to see how i have to gather the bucks to be able to hire a small dev team. Maybe i will be able to finde some intusiast who would be willing to contribute efforts for free and get paid later when it's released.That would be the best option.

But first i will focus to make some most ditailed U-Boats ever made and make a game prototype with one or more full functional U-Boats with full 3D interiours.This will be in fact the focus for the first releas.Big efforts will flow in to the modeling of the driveable U-Boats in any regards.So you will need a very brief training to be able to operate it. Think of it like a Falcon 4 just with an U-Boat.

Quote:

Loads of questions - viele Grüsse, Oliver

Ok, check your mail for further informations. I have some surprizes of course. Wink

If you live in München than you could also help out in some regards if you like.

regards
Deamon
Bertgang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Deamon,
as I can see by posts in SHIII forum the interest for a WWI subsim is growing; lot of potential customers for you, now.

The unwanted side of the thing is that, soon or later, some software house will follow your idea: be ready for final rush.
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertgang wrote:
Hey, Deamon,
as I can see by posts in SHIII forum

Do you mean the SHIII forum on subsim.com ?

Quote:

the interest for a WWI subsim is growing;

I have kinda expected that. But wasn't so mutch confident about it so far, since WWI subs is a still very unexplored area in sims, that the major part of the subsimers are unaware of, i think. It's strange, since i wasn't familiar with this area, i never had a big interest in WWI subs. Just some curiousity as i i'v started to think about it once, while playing WWII subsims and studing this subject, how it might have bin in WWI ?

That was a good question. I thought it must have been a big deal different then WWII. My curiosity started to grow. I also noticed that there were a hell of alot WWII u-boat books in book stores but almost nothing about WWI u-boats, what have leaded me later to the conclusion that research would be a serious problem. Later that conclusion proved to be more or less right.

Anyway, started once to learn programming and wanted to realize my dream to become an indi gamedeveloper. Decided to do a cold war subsim but the desteny or somthing else wanted me to make a WWI subsim. So i ended up with a WWI project faster then i liked it to happen:lol:

I had a hell of alot of luck during the research phase and still have, so that i was able to overcome the research obstacle sufficiently enough to be able to recreat decently WWI u-boat technology and many ditails. What finaly allowed me to do all this. Unfortunately many documentations will remain in the dark of the past.

Anyway, as i found many informations about the subject , i quickly realized that this is a treasure, in technical/historical terms as well as in game play terms, waiting to be discovered.

I see the very positive reactions on my models. Might they have contributet to the growing interest ?

Quote:

lot of potential customers for you, now.

Can you point me at specific threads ?

Quote:

The unwanted side of the thing is that, soon or later, some software house will follow your idea: be ready for final rush.

I also think it's just a question of time but i'm also very curious about how they want to overcome the research difficulties. :pirate:

Anyway thank you to point me at it.

Deamon
Bertgang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought came from ubi forum http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=frm&s=400102&f=857101043&p=1

There I found several posts about a possible WWI subsim; some of them are related to a specific WWI topic; but the same interest is shown by several questions and answers dispersed under other titles.

Even some people not specifically interested in WWI subs seems interested in WWI tactics, Lothar de La Perriere style: no reason to be more accurate in my description, as you surely know the matter better than me.

Maybe you could have also success in something missed by SHIII: lifeboats with survivors at sea, as requested by lot of people.
Not so interesting in a WWII simulation, on my point of wiew, but really a plus for a WWI one, if your subs will be able to stop unarmed merchants.
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertgang wrote:
My thought came from ubi forum http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&a=frm&s=400102&f=857101043&p=1

There I found several posts about a possible WWI subsim; some of them are related to a specific WWI topic; but the same interest is shown by several questions and answers dispersed under other titles.

Thanks will take a look at it.

Quote:

Maybe you could have also success in something missed by SHIII: lifeboats with survivors at sea, as requested by lot of people.
Not so interesting in a WWII simulation, on my point of wiew, but really a plus for a WWI one, if your subs will be able to stop unarmed merchants.

Well, life boats are quite at the top of my priority list. It's not just a plus for a WWI subsim but i think it's very essential, couse most of the time did the u-boats, in WWI, stoped the ships surfaced and the captain of the ship had to come by in a life boat and showing his papers. I will take great care to recreate the proper tactics and laws of the war to that you have to obey, aka "Priesenordnung". Only at the end of the war did GB introduced the long demanded convoy system as germany have started an unrestricted u-boat kampaign against england and USA, as USA declared war to germany and due to the unrestricted campaign the losses grown dramaticaly and that was what finaly forced GB to introduce the convoy system and it prooved to be effective.

I guess you are also interested in a WWI subsim ?

Deamon
Bertgang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I was really interested even before your last answer, and now I'm interested much more, if possible.

What you said about the Priesenordnung and related tactics isn't totally new for me: it's because these kind of things I'm fascinated by WWI subs (and surface raiders).

Really happy to know your approach to the matter.
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you like the idea of interiours modeled fully in 3D ?

Deamon
Bertgang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My istinctive answer should be "yes, how could I dislike 3D interiors?" but, in fact, I'm uncertain about that.

If you make fully 3D interiors, then my further request should be: "fully animated 3D crew with free mouvement inside" as such interiors can't be empty, but realistic sailors aren't easy to do.

If you are able to make that in the best way, that's excellent.
On my point of wiew, anyway, better to save time and resources for other sides of the sim; well done 2D wiews should be enough, for me, if the game system rocks.
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertgang wrote:
My istinctive answer should be "yes, how could I dislike 3D interiors?" but, in fact, I'm uncertain about that.

If you make fully 3D interiors, then my further request should be: "fully animated 3D crew with free mouvement inside" as such interiors can't be empty, but realistic sailors aren't easy to do.

Yes, i'm aware of that. By doing full 3D interiour an animated crew shouldn't missing. It's a part of the 3D interiour so to say. I'm definately going to add the full crew. I just don't know how far i will be able to go with the animations and the overall quality of the crew. But i will have to allow some sort of free movement for the crew inside the boat and on the deck/bridge since it's not just for immersion purpuoses but it's also neccessery for curtain emegency manouvers.

I consider to make the crew in good quality as a very work intens task. It's a project within the project, i think. Of course i don't want to work for 20 years before i will releas the first build Laughing It will be a long term development for me and i think to releas at least one interim version before i reach a major releas(what will take surely a very long time). It depends also, of course, wheather i will be able to gather a resonable team couse currently most of the work lays still on my shoulders. So currently i can only concentrate on the major parts of the sim. But i'm sure that what i will accomplish will be worth playing. I can give you some extra tasting if you like. Check your PM.

Quote:

If you are able to make that in the best way, that's excellent.
On my point of wiew, anyway, better to save time and resources for other sides of the sim; well done 2D wiews should be enough, for me, if the game system rocks.

3D interiours IS the central idea of this whole project. Heck, i need to give you a tasting of what i mean and what i'm so possesed of :8Cool So you will better understand what this project is about. Check your PM Wink

This IS what will rock so mutch in my sim! And i think sutch a recreation was been nevers seen befor. Especialy becouse this is a recreation of a WWI sub interiour, what is a hell of harder to research. So the progress on this front was rather slow but good.

At all, the simulation of the whole boat , crew, authentic and ditailed handling procceedures(speeches also) that was already been successfully researched. Now everything is waiting to be implemented. The boat with everything that belongs to it is the focus of the first(interim) releas.

There are some very few games that suck you in to them and let you believe to be in there and after playing it for a few hours, when you shut of the game, you need an hour or so to finde your self back in the reality again Smile and THIS is the true focuse of the interim releas. Obviously a good crew implementation is part of it. I will see what i can do about it. Man i'm excited again, check your PM.

regards
Deamon

Last edited by Deamon on Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Dust

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deamon wrote:
Man i'm excited again, check your PM.
Deamon

i want to see it too please Ping
TwistedFemur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program do you use to model the subs?
Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwistedFemur wrote:
What program do you use to model the subs?

Why ?

Do you model too ?

Deamon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small update from the 3d department.
Don't expect me post here all the models i make.
This model is kinda special to me since its my first contribution on to the project.
I feel that I need to tweak some very little things to look it right.
In a later stage there will be rescue boats added and flags.

tech data.
5.221 polygons
3.493 vertices
3x1024/1024 maps
and sepparated alphas and lightmaps.
Hope you like it.
Very Happy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: