Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Imperial U-Flotilla Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
SSSSHHHWWEEETTT! Nicely done is an understatement. I have read "Raiders of the Deep" more times than I can count. Somehair raising moments that it would be great to see reproduced. And from the looks of things, you are well on the way.

Raiders of the Deep ? never heared of it.About what in particular is it ? Is it a novel ?

Anyway i also read lots of very old books from that time about the subwar.Basical warstorys mostly from german WWI sub commanders and since than i total fall in love with it.This time have a realy unique and special unexplored ambience and an unique immersion.And yes thous hair raising moments,i know what you mean Very Happy.My development is very inspired from them and i let lead my self from that old spirit during the development.

Deamon
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders of the Deep, written in 27 and 28, and published in 28 is just about the only researched book about the Uboats in WWI. It is based on scores of interviews and each section is written from the point of view of that particular Uboat Captain, 1st Officer or the like that was interviewed. There is an excellent look at Otto Weddigen and many other personages from that era. There are a few accompanying photos, but it is the outstanding collection of true stories that really grip you. What Uboat Captain would have the daring to dive beneath a huge sinking battleship in order to manuever for a shot on another ship? This book is a must have for any afficianado of submarines in general and Uboats in specific. It was the submarine come of age when huge battleships were sent to the bottom from this "advanced" weapon of war that most of the Naval hierarchy laughed off. No one laughed for long. Especially after the havoc wreaked in the Med.

Here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1557507228/qid=1075859888/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-5297825-7323266?v=glance&s=books

and:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1904381030/qid=1075859888/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-5297825-7323266?v=glance&s=books
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that fantastic book.......it is awesome to read on a damp, cold dreary day! Very Happy

Cool
Frank
Deamon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
Raiders of the Deep, written in 27 and 28, and published in 28

Hey wait a minute just browsed your links and realized that i have the german translation of it.Yes this book keeps you up at night. Smile

Quote:

is just about the only researched book about the Uboats in WWI.

Is it realy the only english book about WWI U-Boats ? If so than i feel sorry for you guys,couse we have dozens of equal titles flying around here in germany.All writen in that time frame mostly from sub Captains and the one is better then the other Smile Smile Smile

I just counted my lib and i have around 11 of them.Can you imagine how lucky i am ? Smile

That books are full of all kinde of insights and is my main source and inspiration for my project.

regards

Deamon
Eaj13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Available free as ebook, diary of a german WWI Uboat commander

http://www.gutenberg.net/browse/BIBREC/BR7947.HTM

enjoy

Alex
Deamon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Alex what a great discovery.Very interesting to read.

Deamon
Eaj13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deamon

About the book "Wir an den Maschinen" from a WWI Chief Engineer in UB and SM Uboats:

The book gives a basical explanation about how a Uboat works and LI tasks and is focused in the submarine missions in which he participated. Not a real technical book.
As WWIUBoat stuff for reading is interesting. Some few photos in the 1940 edition.

regards
Alex
Deamon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaj13 wrote:
Hi Deamon
The book gives a basical explanation about how a Uboat works and LI tasks and is focused in the submarine missions in which he participated.

Descriptions of any procedure is important as well.LI tasks ? That sounds interesting.Did you alreday finished it ?

In the books that i have readed so fare that focuses on Patrols,i could finde a planty of technical descriptions,procedures and commandforms(was very different from the WWII one).So i think sutch books are still very valuable as a technical resource,especialy reports about all kinde of technical failures that occure during the patrol.I must say that realy have broadened my understanding.Not only technical failures but i learned how mutch damage heavy seas can cause to the sub as well,also an important aspect to simulate.

Deamon
Eaj13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deamon

I have start reading it. You can find some infos on concrete technical problems they had in patrols due to heavy depth charges, ramming, etc. (some of them really hard) and the way the LI solved them.
regards
Alex
Deamon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This interests me in particular.I have made a habit to write sutch key informations down while i'm reading the books.

Deamon
Eaj13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can collect these technical texts and post them
Alex
Kpt Lothar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deamon!

Look what Unkel Lothar brings You today:
http://www.gwpda.org/

I bet You already have it.
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Unkle Joking I hope you are not disapointed if i say you that that was one of the first sites i found as i started my resurch :wink: Thanks anaway

But your other linkt that you posted on the indie forum is plain ******* greate Smile

Deamon
Kpt Lothar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnnn. I knew it. From this time on whenever I find ww1 link, i wont publish it. Razz Joking
Deamon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooooooo publish them Joking Joking Joking
Deamon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Imperial U-Flotilla 1914-1918 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: