Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Computer Buying
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Computer Buying Reply with quote

Besides the usual suspects, does anybody know any good websites to buy a computer from in the USA?

PD
mog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people on another forum I frequent swear by http://www.newegg.com
lesrae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you want it for, in the UK I always point people at Dell if it's just for a routine wp/internet machine. Their prices are very competitive over here, although I don't know if the same applies in the USA. www.dell.com
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I want a computer that can run SH3 that costs circa $800. Right now I'm thinking of the Dell E510 3.0 Ghz hyperthreading, 1 gig of RAM, and an Nvidia 6600GT. I know it's not top of the line, but it seems pretty well priced to me for an all in one package.

PD
scandium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeriscopeDepth wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

I want a computer that can run SH3 that costs circa $800. Right now I'm thinking of the Dell E510 3.0 Ghz hyperthreading, 1 gig of RAM, and an Nvidia 6600GT. I know it's not top of the line, but it seems pretty well priced to me for an all in one package.

PD

If gaming is your goal then I would go AMD Athlon64 over Intel. Far more bang for the buck. Also an Nvidia 6600 GT is a mistake for two reasons: #1 is that its pretty well obsolete already and there are much faster video cards in the same price range (such as the Nvidia 6800 GS); #2 is that in a machine like a Dell the video is probably going to be integrated directly into the motherboard, and thus not upgradeable without replacing the system. So #2 compounds #1 by making the entire system obsolete before you even buy it, and this makes it a poor choice for gaming.

On the plus side you're in the right ballpark on the RAM (I wouldn't go less than 1 GB today).

My recommendation for playing SH3 with a good framerate, on the cheap, and with an eye to the future would be:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ or faster CPU

NVidia 6800 GS 256 MB PCI Express Video card or faster (ATI equivalent is good too, main thing being that its PCIe and thus upgradeable, and not an integrated solution)

1 GB, or more, of DDR400 RAM

The rest of the system is gravy but CPU, Video (especially Video), and RAM are the heart and soul that define the gaming experience and the system's longevity.
SmokinTep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the parts from newegg and build one. With a Dell, you won't be able to upgrade.

I build one 2 1/2 years ago for $1200.
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athlon64 3200 $152
Patriot 1GB PC3200 CAS2 $64
Asus A8N-SLI $106
BFG 7900GT $329
BFG 7600GT $212
XFX 6800XT $99
Neal Stevens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gateway, I have bought three of them since 1998. Very happy. Thumbs Up

http://gateway.com/index.shtml

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is Tigerdirect.com

Did my last build (Aquarius) through them and didn't have any problems at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

It seems to have come down between the Gateway DX300 and Dell XPS 400. Leaning towards the Dell because I can order it with an Nvidia 6800 and it has a 19 inch flat panel rather than a 17.

PD
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if anybody has anything to say about the 256mb Nvidia 6800(vanilla, no GS or GT). It seems to me to be an adequate card for my purposes, but I don't know much about vid cards. So...BUMP!

PD
scandium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeriscopeDepth wrote:
Wondering if anybody has anything to say about the 256mb Nvidia 6800(vanilla, no GS or GT). It seems to me to be an adequate card for my purposes, but I don't know much about vid cards. So...BUMP!

PD

The 6800 Vanilla is a bit slower than the GS but still faster than the 6600 GT. Its a decent card and faster than the 6800 LE (the "Lite Edition" of the 6800); I would certainly consider it, provided that its an upgradable PCIe discrete graphics card and not somehow integrated into the computer's motherboard.
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the rapid advance of technology, i usually wind up buying a relatively inexpensive eMachines computer...

that way i can 'turn em over' without taking too much of a hit in the pocket, as the tech advances... so far they've been great performers for what i need em to do, and i've had little to no problems with em...

my server is an old 733mHz eMachines that has been running 24/7 for years now...

--Mike
JSLTIGER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by my eMachines laptop (from which I write most of my posts), but I don't think that I'd buy an eMachines desktop, not when I can build my own. Either way, I don't think that eMachines deserves the bad rap that it gets. Since Gateway took over, their machines offer what is potentially the best bang for the buck on the market, and they are extremely reliable.

Most of my friends with Dells have had multiple headaches with their machines: messed up screens, dead hard drives, bad drivers, etc. Never had a single problem with my eMachines laptop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PeriscopeDepth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a PCIe x16 card, so I assume it's removable.

As for Dells in general, I've owned a Dell laptop for 3 years and haven't had a single problem. I have nothing against eMachines either, my first gaming machine was a 1ghz eMachines. It served me well and for a looong time. I just prefer Dell because they offer far more customization (is that a word?) on their website.

PD
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: