Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Firing torpedoes?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Firing torpedoes? Reply with quote

Is there a standard range to when to fire torpedoes? I tend to fire mine at or around 10000 yards or less or if playing with the Kilo at or around 9000 meters. I remember watching a movie and they got as close as 1500 yards. Any thought on this? Thanks.
Wildcat

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should fire your torpedos whenever you have a good solution on your target and you know that it will either not run from your torpedo (best case) or it will run but cannot outrun your torpedo's maximum range (worst case).

For a KILO you will need to be within about 5km of a warship if you want a sure kill. 1500 is too close. For adcaps the torpedos have a range of about 40km? KM or miles, I can't remember. Anyway, divide that by two to get a rough estimation of how far away you can fire at a target that will run from your torpedo.
Kapitan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65cm and MK48ADCAPS have a range of 27nm in game roughly so you want to be firing about 10 to 15 miles away from target that means should your target try to out run the torpedo it will still have fuel to give chase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Firing torpedoes? Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Is there a standard range to when to fire torpedoes?

Not really. You should shoot when you think you can hit your target. You should also always shoot back, although people disagree with me on this point. I think they're wrong. Shoot back for no other reason than to hopefully kill the other guy by inflicting upon him a deadly heart attack. I WILL NOT GO QUIETLY!

Quote:

I tend to fire mine at or around 10000 yards or less or if playing with the Kilo at or around 9000 meters. I remember watching a movie and they got as close as 1500 yards. Any thought on this? Thanks.

Which movie?

The closer your target is, the less time it takes for your torpedoes to get to your target. That means that when your target attempts to run after detecting your launch, he will most likely be closer to the point you think he's at because he has less time to run. Depending on how far away your target is, he might be outside of your torpedo's search width. In that way, closer in makes evasion more difficult or even impossible. Of course.. this can be counter balaced by shooting more torpedoes, but only to a point. For example, to sink a large warship in DW, you will need to score a few hits. Also, you can end up running out of torpedoes pretty quick if you shoot maximum salvos constantly.

The more I think about torpedo tactics, the more things I can play with, regarding ways to stack the odds in my favor, and come up with tactics useful in different situations, which I can keep in the back of my head.
Deathblow

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread may be helpful to you....

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=435470#435470

Basically, if firing a mk48, a range of around 12nm is usually good for a surface target, 10nm for a typical 30+ knot SSN. Those ranges will ensure that your torps will not be outrun... the targets can, however, still evade the torps laterally at most ranges, so torp wire guidance is a huge boost.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: