Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

GW and fatigue

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dean_acheson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: GW and fatigue Reply with quote

Is there anyway to turn off the fatigue on GW when you have the Time Compression turned up?
thanks
Heibges

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the 3D render to the value you want Fatigue to occur in the CFG. This is easiest using SH3 Commander. If not, you can edit the file using Notepad.
dean_acheson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! if you set it to 0, is it totally off?

maybe I am a whimp, but I hate messing with the crew rotations. i like to be able to leave my time comp. on 128 and walk away from my computer to do other things....
ref

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean_acheson wrote:
Thanks! if you set it to 0, is it totally off?

maybe I am a whimp, but I hate messing with the crew rotations. i like to be able to leave my time comp. on 128 and walk away from my computer to do other things....

If you wat to turn it off just do it from sh3 commander, you don't need to change the TC settings.

Ref
JScones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't set 3DRender to 0 (or 1). It does much more than just determine fatigue cutoff. It primarily determines at what TC 3D effects stop.

Setting 3DRender to 0 or 1 will most likely cause game problems. Do what ref says. Much easier. Or set all the FATIGUE_COEF values in Basic.cfg to 0.
hocking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel ashamed about turning the fatigue modeling off. It is totally unrealistic. Nothing against all the modders out there who developed various fatigue models, but they are chasing their tails trying to model something that is nearly impossible to model.

UBoat crews definitely tired, and performance of the crew would have definitely declined over time, but you would have never seen entire areas of operation on the sub come to a complete stop because of tired crewman. This is another area where modders have made things more unrealistic while tyring to make things more realistic.

The best fatigue model would be a model that indicates which crewman are tired so you know who needs rest. In areas of operation with tired crewman working in them, you would start to see a decline in operating efficiencies (use more gas if tired crewman in the engine room, takes longer to load a torpedo if tired creman in the torpedo room, ect....). That is it, nothing more. Right now, an entire area shuts completely down when the crewman are tired. Just entirely unrealstic, and you are playing with more realism when you turn those fatigue models OFF!
Uber Gruber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to comment here because I can sense a flame war approaching....that said, I agree somewhat with the sentiments. I've tried most fatigue systems from RuB to NYGM Crew Management and I have to say that the need to click on men and move them around just doesn't seduce me.

Ideally, one would create watches, set the rotation watch cycle and then leave the game engine to change watches at the end of each cycle automatically through out the patrol. The efficiency of the boat, and henc the watches, would vary depending on the following rules:

1) Efficiency would deteriorate during long periods of submersion and start to improve once the boat had surfaced (fresh air, cigarette break, perhapps a drag wash).

2 )Efficiency would also deteriorate during periods of enemy engagement due to battle stress, slowly improving once enemy engagement broken off.

3) Again, efficiency would deteriorate whilst surfaced during very bad weather, improving slighly when submerged to avoid worst effects of bad weather. Balancing this with point 1 above would be interesting.

4) The maximum efficiency of each watch would reduce over the period of their watch to cater for general fatigue.

5) Finally, maximum efficiency would slowly reduce over the duration of the patrol (depending on the type of boat) as natural wear 'n tear and morale took its toll.

I'm not a modder and i'm not sure the above could be moddeled, at least not dynamically. Perhapps one way of simulating this would be to save game after every 5 patrol days and/or major enemy engagement and then running a utility, such as SH3 Commander, to modify efficiency maximums and burn rates which would then take effect once the saved game was reloaded.

But like I said, i'm not a modder unfortunately so all I can do is post and hope.

Confused
gouldjg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why some of us use crew management mods is the fact that they also contribute to the damage modeling and performance of the sub.

Ok the rooms completely shutting off because of not enough crew is somewhat stupid but that is about it as far as faults are concerned.

I suppose it is each to their own and respect peoples choices in a way.

For me it is completely opposite, the no crew management debate makes the uber repairs constant so is somewhat making much of the gameplay redundant. That is why we sometimes get the "I dont take enough damage" or "My flooding stopped after 2 seconds" that is because you always have super fit men whom make quicker repairs. (gameplay is what it is all about)

When the crew tire, the repairs take longer and performance does decrease in engine torpedo loading etc etc. I would rather benefit from more intence gameplay at the expense of a couple of minor annoyances.

I personally use 24hr system as it is flexible but would just as easy rather use RUB, NYGM, 8hr etc etc. No Damage and stock damage are just plain no no's and thrill killers.

I will not babysit my crew to the patrol point if I was going from kiel to America, but once in enemy waters and close to my hunting grounds , I will then use those systems and just plot the change spots on the map so I know when they need changing.

If I get caught in combat halfway to the next changeover then things get interesting (gameplay wise).

The crew managemnt is so limited yet so vital as far as I am concerned, I just fail to see the No crew model debate.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 24-hour hollywood, but since I got tired of the engines stopping after 3-hours of bad weather I set the 3D Render to 1048, so at extreme time compression for very long patrols the fatigue shuts off. I then usually don't go past 512, and submerge a lot during storms.

As was said earlier, if you don't want fatigue at all just use SHIII Commander to shut it off.
gouldjg

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey steve, I noticed that storm 3 hr, I was hoping it was a little longer so will adjust the setting in a new version I am cooking up.
Sailor Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Five would be good enough for me, as I don't mind changing them all every four hours. It's fun to try to keep them all working in a type II.
jaxa

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at my first patrol using GW 1.1 and default GW 8 hours fatigue. This is 7th day of my patrol and my crewmen in conning tower and engine room (still at service) have 3/4 of their endurance bars. In stock SHIII they should be fatigued earlier, if I remember correctly.
Before GW I've played RUb and RUb's fatigue system was good for me (first time I didn't like it).
Could you simply explain me what does it mean "8 hours fatigue system" in GW? I've thought that after 8 hours my crewmen at engines or torpedo rooms are completely fatigued and need rest.
When will they fatigued - after week or two? It doesn't look realistic for me, may be I'm wrong.
Besides this (and power of torpedoes) GW is fantastic Thumbs Up
PS. I use TCx256 max for cruising and usually stop to normal time every three hours for looking around ship and listening hydrophone signals.

Last edited by jaxa on Tue May 02, 2006 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
U-Bones

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering...
Has anyone ever made crew default status "very very tired" ie - very slow and inefficient for repairing...
AND
no recovery, no tiring, no change
AND
lower the operational requirement of the compartments so they dont shut down unless slots are empty.

Seems like this approach may allow non instant repairs without requiring crew micromanagment - but that may be fatal given the crappy damage models. Just thinking out loud...

Sad how many of the non-graphical portions of this game are a giant leap backwards from SH1, damage control in particular.
jaxa

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know what I wanted - I've looked at forum and found it.
SH3Commander helps me again Thumbs Up
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: