Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Some questions about ship modelling

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Props

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Some questions about ship modelling Reply with quote

Hey all!

After a couple days (...) of work I finally managed to complete my model of the british Abdiel-Class fast minelayer and to import it - thanks to Sansals Pack3D and the informations I found here - into SH3. Up to now I didn't have the time for extensive tests, but as far as I can tell (and yes, I try to be impartial) it looks good and works quite fine. But there are still some bugs I would like to fix and some points that should be changed. To do his I have some questions and hope someone here can enlighten me:

1. Is it possible to change the parent IDs iof single 3D-objects inside a units .dat-file, for example to move the flag-node from one mast to another or the A0X nodes from the units xxx_B to xxx_F?

2. I have read, that it is possible to add nodes or objects, like an additional funnel. How can you do this?

3. Is it possible to change the names of the embedded .tga-files after cloning a units .dat-file? (I encountered a problem with the textures of either the parent or the newly created unit during a single mission created by mission editor: one of the units tended to use the wrong texture which looked funny, but wasn't...)

4. How can you change the position of the bow wave after editing the hull or creating a new one from scratch? If I am correct it depends, just like the positions of the vulnerable areas on the .zon-files which can only be modified by hex editing.

For all these questions (maybe without point 4 as it seems to me it can only be done by hex editing) I would really appreciate if anybody can tell me, if (and maybe how) it is possible to

a) do them without hex editing (because I really don't have any experience with that kind of stuff) and if not,

b) can it be done by hex editing in a way, even an unexperienced amateur (and I really mean this) like me can do it?

Thanks in advance
Props

Oh, before I forget it: here are some pics (one of them showing some points I want to change)

Boris

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking ship. Thumbs Up

To change the ship description have you tried editing NDD_Type34_ge and NDD_Type34_en files in the ship folder?

Other than that i know little of ship building. I would love to have a step-by-step guide for making ships, as I want to get into it.
sergbuto

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this work for U-Boat: Battle in the Mediterranean by X1 software (early name Seawolves: Mediterranean) or you are going release this ship for free?
Props

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Boris

Not yet. I thought it would just be for the museum and not affecting the unit in-game, so I just didn't take the time to do it yet.
But anyway, thanks for the tip.
If you want to build your own ships, maybe you should just try it. If you use Sansals Pack3D you can open the .dat-files and extract the objects, which you can use to practice with a 3D modelling program of your choice (I think many people here use Wings3D). At least, thats how I began...

@sergbuto

No, it is not for any mod or mod-compilation, as I am not part of any of those how ever you want to call that "groups" (like X1). I am just a single player, who spent a lot of time in this forum and after downloading many of the ships that were created by players I wanted to try it by myself. So yes, I plan to release it for free. But I hope that I can fix the points I mentioned before.

Props
AG124

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you PM'd UBOAT234? He knows how to add extra node points, including smoke.

Have you fixed the zones and damage model? You may want to ask DerTeddyBar about that, as he knows about those areas.

As for the flag, I would switch the 3d models of each mast using your 3d editing program, and then switch their positions using Pack3d. You may be able to move the flag on its own though - I've never tried it. :hmm: However, since the current forward mast is much larger than the aft one, it may create another problem with the damage file.
sergbuto

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props wrote:
@sergbuto

No, it is not for any mod or mod-compilation, as I am not part of any of those how ever you want to call that "groups" (like X1). I am just a single player, who spent a lot of time in this forum and after downloading many of the ships that were created by players I wanted to try it by myself. So yes, I plan to release it for free. But I hope that I can fix the points I mentioned before.

Props

I asked this question because people from X1 software come to this forum using new nicks (which have very few posts and no info in the member-profile) to ask detailed questions about how-to-do-some-particular-thing, to pick up the knowledge, the mods, and ideas and then sell the stuff.

Anyhow, you can change the bow wave position and .tga names using Pack3D. As for the rest, I am afraid it requires hex-editing. The worst thing you need to adjust damage zones in the ZON file, as AG124 mentioned.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> SH3 Mods Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: