Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Multi-player "idiosyncrasies"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Multi-player "idiosyncrasies" Reply with quote

Had a coupla strange things happen in multi that i thouhgt i should share.
For the most part, I consider them to be the kind of things that are simply a part of internet gameplay.

in one case my mk 48 locked on to a russian torpedo, hit it,and "sank it" !
it showed up as a dead platform on my map for a few minutes and as a kill on my scoreboard. verified in replay. no idea what happened - but in general i initially expected acoustic torps to lock on to other torps alot more anyway. have not been able to reproduce said occurrence.

next torp oddity - fired a klub at a "player1" who was also under attack from "player 2". my torp landed very close to my tma and was clearly tracking sumthing but i heard an explosion - saw dead sub on my map realizing player 2 had sunk player 1, i went back to sonar station to check on another contact. no more than 10 seconds later i heard another explosion on "master2" flipped to map screen saw my torp was gone and patted myself on the back for at least having placed my missile "spot on" (assumed i hit cm) despite another player geting kill. heres the thing, somehow, on my results screen at least , it showed ME as having sunk player 1. thankfully i saw the dead platform b4 my torp exploded knew dang well this another players kill and it was not a stat match of any kind. lotsa frikkin argument potential in that rarity. in replay my torp clearly hit the already dead sub . very rare for torp to hit a dead platform in dw - they seem to be progged to suddenly go magical and pass thru.
again, no idea what happened. will not bother trying to reproduce said occurrence.

next "oddity" turned out to be nothing at all. a player was complaining heavily that sumthing funny was goin on and he was takin names and numbers gonna put the replay under a microscope and send it to all his buddies and he was gonna expose this to the WORLD by gum ! this all because his towed array was washing out "too soon" in his opinion. after putting everyone VERY ill at ease and kinda making them answer to his "find the cheater" detective crap for some 30 min during the game, said knucklehead suddenly realized he had been looking at his hull array the entire time - o gee OOPS .
yeah i got an oops for ya right here buddyboy. Mad

last oddity is real and unfortunately not conjecture.
unnamed player has been hosting mission that i presume he is writing. having played 2 or 3 of these incoming missions and seeing that several people calmly and PRIVATELY concurred (as did i) that "sumthing funny WAS goin on" the host and/or his teammate seemed to sink other players ridiculously quickly. so someone decided to open the mission and have a look. i then opened it in the editor as well to simply confirm what another player was telling me. turned out there was a number of contact triggers with attack scripts written in for the sub the host had chosen and for whomever ended up being his fortuitous but unwitting accomplice sub. basically the instant the host/unwitting teammate got a specific contact on sonar there sub auto fired missile torps sinking the contact more or less immediately. Confused

mets game starts soon Thumbs Up

L8R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW occasionally messes up the credit given on the Status screen in situations where two weapons were locked on a target, credit is sometimes removed for the first player and given to the second.

I cannot explain the other anomalies.

As for the map with the contact triggers, maybe you need to restrict your games to maps distributed on subguru or CADC. Or we need to start a blacklist, because that is seriously not cool.
Bellman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd like to add my take.
First its very bad form to carp during a game about cheating and I doubt I'd dive again with anyone who did.

Secondly, more importantly, Pal is correct to draw our attention to the fact that there are hosts out there
on Gamespy putting up some very dubious scenarios.

My judgement is that there are three (at least) cheating procedures:-
(1) Scripts setting traps etc ''Something funny going on !!''
(2) Host plus accomplice/s set up a patsy. Egs. FFG static behind hilly island plus 2 helis and false ally sub.
(3) The Hosts scenario makes no fist at randomness and the starting positions are known and shared with accomplices.

One also suspects, although not cheating per se, that some hosts are field testing and developing scenarios.
In all cases the experience for those joining such games the pleasure is curtailed.

The evidence is there with the alarmingly increasingly frequency of hosts prematurely terminating games,
leaving you Replayless and without any evidence. If open play deteriorates further players will insulate
themselves into Fleets and tight cabals of 'known and trusted' sporting players.

Perhaps this will be a just reward as the 'benders' will be left only with a diet of newbies or playing by
(nearly said with) themselves. Infantile behaviour !
SKeeM

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this all real disturbing. 1 of the reasons that I moved closer to DW and away from games like BF2 was the level of intelect among the players. As we all know all games can be hacked one way or another, or exploited. But in the past 14 months that I have played DW I have come to a point of unpresident respect for the players of this game. Never would I have thought that any player of this game would cheat at all. It takes so much time to learn this game and the real world tactics you need to imploy to be successfull in this game. Sometimes you do all the rite things and still lose. Just because the other guy did his job better. But to lose because the other guy cheated? Thats just BS! These guys need to be weeded out.
HM.Medico

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first torpedo thing is kinda funny, I would think maybe a heat seeker might be able to hit the heat from its engines, and the acoustic makes sense as well, nice work none the less, prolly havn't been able to reporoduce it 'cos torps move fast.

[quote=SKeeM]
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:45 pm Post subject:
I find this all real disturbing. 1 of the reasons that I moved closer to DW and away from games like BF2 was the level of intelect among the players. As we all know all games can be hacked one way or another, or exploited. But in the past 14 months that I have played DW I have come to a point of unpresident respect for the players of this game. Never would I have thought that any player of this game would cheat at all. It takes so much time to learn this game and the real world tactics you need to imploy to be successfull in this game. Sometimes you do all the rite things and still lose. Just because the other guy did his job better. But to lose because the other guy cheated? Thats just BS! These guys need to be weeded out.[/quote]

I agree, this game is really hard to play and harder to play well. Many a time I've been sunk and gone "Nice shot" Many a time the favor has been returned. I dunno, This isn't like CS where people just click and kill, It does need tactics. Many a time I've been killed on this by the AI and thought "I really should've flanked em, GOTTERDAMUNG"

Ah well, we can't just jhope it all goes away, does VAC work on this like it does on the other steam games?
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point is that ALOT of various weird stuff can happen that is just internet or game weirdness. (ex 1 and 2)

then theres the isolated incident thats real (ex 4)

the combined effect results in hysteria, false accusations and general stupidity (ex 3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wildcat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the solution is to host your own game.
Fish

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Multi-player "idiosyncrasies" Reply with quote

Palindromeria wrote:
Had a coupla strange things happen in multi that i thouhgt i should share.
For the most part, I consider them to be the kind of things that are simply a part of internet gameplay.

in one case my mk 48 locked on to a russian torpedo, hit it,and "sank it" !
it showed up as a dead platform on my map for a few minutes and as a kill on my scoreboard. verified in replay. no idea what happened - but in general i initially expected acoustic torps to lock on to other torps alot more anyway. have not been able to reproduce said occurrence.

next torp oddity - fired a klub at a "player1" who was also under attack from "player 2". my torp landed very close to my tma and was clearly tracking sumthing but i heard an explosion - saw dead sub on my map realizing player 2 had sunk player 1, i went back to sonar station to check on another contact. no more than 10 seconds later i heard another explosion on "master2" flipped to map screen saw my torp was gone and patted myself on the back for at least having placed my missile "spot on" (assumed i hit cm) despite another player geting kill. heres the thing, somehow, on my results screen at least , it showed ME as having sunk player 1. thankfully i saw the dead platform b4 my torp exploded knew dang well this another players kill and it was not a stat match of any kind. lotsa frikkin argument potential in that rarity. in replay my torp clearly hit the already dead sub . very rare for torp to hit a dead platform in dw - they seem to be progged to suddenly go magical and pass thru.
again, no idea what happened. will not bother trying to reproduce said occurrence.

next "oddity" turned out to be nothing at all. a player was complaining heavily that sumthing funny was goin on and he was takin names and numbers gonna put the replay under a microscope and send it to all his buddies and he was gonna expose this to the WORLD by gum ! this all because his towed array was washing out "too soon" in his opinion. after putting everyone VERY ill at ease and kinda making them answer to his "find the cheater" detective crap for some 30 min during the game, said knucklehead suddenly realized he had been looking at his hull array the entire time - o gee OOPS .
yeah i got an oops for ya right here buddyboy. Mad

last oddity is real and unfortunately not conjecture.
unnamed player has been hosting mission that i presume he is writing. having played 2 or 3 of these incoming missions and seeing that several people calmly and PRIVATELY concurred (as did i) that "sumthing funny WAS goin on" the host and/or his teammate seemed to sink other players ridiculously quickly. so someone decided to open the mission and have a look. i then opened it in the editor as well to simply confirm what another player was telling me. turned out there was a number of contact triggers with attack scripts written in for the sub the host had chosen and for whomever ended up being his fortuitous but unwitting accomplice sub. basically the instant the host/unwitting teammate got a specific contact on sonar there sub auto fired missile torps sinking the contact more or less immediately. Confused

mets game starts soon Thumbs Up

L8R

I like to see that map if possible? I'll pm my e-mail.
Fish

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildcat wrote:
the solution is to host your own game.

Or use virtual fleet maps, they have a R&D section, and maps are tested.
Palindromeria

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all due respect,
distributing this file to anyone upon request
would not be described as the epitome of wisdom.
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish is the old man of the sea, you can trust him. Laughing

One of his hobbies is tracking down DW cheaters, and he has done it professionally for the SW's and now GNSF for at least a few years. Thumbs Up

So I think it would be best to send him the file.

OKO, Fish, Bellman, OneShot, Molon Labe, Bill Nichols, MaHuJa, TLAM, SeaQueen, Driftwood, Xabbarus, and a few others... all of these people are good as gold (and a few of them are Beta testers as well). Smile

Last edited by LuftWolf on Mon May 01, 2006 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HM.Medico

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me, you can always trust me Very Happy
Bellman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish is the Bankers Banker and the Wizards Wizard Ping
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: