Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Getting over a Subnet.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Von Taticus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Getting over a Subnet. Reply with quote

A while ago I sneaked into Scapa Flow, found a couple of DD and attacked.

Got One, missed the other (100% realism is my excuse).

Anyway I traveled south to find that a subnet had been deployed :huh: I decided to take a run up, surface at the last minute and "go over the top" With quite a bit of scrapping I got over. I damaged the boat a bit but with a bit of repair I was on my way.

Next time I tried it ... I sank Sad ( in a type VII )

Confused Questions

Are their different damage levels for different uboat types? ie can a type IX take more collision damage than a type VII?

Has anybody else done this, Or am I just foolish risking the lives of my crew?

Cheers Von Taticus.
Tonnage_Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you could sail over them myself without gaining any damage, but it appears you can't. I use GW and it places subnets and mines around you home port, so being that I didn't want to damage my u-boat, I opted for going over the subnet. I plotted my course and set speed for ahead standard, which was about 16kts. After setting TC for 64x, I approached the subnet and then I got the death screen saying my boat had been destroyed by a collision. But this is wierd because I figured subnets were simply steel nets bing held up by floatation devices(aren't those what those ball thingys are?) so I figured the nets were only harmful to subs passing underwater and not ships or u-boats travelling on the surface. Apparently I was wrong, but weren't subnets simply a deterent and harmful to u-boats travelling underwater in RL?
raymond6751

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: nets Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but the game is a simulation. I am not sure if the nets were created by modders or the devs, but probably do a random amount of damage. This means it is never certain.

In real life, I think some nets also included some explosive devices like mines.

Anyway, play with fire...
Perilscope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: nets Reply with quote

Tonnage_Ace wrote:
I thought you could sail over them myself without gaining any damage, but it appears you can't.
Sometimes there is an opening on the side where the net lays, you can sneak there without damage.Very Happy

raymond6751 wrote:
I am not sure if the nets were created by modders or the devs….
Devs. The game comes with nets and mines, however if you have a mode installed, and depending on the mod, you probably have more or less of net and mines. They do damage, up to which point…:hmm: I never bumped one, yet! Ping
Tonnage_Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes there is an opening on the side where the net lays, you can sneak there without damage.

Do you mean the spaces in between the flotation devices?
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonnage_Ace wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes there is an opening on the side where the net lays, you can sneak there without damage.

No - nets have a gap. Usually in the center where boats, or subs can sail through. I think that rather than block an entrance, nets are meant (like mines) to reduce the safe passage to a small corridor that can be easily monitored.

Kb
Perilscope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonnage_Ace wrote:
What I meant is that sometimes we can find a space on either side of the net, there you can slip thru just like in the image bellow:

Than of course if a gap is not present, one can surface and pass over the net, just like Von Taticus did. However, I never got any damage doing so. :hmm:
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Pic!!!

yea - that's kinda what i meant. But often there's a bigger hole - no problem to get through, and it's in the center of the net - for normal shipping i guess. I usually try to find one of those.

But should you be port-hunting anyway? I hate 15m water. Gives me the creeps.

Kb
Von Taticus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news (and picture).

I shall be searching for such a hole/gap at Scapa Flow next tour. Very Happy

Cheers Ping
SubSerpent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go around them altogether? Why risk squeezing through one and risk an ended career? :nope:
Von Taticus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you mean that the nets don't travel close enough to the land to block a path.

So it is simply a case of searching for one end o fthe net?
dertechie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hole in the Scapa Flow net, near the middle. I've used it twice to sneak into Scapa Flow in my VIIB, early war. Mind you, I was playing at 29% realism vanilla SH3, with the aid of the external cam. First run I found an empty lake. Second time I sunk a Fiji cruiser. However, running the gauntlet both ways is a great way to get killed. I'm not sure how you would locate the net without the external cam, though. I haven't tried the canals much yet.
Perilscope

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Taticus wrote:
So it is simply a case of searching for one end o fthe net?
Well it is not everywhere like that, but as you said, "it is simply a case of searching". Yep

Keelbuster wrote:
But should you be port-hunting anyway? I hate 15m water. Gives me the creeps.
SubSerpent wrote:
Why not go around them altogether? Why risk squeezing through one and risk an ended career? :nope:
Well, I am bored in the open sea; it is unchallenging for me at this point, I never die or get hit by anything during my patrols, just the occasional light deck damage caused by DC's.

So, going in ports and other shallow area is my favorite pass time because the difficulty level is greatly improved, thus giving me extra game play.

What I like about ports and shallow areas is that if we are unable to predict the course of the enemy ship, and/or determine with precisions the enemy pinging strength relative to our positioning, the enemy can easily find us.Ping

In addition, some great rewards await us in ports. In ports, I killed ships such as the Revenge and the King George V and the Fiji, they are there hopeless. Just avoid being caught! Very Happy

dertechie wrote:
I'm not sure how you would locate the net without the external cam, though.
I use the observation periscope. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: