Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

TMA and range determination
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopTorp '92

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TMA and range determination Reply with quote

Troels K wrote:
Hi Smile

I’m new to Dangerous waters.

I’m having some difficulties determining the correct range to a contact. Damn

At the moment I’m using active sonar to find the range. However, it would be nice if the range could be found without active sonar.

Therefore, how do you guys determine a suitable range to a possible target?

I know the basic TMA like lead/lag course, but the manual says that two or tree legs will result in a single possible solution (page 5-22), these two or tree maneuvers confuses me. Confused

This is probably a huge subject, however, some short guidelines would also be appreciated. Thumbs Up

Thanks in advance.

Troels

Let the auto TMA do do the work. Turn the boat 60 degrees every 20 to 30 min or so. Stay in a lag line of sight. Drive behind the target. Shoot. Clear datum. Then do it all over again tomorrow with another target.

Worry not about the complex math. It's too tedious, time intensive and it will warp your sense of judegement. Watch the sonar broadband display for obvious changes in bearing rate and reposition ownship accordingly. Don't forget to stay in a lag LOS. Drive behind the target. Close the range. Shoot. Clear datum . . . and do it all over again tomorrow . . . with a different target.

Keep a snapshot ready just in case one sneaks up on you.

Top Torp
OKO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TMA and range determination Reply with quote

TopTorp '92 wrote:

Let the auto TMA do do the work. Turn the boat 60 degrees every 20 to 30 min or so.

With manual TMA, you need 4 LOBs on the first leg + 2 corrupted LOBs (course change) + 4 LOBs on the second leg => 10 LOBs

10X2 minutes => in 20 minutes from the second LOBs (first LOB is 4 minutes and not 2 minutes and you better not use it), AND if you respected the record pattern (no depth/course/speed change except beetween the 1st and second leg) you'll have a very accurate and quite "easy to find" solution.

You don't need any math or calculation here, you just need to respect the pattern and start to work when you have enought data.
Then you could use the dot stack with maximum efficiency, for very accurate (less than 5% of range error) solutions, in 2 minutes or less.

Even on a target changing course (but more difficult if the target change her speed), you could follow her with a quite good accuracy, but you will need at least the last 3 or 4 LOBS recorded with a straight path for the target or you will have trouble to determine the exact new course of the target.
Once you have 4 + 4 LOBs on 2 legs, range is not anymore a problem, only target course is still a problem if the target often change her course.
TopTorp '92

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this range issue can be reasonably resolved through an exercise with DW's ability to create scenarios. I recommend that one of our full time gammers do this and make a new thread.

Make a series of scenarios with two vessels in the game: own ship and a target. Place the target at a known bearing and range for each scenario and give it zero speed. Place OS on a known course that is perpendicular to the target. You now know what the bearing rate is for a stationary target for the canned range. You can also measure the bearing rate from the broadband display using an index card as a ruler. The bearing line will be less slanted at narrow aspects and at farther distances. Doing this will build judgement about bearing rate behavior and target range given OS speeds and various LOSs.

The next time you do battle with an on-line gammer, you will have the ability to estimate with reasonable precision target range simply based on the bearing rate and the LOS. ADCAP needs no additional information to find its target.

If all you have is a bearing and no bearing rate or even a bearing drift (you don't know yet whether the target draws left or right) then you can snapshot the target using the bearing you have and enable the torpedo at the minimum range. You still have a wire to the weapon that can update its course and other parameters.

Don't waste too much time polishing the TMA cannon ball thinking you're gonna get the best firing solution available or even get a decent range. You only need to get the best bearing available and use it. This is the way it was done in WWII, during the Cold War and I tell you it is the way it can still be done in this computer game.
OKO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopTorp '92 wrote:

Make a series of scenarios with two vessels in the game: own ship and a target. Place the target at a known bearing and range for each scenario and give it zero speed. Place OS on a known course that is perpendicular to the target. You now know what the bearing rate is for a stationary target for the canned range. You can also measure the bearing rate from the broadband display using an index card as a ruler. The bearing line will be less slanted at narrow aspects and at farther distances. Doing this will build judgement about bearing rate behavior and target range given OS speeds and various LOSs.

I'm sorry but that's really not a good way to proceed =>
you will have near the same bearing rate for a ship going 20 knts at 20 miles and a ship going 10 knts at 10 miles, and also same bearing rate for a ship with a 45° course to you at 20knts and 10 miles.

You definitly CAN'T have a range with this method
And this is why Target Motion Analysis ... was created ...

Quote:
The next time you do battle with an on-line gammer, you will have the ability to estimate with reasonable precision target range simply based on the bearing rate and the LOS. ADCAP needs no additional information to find its target.

If all you have is a bearing and no bearing rate or even a bearing drift (you don't know yet whether the target draws left or right) then you can snapshot the target using the bearing you have and enable the torpedo at the minimum range.

1 rule of torpedo use : Never ever open the seeker to early or your target will fly away.
Certainly one of the biggest mistake to do : nothing easier than to evade a torp pinging you at long range.

Quote:
You still have a wire to the weapon that can update its course and other parameters.

If you don't know the target range, this is completly useless to try to guide a torp.
Is the target at 5 miles or 15 miles ? when do I have to open the seeker to lock the target ?
You talk me about a blind trying to throw the ball into a basket ...

And defender will have all time needed, because you gave him informations about torpedo position and threat, to built a big a efficient wall of CM that will make your torps completly crazy !
You even better open the seeker to late, and then turn the torp to 180° than to open your seeker to early.
because this way, you passed the CM wall (any confirmed skipper should know how to build a good CM wall) and your torp could come back from behind.
So, NEVER open the seeker to early.

Quote:
Don't waste too much time polishing the TMA cannon ball thinking you're gonna get the best firing solution available or even get a decent range.

ok, you probably must be joking : I told you just above
1) just work at TMA when it's time to do and not before (read above...), it takes 2 minutes to make a VERY accurate TMA if you do it at the right time, after you have made a good recording patterns
2) if you apply the method described above, you will have a range at less than 5 % of the real one, say 2% when you are trained.

Quote:
You only need to get the best bearing available and use it. This is the way it was done in WWII, during the Cold War and I tell you it is the way it can still be done in this computer game.

We are not anymore at WWII
torps are now wire guided, are going more than 10 times (for diesel) and 25 times (for nuke) farther than WWII torps, and your sub have much better detection capabilities

On what you said, I can tell you never had a decent solution on a manual TMA. You told me about snapshoters story here.
And a snapshoter against a confirmed skipper, with manual TMA, is just dead meat Rolling Eyes

So I just couldn't agree at all to any of your statments above :nope:
TopTorp '92

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: @Oko Reply with quote

All good and pure criticisms. However, in the snapshot scenario I envisioned earlier ownship's position had already been compromised by the fact that Troel has used his active sonar and I assumed the range to the target had already diminished well inside say 6,000 yds. The point of the exercise I described was to construct a range of possibilities by which we can reasonably estimate target range given only a few moments of bearing rate data. Combined with other clues from sonar (like getting target blade data), this estimate can help you make tactical choices in an environment where time is the commodity. Combine bearing rate from broadband display along with your LOS, use speed from DEMON and you will have a reasonable range estimate to the target using the position-keeping software that is supplied in the game.

In the scenario you mentioned about the same bearing rate for a target doing 20kts at 40kyds (20nm) as a target doing 10kts at 20kyds (10nm) the best way to get a change in bearing rate without turning ownship is to speed up or slow down. Remember, there are two ways to zig: either turn or change speed. Both take time and both will have an impact on sonar's performance.

Also, for the ranges you cited earlier, although this is a game and DW sonar doesn't come with D/E capability (meaning you won't get a feel about range closure), sonar will still be able to provide SNR data for any contact. So, that 40kyd target will sound different from the 20kyd target based on SNR. Sure, my recommended method will not suffice in isolation. But, nobody makes tactical choices in isolation. All available data must be examined, considered and a tactical picture painted on the CEP.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: