Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Who else has stealth bombers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have other countries produced there own stealth bombers?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 20 ]
Kindof sorta
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
I can't decide
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
I like pretty colors
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 36

Deathblow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh its turned into a thread full of star trek spam! *shakes fist menacing* Darn you TLAM!
*goes to look for thread self destruct button*

XabbaRus wrote:
]What I see in the US seems to be the idea that stealth is a panacea. The F-22 may well be the pinacle of fighter design and the stealth characteristics are great in theory in that when all is tucked up inside you can see first and shoot first and get detected later, but for the F-22 to also fulfill a meaningful attack role it will have to carry payload under the wings. They may have developed lower RCS pylons and bomb holders but still a compromise

That was probably the civilian view when the stealth fighter was first revealed with all its mystery. What I've seen in the extended viewpoint is stealth viewed as a way to achieve manpower reductions. Probably along the same line of thinking as the laser guided bomb and the UAV or even the cruise missile. Trying to get the same job with less pilots at risk.... that and helping to increase pilot survival chances. If being in a F22 vs an F15 gives a pilot just that much more of a chance of coming back safely then by all means, stealth away.

Speaking of cruise missiles...... they're probably the *biggest* factor that makes investments in stealth planes superfluous given that cruise missiles have become so effective and can get the job done at less cost and with no pilot risk at all... heck, they fly below radar, they can reach thousands of miles, they do the job and they don't even need a airstrip to land at. Having millions tied up in stealth planes when you could get 100 of cruise missiles for the same cost of 1 plane could be view as makiing stealth obsolete... :hmm:
... perphaps the question should be.... so else has land attack cruise missiles?
Quote:
British Aerospace did build its own stealth fighter, actually more like the F-22 if you saw pictures of it but a bit smaller and I'd say better looking.

Neat, got any pictures?
GreyOctober

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth techology effectiveness (as we know it and as it was demonstrated on the F-117, B2 and F-22) has become rather questionable as reports surfaced that eastern made radars somehow are able to detect these aircraft. So in my oppinion, there is NO stealth aircraft at the moment...just hot air and USAF propaganda.
Wim Libaers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreyOctober wrote:
Stealth techology effectiveness (as we know it and as it was demonstrated on the F-117, B2 and F-22) has become rather questionable as reports surfaced that eastern made radars somehow are able to detect these aircraft. So in my oppinion, there is NO stealth aircraft at the moment...just hot air and USAF propaganda.

It's not the manufacturer, just antenna configuration and wavelength. The current systems are made mostly for the search and fire control radars of standard air defense systems. It has been known for some time that distributed detection systems and longer wavelength radar (as in over the horizon systems) are better against stealth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_bomber

I also see the misconception that the flat panels are needed for good stealth. Not the case, but designing a stealth aircraft with flat panels is easier, because evaluating how and in which direction radar energy will be reflected is simpler. The B2 has a curved surface, and good stealth, but required more sophisticated modeling.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/electronics/q0168.shtml
Deathblow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreyOctober wrote:

Of course it can be tracked. Building a airplane that cannot be detected is like building a submarine that cannot be tracked. It doesn't exist. But there are advantages to reduced radar cross section no doubt.
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you do We can do better!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: