Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

How do I determine speed in manual targeting?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kpt. Franz-Josef Lemmle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: How do I determine speed in manual targeting? Reply with quote

I am trying to learn how to completely manually target the ships. I know how to identify the ship, determine AOB (pretty much a guess), and range. How do I determine speed? I see the eyeball icon with two ships in the notepad. I click on the stopwatch, but have no idea what I am doing. Any tips?
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You could just read the manual...
2. Aim the crosshair in the certain spot in the target, start the clock, be careful you keep the crosshair in the very very same place on the target (that's hard), wait some 15 seconds and stop the clock. Now you have targets speed +/- maybe 3 knots.
3. If you are not a hardcore type, you can just use the lock button on the scope...

Good luck to you, commander!

-RC-
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, you could forget the clock. Just estimate the speed. If you think target is making about 6 - 8 knots, use 7. Shoot a salvo if you are not sure at all. When using salvo, think what could be the best spread angle. Default 5 degrees is usually too much if you are not very close. I use most of the time 1 or two degrees. That's enough.

-RC-
Heibges

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before May 1943, you can use the matching speed method on the surface. After that, it is hard to stay on the surface.

Determine target course, and get on a parallel course. Note the bearing. Fiddle with your speed, until the bearing doesn't change anymore. Now your speed should equal the target speed.

Very easy to do during your overhaul manuever.

But once allied aircover and radar do not allow you to overhaul on the surface, you need to use the change in bearing method discussed above.
Phylacista

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read wazoos excellent manual on manual TDC?
Do so: http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/

It will offer you undiscovered possibilities and you will see SH3 in a different view - at least this is what happend to me after reading.

And to answer your original question:

1. id ship and check the box in the rec manual - ship type displays in notepad
2. estimate distacne by clicking on the first step of notepad and leveling the horizontal line now appering in periscope on highest mast.
3. guess Angel on bow (AOB)- click on 2nd step of notepad. The ship in the center is your target not your uboat.
4. lock target if you have not done so and click the stopwatch. Click again after some time (min 10s). Above values are used to estimate target speed. Check in the manual if the displayed value is reasonable. If not repeat steps 2-4.
5. click on the checkbox in the lower right corner of notepad to transfer data to TDC
6. LOS! (dont forget to open tube doors before firing or even better beforte TDC)

However I prefer to get my data from plotting and enter them manually in TDC. Its more accurate.
don1reed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kaleun, how frisky do you feel? Here's another wrinkle...

If you'd like to build your own circular sliderule like the ones they had aboard vessels of the period...here's one you can easily make that is 8" in diameter:(goto the bottom of the page)
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/build.html

I made one and had Kinkos laminate it in plastic...

Here's how you use it...

adjust your speed and course to where the target ship maintains a constant bearing in scope or UZO...it's called a collision course...

place target's AOB (in degrees, sine scale) under your speed. then above the bearing to the target (in degrees, sine scale), read it's speed.

Confused? well, that lil description above mathematically satified the rules of the LAW OF SINES: a/sin A = b/sin B = c/sin C. You can do it easier with an electronic calc.

Here's another method: down 'n dirty

uboat at all stop.
target ship crossing your path on perpendicular course.

begin stopwatch when it's bow cross vertical reticule in optics.
stop stopwatch when fantail crosses the line.

math: length of target meters / time in seconds x 1.94 = speed.

Last edited by don1reed on Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosencrantz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember Kretschmer. Once he just raised his hand used it as assistant while shooting... Got his target sink. Well, papa K was well known to be KMs "torpedo sniper", before the war actually.

-RC-
greyrider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosencrantz wrote:
Quote:
Just remember Kretschmer. Once he just raised his hand used it as assistant while shooting... Got his target sink. Well, papa K was well known to be KMs "torpedo sniper", before the war actually.

you mean like this rosie?

this is a fine way, as long as you understand the observer to target factor, OT factor.
Heibges

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the MILS method to determine range.
Joe S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way they did it in WWII was to measure the distance the target travelled in a minute. Mark the target's position on your chart and start a stopwatch. You can use any stopwatch or wristwatch that has a second hand. Mark the target's position exactly one minute after you start timing. Measure the distance travelled in one minute and you know what the speed is. I use a table of speed calculated in advance. For instance, 216 meters in one minuted = seven knots. If you cannot mark the target's position on the game chart due to difficulty settings, make your own chart. Put a point in the middle of a piece of paper marking the position of your boat. Using a 360 degree protractor find the relative bearing of the target and using whatever scale is appropriate for the situation, such as one inch + 1,000 meters, mark the position of the target relative to your boat. After one, two or three minutes, mark the target's new position on the chart and measure the distance travelled and calculate the speed. If your boat is submerged and you are moving at a low speed, and doing the calculations based on one minute of travel, your boat probably does not travel far enough to worry about. If you are doing the calculation over a period of several minutes, you should mark the new position of your boat before you plot the new position of the target. It is helpful to have another player handle the "Manual plot," and actually maked it a two player game, which adds a lot to the fun. I hope this is helpful to you. Joe S
GreyOctober

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heibges wrote:
I use the MILS method to determine range.

OK since you brought this up... how many MILS equals one unit on the scope on 1x, 4x and 6x?

As for my methods, i go for eyeballing target speed (taking note of the distance to target, target type and AOB). Quite imprecise but if theres no time for precise calculations, its the way to go. Its best to aim for the middle of the ship in these conditions because if the actual speed is greater or lower than the guessed one, you can still have a chance of hitting fore of aft of the ship.

Second choice, only when time permits is to go PD and listen the engines, counting the RPMs and determining the speed according to some charts. Sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. But its good to get a general ideea of what you may encounter before getting visual.

Third, using the general formula s=d/t. This one depends very much on how accurate you can measure the distance to target and if you identify the target correctlly. Draw a line from your current position to the target on the bearing. Next GUESS the angle on bow (needs practice). Select the angle tool, click anywhere on the previouslly drawn line and extend it all the way to the target and then extend the angle untill you reach a value close to what youve guessed. Careful, at long ranges, 1 or 2 degrees are important. You now have the targets approximate course. Start the stopwatch. Wait one minute and stop. Take another bearing and distance measurement and draw another line. If the distance to target now intersects with the course then you MAY be spot on. If not the you guessed the AOB wrong or measured the distance impreciselly (take 2 or 3 distance measurements always). Next measure the point to point distance along the targets course and apply the formula s=d/t

As a last resort (in my case) i use the stock automatic speed measurement. I find it very imprecise, sometimes beeing off my 2 or 3 knots, althought i measure for 3 minutes and 15 seconds or more.

Cheers!
Heibges

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just used the 1.5X on the Attack Periscope. For range- finding purposes it is not neccessary to know the exact number of MILS fortunately. You can just as easily use "blocks" on the stadimeter as the unit of comparisson, as I have done below.

...........................1200m.............600m
C2 Merchant.........6.....................12
C3 Merchant.........7.....................14
don1reed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more fun items:

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~astr100/astr111/Angles.pdf

enjoy.

The point is, as they say, there are many ways to skin a cat, "your job, Mr. Phelps, if you choose to", is to find the method that best suits your style.

Cheers,
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: