Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

How the #*$# Do I get the demon display to work???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Momar69

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: How the #*$# Do I get the demon display to work??? Reply with quote

Ive assigned trackers to both my Narrowband and broadband display but whenever i go to the demon to get the speed nothing will appear? How do i get that damn demon to spit out some lines?
kgsuarez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are not close enough to the target? :hmm:
Momar69

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to truth I turned on after I was frustrated I was plenty close, or what I expected to be close. It was under 5nm, close to 2 and a half id say but there was no readout.

Also if you get info from the link, say a Tico on the surface and your in a sub, is that extremely reliable. IE: Should I continue to prosecute a target or just launch an ADCAP his way?
goldorak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: How the #*$# Do I get the demon display to work??? Reply with quote

Momar69 wrote:
Ive assigned trackers to both my Narrowband and broadband display but whenever i go to the demon to get the speed nothing will appear? How do i get that damn demon to spit out some lines?

You only need to assign the tracker in broadband to use the demon, narrowband is irrelevant.
Now as to why you don't see any lines : maybe you maneuvered and the contact entered your baffle area, in that case you can't obeserve any lines in demon station, another reason could be you locked on a biologic, or you didn't set accordingly the scale of frequencies.
Wildcat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark your contacts on broadband before marking them on narrowband. If you already marked on narrowband, drop the contact and remark it from broadband first.
Momar69

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildcat wrote:
Mark your contacts on broadband before marking them on narrowband. If you already marked on narrowband, drop the contact and remark it from broadband first.

Is this only to get the contact on the Demon display or is it just a general rule? I thought the Narrowband was where you found a contact and classified it, then moved over to the broadband.
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momar69 wrote:
Is this only to get the contact on the Demon display or is it just a general rule? I thought the Narrowband was where you found a contact and classified it, then moved over to the broadband.

I believe this is simply to get the contact on the DEMON. However I don't believe it is normally necessary. If I remember correctly I can usually mark a contact on narrowband, then on broadband after a while, merge the two in TMA, and then get the DEMON to work properly.

But, I could be wrong, so if you still cannot get anything on DEMON, dropping the contact altogether and re-marking on broadband should work. But it is not a general rule.
compressioncut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this for a fact, but with the new acoustic modeling, sound channel cutoff frequency may be a deciding factor in whether or not you get anything on your demon display.

Blade rates for major warshps and submarines are going to fall under 20Hz, with shaft components obviously being even lower. Frequencies in that range won't be affected by most ducting or channelling. That said, at 5nm you'd be in direct path country, so I dunno. But, if you were both in a surface duct it could be that his blade and shaft components took off someplace else - I've seen the effect in real life off of very loud surface contacts. You get any number of sources except blade and shaft, just because they fall well outside the sound channel's frequency cutoff.
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I believe this is simply to get the contact on the DEMON. However I don't believe it is normally necessary. If I remember correctly I can usually mark a contact on narrowband, then on broadband after a while, merge the two in TMA, and then get the DEMON to work properly.

This sounds correct in that you should pick up lower frequencies at a longer range (Narrow band) and then as you approach you should be able to pick the contact up on Broadband and then to the DEMON. This is where some of the maneuvering fun comes in. Achieving a Lag LOS and approaching the target to get him on both Broad and Narrow at the same time, etc.
OKO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultraboy wrote:

But, I could be wrong, so if you still cannot get anything on DEMON, dropping the contact altogether and re-marking on broadband should work. But it is not a general rule.

You should have made some confusion : If you already marked a contact on the NB, you can assign later a tracker to the SAME contact on BB.
But as this is the SAME sierra, you don't have anything to merge at all : it's the same ...
Bill Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momar69 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

There's definitely a bug with DEMON (reported many times by the playtesters). If you mark a contact first with Narrowband, then the DEMON doesn't work. :hulk: The contact must first be marked with broadband, as Wildcat describes.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renzie & co. actually partially fixed this in 1.02, I think. It used to be that, in the Akula, you'd have to drop the contact completely if you marked it in NB first. Now, you usually just have to remove the tracker first, and most of the time (I think) it doesn't care if you've already marked in NB (as with the American subs from the beginning).
sonar732

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested this and confirm that if you assign a tracker in NB, the DEMON won't show up.
SeaQueen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compressioncut wrote:
I don't know this for a fact, but with the new acoustic modeling, sound channel cutoff frequency may be a deciding factor in whether or not you get anything on your demon display.

So far I haven't noticed the sim worrying about cutoff frequencies. I remember that specifically because I frequently get a 50Hz tonal, when the duct was only like 150ft deep. That didn't sound right to me.
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonar732 wrote:
I just tested this and confirm that if you assign a tracker in NB, the DEMON won't show up.

Well of course it won't, and it's not supposed to! The issue is whether it is working when you mark it in BB after marking it in NB first!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: