Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

1939 Magnetic Pistol chances...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakeeyes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: 1939 Magnetic Pistol chances... Reply with quote

Okay...what are the chances of a magnetic pistol working on torpedos in 1939 and 1940 with the RUB mod??????

I'm finding that there are times when a dud is worth the risk.
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea - in 39/40, I tend to stay with impact.

BUT

With the TW damage model, one-sided hits are a lot less effective than two-sided hits in reducing buoyancy - i think that a keelshot breaks compartments on both sides of the keel - double damage essentially. With impact shots, I find you can blow compartments all along one side of a ship without sinking it - it just gets a wicked list.

So - Mags are the best, but the riskiest. I never use them in anything but calm weather - a premature det isn't just a dud - it screws up all the other shots that were fired with it.

Also - I've found that you have to get the depth right - you want the mag to go like 0.5m under the keel - no more. I've seen a few sail under without going off.

So - with a big ship, you want to break as many compartments as possible, so go with a mag (weather permitting). Start with a T2 mag under the keel ( i usually go for bow because a heavy bow can basically stop the ship) and follow if necessary, with fast T1s set to impact all along the side. That should do her.

Kb
Keelbuster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea - sry - the reason to start with the T2 mag is that if she doesn't blow, then there's no alarm. In 39, before there are T2s, I stick with impact.

Also - you can get keelshots with impact, but it's unlikely because of the curvature of the hull. Still, withi mpact I always try to go as deep as possible without having it bounce.

Not sure if I answered your q; I don't know the numbers,

Kb.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: