Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Type IXC is a pig!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCIP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're spoiled Yep

I'm a IX skipper at heart, and I wouldn't trade these boats for anything. Thumbs Up

Sure they're a little sluggish underwater. But that makes them more of a challenge. And their torpedo stores, surface performance and range more than make up for whatever deficiencies they have.
Ducimus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCIP! YOU!!

Im going to beat your patrol!

From your patrol log at wolves at war:
Quote:
346 days at sea, 15 ships for 74,891gr.t. sunk, 7 aircraft shot down

If that was on ONE patrol I AM GOING TO BEAT THAT! Time wise anyway, i can't garuntee ill beat the tonnage. But i am going to try and set a record for the longest patrol Very Happy Did you use a milk cow or not?

EDIT: oh bah, you stopped in penang. I thought 346 days in one go was a bit exteme. Still, im going to try and set the record for the longest single patrol. Very Happy
waste gate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different mind set. Stealth? I don't know, usually I tally 50k+ in the tonnage in my type VIIs.. I enjoy the hit'em and leaving guessing.

When in high scool I ran the 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds and I drive a turbo charged automobile today(I like speed). If patients is a virtue, and seersucker is a fabric, then I guess I don't have what it takes to be a type IX skipper.

Thank you all for your replies and
'sink them all'

waste gate
CCIP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducimus wrote:
CCIP! YOU!!

Im going to beat your patrol!

From your patrol log at wolves at war:
Quote:
346 days at sea, 15 ships for 74,891gr.t. sunk, 7 aircraft shot down

If that was on ONE patrol I AM GOING TO BEAT THAT! Time wise anyway, i can't garuntee ill beat the tonnage. But i am going to try and set a record for the longest patrol Very Happy Did you use a milk cow or not?

EDIT: oh bah, you stopped in penang. I thought 346 days in one go was a bit exteme. Still, im going to try and set the record for the longest single patrol. Very Happy

No, that was actually from a couple of patrols - I only sank about 40,000 on that patrol, and spent 271 days at sea (with 3 stops in between).

The longest single stretch of that cruise was over 100 days.

It's still the longest successful WaW patrol though Neutral\
Ducimus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 days?
i can beat that easily Very Happy Hell, ive racked up quite a few 80-88 day patrol in an IXC (although i was sucking fumes when i pulled into lorient). So im pretty sure i can do well over 100 days in an IXD2. Ive got me a new challenge in this game. Very Happy

waste gate,

Yeah i suppose you need a fair ammount of patience for an IX boat. Long transits, and constant submerge/surface routines can be tedious.
Heibges

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a 135 day patrol to Capetown and back without stopping and refueling.
Ducimus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heibges wrote:
I went on a 135 day patrol to Capetown and back without stopping and refueling.

Longest patrol ever was made by Eitel-Friedrich Kentrat in U-196. On his first patrol in that boat, he was at sea for 225 days. His second patrol in that boat was also longer then 5 months.

Now, he had to have used a milk cow. I find it hard to believe he didn't. Even if they ate canned food, theres no way provisions on board would have lasted that long.

Now the question is, for my intents and purposes, do we allow the use of a milk cow or not? I'm thinking no milk cows Very Happy
kiwi_2005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men that are not afraid to die command a IX boat Razz

The IXD2 are my favourite yes very slow in dive time, this is why i usually stay on the surface when a aircraft is spotted its flank speed and zigzag, and flak gunners going like crazy to shoot her down.
kiwi_2005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Longest patrol ever was made by Eitel-Friedrich Kentrat in U-196. On his first patrol in that boat, he was at sea for 225 days. His second patrol in that boat was also longer then 5 months.

Another long patrol (Left Kiel in May 1944) in a IX U boat was U 862 Commander Heinrich Timm. (over the course of two operation patrols and twelve months) U862 travel further from home than any other German U-boat of the Second World War. She sailed to Australian & later New Zealand waters . Along the way she sunk 7 merchant ships, shot down 2 aircaft and was indirectly responsible for the loss of two others when elsewhere the average exchange rate was two U-boats lost for each Aliied ship sunk.
Hartmann

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that IX boats need different tactics and strategies than other smaller boats.

The danger from aircrafts could be solved with submerged at day or using the snorchel at night

I´m very happy with the IX boats because i played a lot with SH1 in the pacific scenario with american subs like gato and balao.and i think that are similar in speed, size,and torpedo load. Thumbs Up
mike_espo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the IX boats Thumbs Up Yep

Being a Chicago boy, I have the opportunity to visit U-505 a number of times. Definately, my favorite boat. Trully a war machine. I also visited the USS Pampanito, a Gato, much larger that the U-505, felt like being in a jumbo jet.... I Much like the U-505 better!

The type IX is faster on the surface than the type VII. I also like the larger crew, more fun to manage.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Silent Hunter III All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: