Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

SH60 piloting tricks

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: SH60 piloting tricks Reply with quote

So I have been trying my hand at the SH60 for grins.

So far I like the platform except for one exceptional problem which, in many ways, renders the SH60 as a "mini-Orion".

A helo's main advantage is to hover and then to proceed from place to place without having to fly big figure "8s". So I was trying to move the SH60 along a somewhat complicated set of waypoints. I noticed that it was overflying the waypoints and acting far more like a fixed wing instead of a helo.

But I said to myself, no problem. The Ai just isn't refined enough to really take advantage of the helo's flight characteristics. So I changed my waypoint configuration to "one-at-a-time" and allowed the helo to come to a hover at each way point before proceeding to the next one.

Boy was I surprised and disappointed when the helo, starting from a hover, had to fly a rather large (nearly 2 nm circle) to come about to the new course heading.

*Sarcasm on* Did the programmers not notice that there is this large, fan-like device on the SH60. It's called a tail-rotor and it serves to stabilize the yaw/heading of the helo. When a helo is in a hover and needs to change from a heading of 090 to 270, the pilot simply eases up on the rotor and the helo pivots in place. It can then proceed along the new heading. *Sarcasm off*.

Now, I will admit that initially, I did not see this taking place and/or I was more concerned with my sonobouys. I will pay closer attention next time. Perhaps I changed something and didn't realise it. But I don't think so.
It certainly makes setting up MAD runs far more tedious with the SH60 than need be if this behaviour persists.
Wim Libaers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want them to fly like that, try letting them stop, then set a new course (not a waypoint, just point them in the direction where you will put the new waypoint), and then give it the waypoint (or just a speed).
Sgian Dubh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just confirmed that they waypoints issue is real.

I will try changing course manually first. A bit of micromanagement that is irritating, but so long as there is a work-around.
swimsalot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly the Seahwak alot, and to be honest I rarely use the waypoints.
In the Orion I often do, as there is so much information to process, with 16grams, and higher speeds.
The helo has rather limited incoming info, so I typically use manual course settings; thus, I never have the course errors you are getting.

Good Luck!
Ultraboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I really have to work on. For the moment I kind of rely on the waypoints, or at least autopilot, because years of Battlefield 2/Battlefield Vietnam have ruined my helicopter flying ability.
As swimsalot said, using manual course settings is a decent alternative, and when used in concert with speed/altitude hotkeys can work pretty good.

But, after reading Red Storm Rising again, I find myself wanting to actually fly the thing, and early tests have shown I need some work. :doh:
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoving in the helo always worked fine for me... I use the "0" or HOVER command, as it is named, oddly enough... Laughing
Linton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will never be a flightsim with some tactical work thrown in,but rather the opposite.Being pedantic helicopters are usually flown from the rhs.Also you do not rudder the helicopter around-the disc actually tilts to do this.
Bellman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L: Well I'm sure your 'colleagues' woud'nt approve of your Gunship 2000 type simplification but understandable here
for brevity purposes.In fact flying a helicopter requires a subtle blend of inputs form the cyclic, collective and throttle.
Its a question of managing imbalance.

Many heli flight sims were produced in the 90s - I own and flew most. The majority over simplified and only Microsoft
captured some of the essence.

IMO the MH60 in game is appropriate for its simulated tasks and its ease of operation judged for the general
non-flight sim punter. Thats not to say we cant be pickey about elements of its performance !
Wildcat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the blackhawk helicopter is piloted from the left seat in real life, so it's represented accurately in the game in that respect.

The hover thing is definately irritating, sometimes the helo just takes off while I have the dipping sonar down and rips it off the aircraft, even on autopilot. So I generally just leave the helo flying to the computer, I'm more than happy enough just driving the FFG.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: