Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

How to Get SSGN's to Engage Most Effectively
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Nichols wrote:
Luftwolf -- Do you actually need a 'linking platform'? Didn't you say in another thread,

"Well, I'm sure you guys know this, but I have found that you can use a script with the EnterSolution command on the target platform and then follow that command with an engage script, and it works beautifully! "

Confused

Sometimes it works, but most times it doesn't... I was a little exuberant when I made that post, just happy that I could get them to launch more than one missile at a time without changing the database or doctrines. I ran the scenarios with DBGViewer and without a linking platform, most times the forced tracks will get dropped without a shot, and even if they do fire, they won't sustain the firing.

Last edited by LuftWolf on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormrider_sp wrote:
The OSCAR has diagonal tubes for its shipwrecks missiles, so I guess it can launch all at once. There ain´t no reload time.

There is no reload time, but 24 missiles, all fired at once, would create a huge amount of interference between the missiles on launch and during flight (just think of 24 two ton objects shooting 50 meters up through the water and accelerating to Mach 2.0). And they are radar guided after all, and if they all showed up on each other's radar, well you can imagine what would happen.

Also, with all respect, I spent a lot of time getting this far... do you have any ideas how to make it work better? :hmm: Wink It is my opinion, that they are working the way they should now.

In addition, it is doubtful that a human-linked contact will be sufficient, you will most likely need to have an AI linking platform, due to the inherent game-engine differences between AI-link and human-link, but I have yet to test this thoroughly... like other aspects of game behavior, it probably will depend on the situation. Also, since it is probably best to have all of the Oscars and the linking airplatforms on different sides, your link information will not be shared with them.

Last edited by LuftWolf on Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Changing theme: I was wrong when saying the link plane was a Bear. It was a E-3. My first tries were with Bear, and now I tested again with it. The Oscar becames less agressive and doesn't launch the 6-8 missile salvo. Also spread more the launches and doesn't concentrate as many as she make when using a E-3.

Maybe is for the RADAR source?

I just tested my four Oscar scenario with Bears instead of E-3's and I was able to get the exact same performance. I also checked the database, and the Bear has exactly the same radar parameters as the E-3, so they should be totally interchangable. Smile
OKO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold fire, I repeat : HOLD FIRE, this was just an exercice.
silly guys with missiles .... Laughing
FERdeBOER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I supposed the Bear should be equal as the E-3, but the times I've tried the mission (more than 10), when is a Bear, the Oscar is less agressive. Of course she launches the four missile salvo, but not the 6-8 almost consecutive that I've seen with the E-3. I will try again.
I've made screenshots, but I don't know how to put one here, if you explain me that, I'll put one.

Another thing I noticed is that, the closer the plane goes to the objetive, more missiles launch the Oscar. And when I say closer, I mean CLOSER :doh:

I'm excited with this new toy Rock
Molon Labe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FERdeBOER wrote:
I supposed the Bear should be equal as the E-3, but the times I've tried the mission (more than 10), when is a Bear, the Oscar is less agressive. Of course she launches the four missile salvo, but not the 6-8 almost consecutive that I've seen with the E-3. I will try again.
I've made screenshots, but I don't know how to put one here, if you explain me that, I'll put one.

Another thing I noticed is that, the closer the plane goes to the objetive, more missiles launch the Oscar. And when I say closer, I mean CLOSER :doh:

I'm excited with this new toy Rock

I'm guessing closer = more targets classifed hostile = more targets the Ocsar will actually shoot at.
XabbaRus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is do the Oscars run out of missiles?

I am sure they do but the way they salvo I lose count of how many missiles they have.

I tried it last night and only 2 ships from a US CVBG survived.

However it also showcased how the damage model is flawed.

After a strike from the stern corner by a Shipwreck, an Arleigh Burke could still manage 20 knots and launch an MH-60.

But was fun to watch.
FERdeBOER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they run out of missiles. I believe 24.

And yes, I saw a TarantulIII running a 17 knots with 90% damage.

And yes, is very nice fun see!
Kapitan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see you have been experimenting with our submarines luftwolf

good work too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Oscars do run out of missiles, they carry 24 in two launchers, so 12x2.

Thanks Kap, the Oscar is quite a weapon. Rock
Kapitan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes id hate to either be on the reciving end of its missiles or be behind it during a crazy ivad sheesh 24,000 tonnes and they wanna let ivan swing on by yeah im sure pancake day come early
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumps for ML. Neutral\
LuftWolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info on the Shipwreck, especially regarding how we as mission designers can use spotting aircraft for SSGN's and ships of line equipped with the Shipwreck or other long range ASM's.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/ss-n-19.htm

Quote:
The missile is believed to have an inertial guidance system possibly with provision for mid-course guidance in over-the-horizon (OTH) engagements although this seems unlikely. Following the usual Soviet practice the missile employs active radar terminal guidance. It uses a 750 kg high explosive warhead with impact and proximity fuses. Alternative payloads were reported to be nuclear or fuel-air explosive. However, it seems more probable that the aircraft and the satellite feed target location data to the ships, and it is noteworthy that all the ‘Shipwreck’ launch platforms carry ‘Punch Bowl’ satellite communications systems.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DW Mission Designers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: