Forum Index
SUBSIM Forum Search

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!
[ SUBSIM Review ] [ SUBSIM STORE ]
Current Forum | Archives 2002-2003 |

Why does DW make my video card squeal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syxx_Killer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am expecting it. It has been acting up for a few months now. I guess when it goes it goes. :doh: :8Cool Although, as I said before, the only time I hear the high pitched noise is with DW. Any other time, the screen has a few other anomalies that happen.
GunnersMate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that happen too where only one game was messed up and I spent a long time on forums, w/ phone tech support, at my B&M computer place. Drove me right batty :8Cool :doh:
I can find you a cheap price for a new one if you want. - Don't use Ebay or a "reconditioned" one :dead:
XanderF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just got a new video card - Radeon X1600XT.

And....same thing. Squealing.

Damn
XanderF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just put a big-time update into the original post, going through all the testing I've done.
Zerogreat

Location: Czech Republic, Prague, coordinates are sumthin like 50,10 North 14,25 East, not much accurate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago my mainboard somehow died and i needed a replacement. So i bought the first one suitable for my computer. It was ASUS A7V600-F (the old was A7V333-X or 300-X ? i cant remember right now) .. well it is a very crappy MB, because later i found, that this -F variant is something that should not be sold, its only for siemens built computers and asus has no support for it :doh:

It does some strange things like rebooting when i connect my phone via USB cable (had to buy bluetooth), but more important for this thread is, that i hear strange noises from the computer at certain occasions...

Sometims it is strange high pitched noise, sometimes it sounds like cd drive trying to read a damaged cd... but it does not comes from cd drives.. maybe it is the mainboard, maybe my graphics card (Radeon 9600 PRO), but it began after i installed the new MB.

It also happens just in certain situations... :8Cool
porphy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have this issue as well. When I first got DW everything was fine, so its not there in vanilla DW, but with the subsequent patches "squeeling" showed up and has not gone away. Changing settings for graphic card will not affect this. I have a Leadtek 6800GT. No sounds in other games. I rarely play DW now because the sound is disturbing and somehow I doubt it's any god for the card doing this for hours. I still have some faint hope for 1.04, but not much as it doesn't seem to affect that many people.

Cheers Porphy
Jamie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I actually emailed nVidia about this months ago to see if I could get some more info about it... but had no success Sad
(i.e. either my email was never read or the tech guy at nVidia thought I was NUTS! Joking )

I'm assuming we're doing something different in the rendering of 2D/3D data to the back buffer of the video card and was hoping they could give me some advice on how to approach it differently...

I'll try again and see if I can get a response this time. Wink
porphy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the effort Jamie. Thumbs Up I hope they respond this time. We aren't that many that get the squeeling (so it seems) but its really disturbing, even if it sounds nuts. :8Cool

Cheers Porphy
XanderF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porphy wrote:
Thanks for the effort Jamie. Thumbs Up I hope they respond this time. We aren't that many that get the squeeling (so it seems) but its really disturbing, even if it sounds nuts. :8Cool

Cheers Porphy

And perhaps the manufacturer matters.

It *has* happened on many ATI cards. IIRC, the Powercolor X1600XT actually did not squeal, but the Asus X1600XT definitely does. Both the X800XL (Rosewill) and X800XT (Gigabyte) I had squealed, as well. However, the motherboard chipsets (ATI Xpress200 in an ST20G5 system and ATI Xpress200 on a Jetway A210GDMS-Pro motherboard) do not.

My best guess would be some power regulator on the card not liking how DW is using it, and as the power regulators used vary GREATLY by manufacturer (Asus vs Gigabyte vs Powercolor, etc), that could explain why so many people hear squealing.

EDIT: If everyone who posted here wouldn't mind posting in the other thread, to help narrow this down - that'd be great!
Deathblow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerous Waters actually FIXED my video card. Surprised Weirdest thing I've ever seen and I still can't explain it fully.

I've got a bum 9800pro that went bad about a year ago when it started blurring the screen colors. I switched it out for another 9800Pro, but that too went bad about a month ago (those 9800 are terribly unreliable), so while I got a new one I plugged the old card back in.

So for about 3 weeks I was computing with a terribly blurrly color smeared card, and was not playing DW at the time (took a break from playing the game). Lo and behold I boot up DW one day and miraculously, the blurrieness that had been there for the last 3 weeks, persisting thru all applications, internet, email, MS software, etc suddenly and instantly disappears whenever I boot the game! Surprised :huh: :dead: Neutral\ :hmm: .

Best thing is, that the color blurring has never come back after than initial DW bootup :sunny: Its so weird I'm not even going to open my tower to look at the card. SCS such put this on the lable as an advertisement. "Our game can cure bad graphics cards! Magical programming" Neutral\ Razz
Sea Demon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question. How do we know it's a video card issue?

I will respect your wishes, XanderF, to not discuss on the other topic. But I will say here that the squeeling issue is very minor on my machine. It's hardly noticeable. But nevertheless, it's still there. Frankly, it doesn't bother me that much. But if there's a way to eliminate it, I'd certainly like to know.
Zerogreat

Location: Czech Republic, Prague, coordinates are sumthin like 50,10 North 14,25 East, not much accurate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Demon wrote:

I think its a mainboard issue Smile Because for me, it all began after replacing my MB.
XanderF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Demon wrote:

I will respect your wishes, XanderF, to not discuss on the other topic. But I will say here that the squeeling issue is very minor on my machine. It's hardly noticeable. But nevertheless, it's still there. Frankly, it doesn't bother me that much. But if there's a way to eliminate it, I'd certainly like to know.

Well, the primary clue would be - when you take the video card out, and use the onboard video, it goes away.

Now, I could see your question being 'is it perhaps the PCI-E slot on the mobo?'....which is certainly valid. Except there isn't really anything regarding that which *could* cause this problem, changing a video card setting makes it stop (enabling 4xAA), and the sound *sounds* like it is coming from the video card.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Dangerous Waters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: